Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

sewbizgirl 02-19-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
DH and I have been playing musical chairs with my sewing machines. Trying to place them so they are actually usable and not just eye candy.
And I still want more machines.......lol

This is my setup. I turn the backroom that opens up from the kitchen into my sewing room. My husband calls it my command center; it is a tight U shape space. The ironing board gets moved around depending on the machine in use for quilting. I have a bookcase that holds my other machines. In the room is my computer (other side of ironing board), a tv, and chaise. After finishing this arrangement, my husband stated that the room has very comfy feel and that all my machines look very happy.

Have fun!

All treadles, too! Woo hoo!

sewbizgirl 02-19-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Vintagemotif,

I like the way you have it setup, you can acces all three machines from one spot. I always look at everyone's spaces and think mine it too small to get as many machines in, but it's all in the arrangement, huh? My main sewing room is 10 x 12 but seems crowded, mostly because of the type of desks I use to sew on. It seems the treadle bases and actual sewing cabinets take up less real estate. I may need to do some re-arranging again!!
Thanx for sharing.

What's so cool about treadles is that you can put them anywhere! No need to have them against walls to access outlets. :mrgreen:

sewbizgirl 02-19-2011 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
My house has a large hallway (both wide and long) and I have a row of treadles that go down it. Thats another reason for me to do the addition to my studio so I can clear the hall of the house and put them in my display/memorabilia room in the studio. My house is not over run by them but its stating to get where I can not find a spot for one to blend in now.

Billy

Uh oh... I just moved a recently acquired treadle into the hallway. Hallway machine # 1. :|

HisPatchwork 02-19-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Welcome Happy Treadler! Congratulations on your new home. I and I am sure others here, would love to see pictures of your new sewing room and your favorite machines. You are in good company here.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm always happy to show off my new sewing room. I downloaded some pics on webshots, and they can be found here: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...78470011jjMxMP

These pictures are when we first moved in, but you are able to see the fixtures and get the 'feel' of the room anyway. I've put a few extra treadles in there since then, and will need to update my pictures very soon. Right now it looks like a fabric monster threw up all over the place in there. :shock: ha ha

I really enjoyed watching the slide show of your room. I'm starting to think about where I might be able to put another treadle...or 2...

luv2learn 02-19-2011 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Vintagemotif,

I like the way you have it setup, you can acces all three machines from one spot. I always look at everyone's spaces and think mine it too small to get as many machines in, but it's all in the arrangement, huh? My main sewing room is 10 x 12 but seems crowded, mostly because of the type of desks I use to sew on. It seems the treadle bases and actual sewing cabinets take up less real estate. I may need to do some re-arranging again!!
Thanx for sharing.

What's so cool about treadles is that you can put them anywhere! No need to have them against walls to access outlets. :mrgreen:

Holy cow, you're right. . .. . no wonder you can line them up in the hallway and in the bathroom. . . .Oh my gosh. . . . I have a nook in my hallway that would be perfect for one. . . and oh, one of the bathrooms has room too! ! ! ! ! duh. . . I am slow but when I get it, look out ! ! just when I thought I'd better slow down! ! ! oh no-o-o-o-o- AGAIN!!

KatFish 02-19-2011 06:10 PM

Okay, I thought we had the tension problem fixed on my Singer 201-2, but it acting up again. I sewed with it all afternoon with no problems, changed the bobbin twice. After the second bobbin change, I again had the top tread sitting on the top of the fabric. After re-treading both upper and bobbin 3 times, we fiddled again with the bobbin tension screw. Got it okay again, sewed two blocks, and now it sews three perfect stitches, then sews four stitches laying on top. How do I fix this.

I have checked the bobbins, and I am using the older ones, and I checked for warpness. What am I missing.

Glenn 02-19-2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
Well, after talking to Glenn I got up enough nerve to remove the very damaged veneer from my machine and refinish what was underneath. Not a good job and my wood filler didn't take stain like the label said it would so I did some painting of my own.

Not to bad you did okay and I like your paint work. Now you have a cabinet that is functional. Glenn

Happy Treadler 02-19-2011 06:45 PM

Happy Treadler,

Thank you for sharing your repaint tute. Sally is so pretty. I'll now be on the hunt for a willing candidate to try it out on! One question tho, did Sally have the Japaning finish or regular paint before? Is the process the same for either? Thanx!

Hi luv2learn,
I believe it was regular paint. It was really chipped off with most of the decals gone, and since I had another 'pretty' hand crank exactly like it (DD's), I figured I'd get more use out of Sally if I gave it a shot. Not sure if the japaning would be any different. I treated it exactly like an automotive re-paint, and just used a paint stripper. I'm SEW happy I did because she's now my 'go to' hand crank. She's older, and well used, which means a smoother machine. I like to take her camping with me and sit at the picnic table. She went from a neglected machine to one I absolutely LOVE. I also hear there's an irredescent automotive paint out there that actually changes colors. How cool would that be?

JaneK 02-19-2011 07:03 PM

Hi all,

I've been doing my usual CL trolling and found a couple of things I want you all to look at. I am curious about the info on the small singer, it's really unusual
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/clt/2216126398.html

Also these older machines and cabinets are different than any I've seen before
.http://greenbay.craigslist.org/atq/2205610318.html
What is this one?
http://madison.craigslist.org/atq/2168105286.html

would love to hear your comments!
Jane

sewbizgirl 02-19-2011 07:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Look what came to live at my house today!

Singer 403 with book, cams, bobbins and attachments!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157698[/ATTACH]

And I've had this one for a few weeks-- almost got it ready to sew! Singer 201-2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157738[/ATTACH]