Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

luv2learn 02-12-2011 02:00 PM

I just added photos and a question to the main, but it doesn't show up here, how do I get it to the VSMS section?
Thanx, Brenda

Lostn51 02-12-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I just noticed that yours has the spoked handwheel, which probably means it was not electric, originally. Spoked handwheels came on machines that were either treadled or hand cranked. Many were converted to electric machines later. Your machine will have the bullet shaped shuttle below those two slide plates on the base. It winds a long bobbin, rather than the little round ones that modern machines use.

Hey all.... I just saw another Singer 27, Tiffany decals, with a BELT driven electric motor on it. Was a Singer motor too. Belt ran from motor housing to the belt race on the large spoke'd chrome wheel. (This machine was a later 27, had the trapazoid plate on the front of the head, was a VS machine, bolted on motor. Foot pedal was mounted on right, inside of cabinet with a knee lever control actuating the pedal. I think with that set up, it was original. Therefore, I believe (but I'm not the expert!) that in between Singers 'treadle' models... and the full electric potted motors using gears instead of belts.... there was a sort of 'half n half' machine. Still used belts, but the belt ran from the external motor to the spoked hand wheel belt race. I don't have an approx. age on that one I described above, except to say that the S/N was a single letter prefix... so...

Not all electric Singers had the solid wheel. Singer introduced the electric motor in the early 1900's and the solid handwheels were introduced in the 30's I believe.

Billy

Lostn51 02-12-2011 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
I just added photos and a question to the main, but it doesn't show up here, how do I get it to the VSMS section?
Thanx, Brenda

I will add it to the VSMS section for you.

Billy

tjradj 02-12-2011 02:04 PM

I already looked it up there, but since the prefix starts with JB, all it would tell me is that it was made in 1936. I can't find what the model number is anywhere. Can anyone help me find that out?[/quote]

Beaniekins,
To help identify the model of your Singer by sight, you could try this site:

http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...achines.htm#17

luv2learn 02-12-2011 02:05 PM

kwendt,

You sound like you are in HIGH Gear girl . .I share your excitement, but I'm slower at getting all the details straight and the lingo goin' on!! Wish I had someone close by like you to learn and hunt with!

Brenda

vintagemotif 02-12-2011 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Well, my vintage ladies were patient with me the other day while I used my daughter's Janome TB-30 to make this Valentine's Day quilted postcard.

I would love to own a vintage machine in treadle that has the function of zig-zag and some decorative stitches. My hunt is on!

You need a Singer 500A or get a Singer zigzager for one of your low shanks.

That is a beautiful card!!!

Billy

Thanks! It was a fun quick project. I just missed the use of my treadles on this project. I love the sound and feel of using the treadles. Well, I have been looking for a Singer zig-zag like Sharon's. My machine with some decorative stitches is out there...just waiting for me.
:)

sewbizgirl 02-12-2011 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Well, my vintage ladies were patient with me the other day while I used my daughter's Janome TB-30 to make this Valentine's Day quilted postcard.

I would love to own a vintage machine in treadle that has the function of zig-zag and some decorative stitches. My hunt is on!

Lovely postcard!

sewbizgirl 02-12-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by kwendt
Hey all.... I just saw another Singer 27, Tiffany decals, with a BELT driven electric motor on it. Was a Singer motor too. Belt ran from motor housing to the belt race on the large spoke'd chrome wheel. (This machine was a later 27, had the trapazoid plate on the front of the head, was a VS machine, bolted on motor. Foot pedal was mounted on right, inside of cabinet with a knee lever control actuating the pedal. I think with that set up, it was original. Therefore, I believe (but I'm not the expert!) that in between Singers 'treadle' models... and the full electric potted motors using gears instead of belts.... there was a sort of 'half n half' machine. Still used belts, but the belt ran from the external motor to the spoked hand wheel belt race. I don't have an approx. age on that one I described above, except to say that the S/N was a single letter prefix... so...

Not all electric Singers had the solid wheel. Singer introduced the electric motor in the early 1900's and the solid handwheels were introduced in the 30's I believe.

Billy

Interesting! Just when you think you've got it figured out... :?

Also, thanks Billy for the explanation of eMachine. I'm still trying to get the hang of using my treadle. Fast is okay, but slow is problematic.

kwendt 02-12-2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
kwendt,

You sound like you are in HIGH Gear girl . .I share your excitement, but I'm slower at getting all the details straight and the lingo goin' on!! Wish I had someone close by like you to learn and hunt with!

Brenda

Well... I'm in some sort of gear, for shure!!!! Heck, anytime you're in south Flor-ee-dah, give me a shout. Seriously, though.. it seems as if the best place to hunt machines is the 13 colonies..... area and big cities. Just goin by what folks have posted on Craigslist and ebay. Interesting for sure.

beaniekins 02-12-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Beaniekins,
To help identify the model of your Singer by sight, you could try this site:

http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...achines.htm#17

Thank you! I figured out that it's a 128. Now I can find the right manual for it!