Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Weedwoman 02-19-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Billy, after DH removed all the decals from Elvira he gave her a coat of wax not knowing I wanted to put some decals on her. What do I do to remove the wax where I want to put decals on? And after the decals are on, how do I protect them? thanks, O B Won Kanobe of the sewing machine world.

A japan finish is different that regular paint so I am going to guess at this one. I would use GoJo (non pumice) and clean the machines finish and hopefully it will take the wax off. Normally on regular paint I use a wax remover to clean the finish before I stripe a car but this is different.

Billy

Thanks, what do I put on over the decal for protection?

vintagemotif 02-19-2011 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
DH and I have been playing musical chairs with my sewing machines. Trying to place them so they are actually usable and not just eye candy.
And I still want more machines.......lol

This is my setup. I turn the backroom that opens up from the kitchen into my sewing room. My husband calls it my command center; it is a tight U shape space. The ironing board gets moved around depending on the machine in use for quilting. I have a bookcase that holds my other machines. In the room is my computer (other side of ironing board), a tv, and chaise. After finishing this arrangement, my husband stated that the room has very comfy feel and that all my machines look very happy.

Have fun!

vintagemotif 02-19-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
Well, after talking to Glenn I got up enough nerve to remove the very damaged veneer from my machine and refinish what was underneath. Not a good job and my wood filler didn't take stain like the label said it would so I did some painting of my own.

What a clever idea and very cute!

luv2learn 02-19-2011 12:59 PM

Happy Treadler,

Thank you for sharing your repaint tute. Sally is so pretty. I'll now be on the hunt for a willing candidate to try it out on! One question tho, did Sally have the Japaning finish or regular paint before? Is the process the same for either? Thanx!

denise d 02-19-2011 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Definitely have the bug!!

Just got my second treadle in 5 days.... I do have a question regarding my latest.

Her serial number is 11622384. From looking at the singer site looks like she is from around 1893, but what model is she... etc.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

Also, here is a picture of her

luv2learn 02-19-2011 01:14 PM

Vintagemotif,

I like the way you have it setup, you can acces all three machines from one spot. I always look at everyone's spaces and think mine it too small to get as many machines in, but it's all in the arrangement, huh? My main sewing room is 10 x 12 but seems crowded, mostly because of the type of desks I use to sew on. It seems the treadle bases and actual sewing cabinets take up less real estate. I may need to do some re-arranging again!!
Thanx for sharing.

Kathie S. 02-19-2011 01:16 PM

I took my hc 28 into have it serviced. It is missing the wire thread guide on the tension. The tech. said that it is okay because it is not needed. Any feed back on that? Kathie

chris_quilts 02-19-2011 01:49 PM

Denise d; Pretty machine. Wish I could help you but wanted to comment on your new machine.

cabbagepatchkid 02-19-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Cathy,

I'm not Katfish, but I would be interested in knowing what you did to make yours work, I may be faced with the same problem in the future. Thanx for sharing.

It's easy but it's a little long so I'm sending you a PM. :-D

denise d 02-19-2011 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Denise d; Pretty machine. Wish I could help you but wanted to comment on your new machine.

Thanks.... I am thinking it is a model 27, but I am not sure. She needs a new belt, but when that is done.. She is fully operational