Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 06-12-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by skaduzy
I am getting my Gramma's machine from my cousin as soon as I drive to Connecticut to get it. I really want to try to sew with it and saw a place online to order a manual called Relics.
I have pictures which I will try to send but sure I will be missing some things. I am really excited as I used to sit on her lap as she treadled away on this machine.

Skaduzy, that is a beautiful W&W 9W and the cabinet is just to drool over!~ Geeze I love those Wheeler & Wilson machines, they are like the aristocrates of the sewing world! What a wonderful piece, your Gramma had exquisite taste!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-12-2011 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Launie
Ummm. well I will figure out this pic thing after dinner....

Launie that is a really nice 15-91! I am not sure about the attachment? Usually, those attachments like that one screw into the bed for seam allowances, but I have not seen one like yours? If Charlee sees your post she can probably answer that question.

Nancy

vintagemotif 06-12-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by skaduzy
I am getting my Gramma's machine from my cousin as soon as I drive to Connecticut to get it. I really want to try to sew with it and saw a place online to order a manual called Relics.
I have pictures which I will try to send but sure I will be missing some things. I am really excited as I used to sit on her lap as she treadled away on this machine.

Beautiful cabinet! and machine too! I think you will be needing some addition parts before you can sew with her-unless those parts are with the machine now, just not on machine.

Enjoy!

vintagemotif 06-12-2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Sorry Nancy that I didn't check on you earlier today.

I went to pick up my 2nd Davis Vertical Feed NVF with motor. I then spent the afternoon taking motor off, cleaning, and treadling with it. This Davis NVF had been sitting on the SF CLs work weeks, around a month. I waited and waited for someone to pick it up, but nah that never happened. So, I called the guy yesterday. The machine was a donation, and the money from selling this machine goes to an after-school program that benefits the handicap. When he told me that, I was like, I'll definitely purchase the machine. He was elated! Started telling me all about the machine and how it works. heehee. I let him talk yesterday, but today when he wanted to show me how it worked I told him I already own one that I treadled. I told him I made quilts with vintage sewing machines. He asked if I would like to teach a class!

Okay, back to your situation, which really is very simple once you figure out how the pin works. Which is way cool! And very clever of whoever designed the spool can!

And yes, I wish the spool can had become more popular than the bobbins. Who knows, maybe someone from X sewing machine company will bring that technology back-along with the cute spools.

I don't have original manual, but a copy. On the page that shows the spool can with the numbers and letter K, figure 10, that is what you first need to look at. The part of letter K, the top part of the pin, is were you need to look. The little knob at top needs to be pushed down (which is what you were doing when getting the can into proper place for sewing). If you take a small flat head screw driver and push that little knob down, you will see a groove for you small screw driver to fit into. That is where you will turn the mechanism for adjusting the pin. With my "Cowboy" that little knob at first didn't want to move down, took some muscles to get it loose.

On my next page (which should be yours too) is a section called "The Spool Case Lock". Please read that section, which explains the direction to turn the pin for it to sit correctly.

The turning screw of the pin adjusts the height of the pin for the can to sit in machine.

I hope that helps you! If not let me know.

Geeze Monica, you are sure getting some nice machines! I love my Davis Vertical Feed, but I don't have the New Davis Vertical Feed. Isn't the NVF the one that takes regular 15 x 1 needles? I believe it is. Mine has to take the Davis longs, but I have an ample supply of them now! I am glad you got the machine! Are you going to keep both of them?

Ok, I do have the original book. I have read and re-read the page you are referring to. Page 8 "The Spool Case Lock" does explain about the little plunger and the screw driver, but my problem is this. "Inserting the Spool Case" Figure 11 says ". . . . . place the spool case on the spindle , then push it down as far as it will go and press it inward with the finger until it locks into place. If it fails to lock, the case is not in the correct position to fit properly. By turning it slightly to the right or left, it can be pushed down so it will lock in proper position."

Well, I did all that and I can't figure out how to hold that little plunger down and insert the case while keeping the plunger down? I had to hold a screw driver over the plunger to hold it down so the case would lock in. Do you have a problem getting it to lock? Can you do it the way it describes or do you need help? I am not seeing something!
Are you saying that little plunger should not be stuck up until the case is locked in place? Mine is always out, should it be in? Is that what I am missing?
Nancy

Okay, I think I understand your situation. If you have that pin knob, the plunger, adjusted correctly, you don't need to hold the plunger while inserting the 'can" into position. It will snap in. My second Two Spools, Melinda, had the same problem as yours. I had to use a screw driver to get the "spool can" in at first, and then I made the adjustments to the pin, as suggested in manual, to correct that problem. The spring plunger needs to be up. That is what holds the spool can in place. They are referring to moving the can slightly left or right so that the can is in the correct position. If you notice that the bottom of your spool can either has a lip or edge, that lip gets seated inside the bar inside the hook race area, see figure 4.

I will try to take some pictures.

vintagemotif 06-12-2011 08:32 PM

7 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Sorry Nancy that I didn't check on you earlier today.

