Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Phyllis nm 06-12-2011 09:38 PM

Do you just need old wooden spools to wind thread on? I have a few, and I feel sure you could rig up a winder to rewind them.

vintagemotif 06-12-2011 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Launie
Ummm. well I will figure out this pic thing after dinner....

Launie,
The 15-91 is a great machine to own! Fantastic with free-motion quilt with, a great all around machine, from piecing to quilting. Have fun with this beauty.

cabbagepatchkid 06-13-2011 04:05 AM

I've fallen behind on my reading of this thread so I don't know if anyone has shared this yet. I came across a blog about restoring a Singer 201. This person will be stripping the machine down and doing a complete restoration. I thought there may be some people on this board that would be interested in seeing how she is doing it. Here is the link:

http://mysewingmachineaddiction.blogspot.com/

I don't have a 201 to restore but I have a 66 that could use a makeover.

cabbagepatchkid 06-13-2011 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Launie,
The 15-91 is a great machine to own! Fantastic with free-motion quilt with, a great all around machine, from piecing to quilting. Have fun with this beauty.

I have had a 15-91 on my wish list for awhile. Last night, while looking through my hoard...oooops, I meant collection....of machines I found a 15-91 hiding in among them :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: I have no idea when I got that machine. Maybe it followed one of my other machines home! It's missing a few parts and it's really in need of cleaning but I see that it's a good idea to look through what you have to see if you have machines that snuck into the house when you weren't looking.

Honchey 06-13-2011 04:37 AM

Question??? Are handcrank parts all the same size for use on any qualified model? ie: 66, 15, etc. Anne

BoJangles 06-13-2011 05:12 AM

Okay, I think I understand your situation. If you have that pin knob, the plunger, adjusted correctly, you don't need to hold the plunger while inserting the 'can" into position. It will snap in. My second Two Spools, Melinda, had the same problem as yours. I had to use a screw driver to get the "spool can" in at first, and then I made the adjustments to the pin, as suggested in manual, to correct that problem. The spring plunger needs to be up. That is what holds the spool can in place. They are referring to moving the can slightly left or right so that the can is in the correct position. If you notice that the bottom of your spool can either has a lip or edge, that lip gets seated inside the bar inside the hook race area, see figure 4.

I will try to take some pictures.

Ok, I see the problem, that little plunger on my spool can is not moving. I will use the screw driver like the book says and re-adjust. Thanks for the pictures Monica, that helps.

If any of you ever get or have a Two Spool, you should make a note of these pages. Those Two Spools are a little different! Very interesting and ingenious that a machine was invented to use a spool of thread, any size 50 spool or smaller, not a special spool that came with the machine! When you think about the fact that all the bobbin driven and shuttle driven type machines have to have a specific bobbin and a specific shuttle or they won't work - and this machine will take any old wooden spool that they had sitting around!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-13-2011 05:16 AM

Yes, the Davis NVF uses the regular 15x1. Yup! I'm going to keep both machines. I like to have at least two of each machine, just in case I need parts. A lot cheaper than bidding on ebay for parts.

Monica you are so funny, I can't see you taking either of your Davis's or Two Spools apart for parts!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-13-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
Do you just need old wooden spools to wind thread on? I have a few, and I feel sure you could rig up a winder to rewind them.

Phyllis if you are talking about the Two Spools, yes any old wooden spool that will fit in the spool can works!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-13-2011 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Question??? Are handcrank parts all the same size for use on any qualified model? ie: 66, 15, etc. Anne

Well Anne, Miz Johnny can answer this question in detail, but yes and no! The new reproduction HC's work on the 66, 15, 99, 99k, 28, 128 if the machines have the spoked hand wheel, but if you want to put a HC on something other than a Singer you will have to find the original HC for that model. Most of the repro's won't work on say a New Home, etc.

Nancy

BoJangles 06-13-2011 05:33 AM

Here is a nice 15 clone, if any of you are in the Modesto area - for a reasonable price too.

Nancy

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2437154405.html