Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 04-29-2010 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by mickey
Billy or Charlee Help please this is an antique sewing machine i am looking to purchase. It is not a singer but is said to be manufactured in late 1800's. Can you tell me anything about this machine from this picture? The spool holder on top is different from others i have seen

It's hard to tell from those photos when the machine was likely made, but Wheeler and Wilson sold out to Singer sometime around 1905, so this machine was made before that. Wheeler & Wilson had both a Model 9 and a Model D-9.
The spool holder is unique, it's folded down now, to allow the spool of thread to be loaded, once the thread is on, it lifts back up and is upright, looking like an upside down "U" with a spool on one post of it.

If you're looking for a vintage machine to use and keep using a lot, this is most likely not the machine you want to buy. The needles are obsolete, and when you can find them, they're terribly expensive. The credit card that I use for ebay tells the story...I bought 18 needles for my Singer 9W (basically the same machine) for $65....and consider myself lucky not only to have found them, but to have purchased them for that price. They often sell for $10 a needle. You CAN find them, sometimes OSMGs (Old Sewing Machine Guy) will have them laying around in a dusty back room... use this fact as a bargining chip when you negotiate price!

That's the only negative to buying this machine. I love the Singer I have, it sews like a dream. I love the cabinet on yours...they're called "coffin tops", and they're not so common to see in a complete state like this one you show....the coffin is often missing, or really beat up.

What are they asking for the machine? If the price is right, and only you can determine that, (it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it) then I'd say go for it! :)

Charlee 04-29-2010 05:56 AM

how hard is it to get parts for a Singer 401a? My Mom's has a bent needle bar we think--it keep breaking needles, also makes a sight tapping sound when it sews.

You should be able to get one Mickey...Singer has parts lists of parts that are available...and I know that I can get parts for my 201-2, so the 401A should be there too! :)

mickey 04-29-2010 06:16 AM

the machine is only 75.00 but if it will not be good for machine quilting i do not think i want it purchase this machine. i also love the casing but that is not why i want the machine.

do you just key in singer sewing machine parts to find their site?

Charlee 04-29-2010 06:23 AM

the machine is only 75.00 but if it will not be good for machine quilting i do not think i want it purchase this machine. i also love the casing but that is not why i want the machine.

do you just key in singer sewing machine parts to find their site?

Here you go Mickey...this is the parts list and schematic for a Singer 401A...
http://www.parts.singerco.com/CPpart...4999/401A1.pdf

Any OSMG should be able to get you the parts, or send an email to Guy from the link I posted earlier...

Hope this helps! :)

Lostn51 04-29-2010 06:29 AM

how hard is it to get parts for a Singer 401a? My Mom's has a bent needle bar we think--it keep breaking needles, also makes a sight tapping sound when it sews.

Are you sure you are using the right needle and the needle is set all the way into the needle bar? They can be bent but it would take one hell of a blow to do that. Depending on the amount of usage the case of the machine itself could be worn and letting the needle bar move on an eccentric instead of up and down. I think there is a bushing right there but it there isnt you can drill the head and bush it to the correct size. But you will need a machine shop to do that.

This is what happens when you don't oil and service the machine regularly.

Billy

mickey 04-29-2010 06:38 AM

thank you, thank you, thank you Charlee
Billi, mom was hemming denim pants and went over the felled seam and popped the needle and bent the bar we think--i hope it just popped it out of position. but there is not a good shop here to fix this. so hoping that i can follow your tutorial when you make it and maybe find out what is wrong.

SewExtremeSeams 04-29-2010 08:07 AM

Hi Billy, Just dropped in the shop for a sec to say I do have pictures of the front of this machine but am having a lot of trouble downsizing them and getting to show up here. But, never fear, I won't give up.

John, the owner of the machine, wants $125 for it. The top of the desk isn't in too good of shape but it has a unique iron looking type bar that holds it up.

Better run so I can get those pictures posted.

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Linda, I love it!!

I wished you could have taken one from the front so that everyone can see the embossed areas that are on the machine. Did you know that the White Sewing Machine Company was the first manufacturer to use the "Wrinkle" finish and held a patent on it.

The anniversary of this model was bronzed and a lot of folks that have them today have ruined them by over polishing them to make them shine instead of keeping the patina.

The wrinkle finish didn't show up on the Singers until they were being refurbished by certain authorized manufacturers and then they started using it themselves in the latter 50's.

Billy

SewExtremeSeams 04-29-2010 08:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Vintage White Rotary Electric Machine-serial number 31x19510. This is a retry to load pictures.

SewExtremeSeams 04-29-2010 08:23 AM

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I did it. :thumbup: :oops: :thumbup:

SewExtremeSeams 04-29-2010 08:29 AM

On that White Rotary it says in the back 'Patented Nov. 8, 192(7) not sure if it is a 7 or not.