I went to pick up my 2nd Davis Vertical Feed NVF with motor. I then spent the afternoon taking motor off, cleaning, and treadling with it. This Davis NVF had been sitting on the SF CLs work weeks, around a month. I waited and waited for someone to pick it up, but nah that never happened. So, I called the guy yesterday. The machine was a donation, and the money from selling this machine goes to an after-school program that benefits the handicap. When he told me that, I was like, I'll definitely purchase the machine. He was elated! Started telling me all about the machine and how it works. heehee. I let him talk yesterday, but today when he wanted to show me how it worked I told him I already own one that I treadled. I told him I made quilts with vintage sewing machines. He asked if I would like to teach a class!

Okay, back to your situation, which really is very simple once you figure out how the pin works. Which is way cool! And very clever of whoever designed the spool can!

And yes, I wish the spool can had become more popular than the bobbins. Who knows, maybe someone from X sewing machine company will bring that technology back-along with the cute spools.

I don't have original manual, but a copy. On the page that shows the spool can with the numbers and letter K, figure 10, that is what you first need to look at. The part of letter K, the top part of the pin, is were you need to look. The little knob at top needs to be pushed down (which is what you were doing when getting the can into proper place for sewing). If you take a small flat head screw driver and push that little knob down, you will see a groove for you small screw driver to fit into. That is where you will turn the mechanism for adjusting the pin. With my "Cowboy" that little knob at first didn't want to move down, took some muscles to get it loose.

On my next page (which should be yours too) is a section called "The Spool Case Lock". Please read that section, which explains the direction to turn the pin for it to sit correctly.

The turning screw of the pin adjusts the height of the pin for the can to sit in machine.

I hope that helps you! If not let me know.

Geeze Monica, you are sure getting some nice machines! I love my Davis Vertical Feed, but I don't have the New Davis Vertical Feed. Isn't the NVF the one that takes regular 15 x 1 needles? I believe it is. Mine has to take the Davis longs, but I have an ample supply of them now! I am glad you got the machine! Are you going to keep both of them?

Ok, I do have the original book. I have read and re-read the page you are referring to. Page 8 "The Spool Case Lock" does explain about the little plunger and the screw driver, but my problem is this. "Inserting the Spool Case" Figure 11 says ". . . . . place the spool case on the spindle , then push it down as far as it will go and press it inward with the finger until it locks into place. If it fails to lock, the case is not in the correct position to fit properly. By turning it slightly to the right or left, it can be pushed down so it will lock in proper position."

Well, I did all that and I can't figure out how to hold that little plunger down and insert the case while keeping the plunger down? I had to hold a screw driver over the plunger to hold it down so the case would lock in. Do you have a problem getting it to lock? Can you do it the way it describes or do you need help? I am not seeing something!
Are you saying that little plunger should not be stuck up until the case is locked in place? Mine is always out, should it be in? Is that what I am missing?
Nancy

Okay, I think I understand your situation. If you have that pin knob, the plunger, adjusted correctly, you don't need to hold the plunger while inserting the 'can" into position. It will snap in. My second Two Spools, Melinda, had the same problem as yours. I had to use a screw driver to get the "spool can" in at first, and then I made the adjustments to the pin, as suggested in manual, to correct that problem. The spring plunger needs to be up. That is what holds the spool can in place. They are referring to moving the can slightly left or right so that the can is in the correct position. If you notice that the bottom of your spool can either has a lip or edge, that lip gets seated inside the bar inside the hook race area, see figure 4.

I will try to take some pictures.

the pin and ledge, below q-tip.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210731[/ATTACH]

can with lip going in behind ledge.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210732[/ATTACH]

can bottom in place correctly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210733[/ATTACH]

top of can before completely in place. note pin knob position.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210734[/ATTACH]

Spring plunger or pin knob fully pushed into place.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210735[/ATTACH]

bottom of cans. note difference in the bottoms. both have some form of a lip.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210737[/ATTACH]

another shot of bottom to see the lip of edge
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210739[/ATTACH]

Charlee 06-12-2011 08:34 PM

Launie, that's a feeddog cover for using a buttonholer or embroidery attachment. :)

vintagemotif 06-12-2011 08:44 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=BoJangles]

I love my Davis Vertical Feed, but I don't have the New Davis Vertical Feed. Isn't the NVF the one that takes regular 15 x 1 needles? I believe it is. Mine has to take the Davis longs, but I have an ample supply of them now! I am glad you got the machine! Are you going to keep both of them?

Yes, the Davis NVF uses the regular 15x1. Yup! I'm going to keep both machines. I like to have at least two of each machine, just in case I need parts. A lot cheaper than bidding on ebay for parts.

Miz Johnny 06-12-2011 09:02 PM

I would go with the 15-90 (external motor). As everyone has already said, you can easly convert it if you want to, but most of all, if something goes wrong with the motor you can easily replace it. With the 15-91 (potted motor) it's not as easy, plus the motor is obsolete, and you would have to find a donor to replace.

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted, but I have been reading and watching the great machine parade. Now I have a question. . . If looking at 2 Singer 15 machines:

Condition very good, nothing missing, both worked and were the same price. . . one is a potted motor and one is a belt driven motor, which would be the better choice and why?

Thanx in advance. Brenda

Launie 06-12-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Launie, that's a feeddog cover for using a buttonholer or embroidery attachment. :)

Well thank you Miss Charlee! I suppose now I better find a buttonholer attachment!! ;)

Charlee 06-12-2011 09:34 PM

You're welcome Launie! (You don't need it if the dogs drop ;) I didn't notice what your machine is for sure...15-91? They drop)