Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Donna Mare 02-12-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Lacelady

I wish some would 'find' me at the kind of prices you guys are getting them. I paid over $300 for my featherweight (222), thought they go for a lot more than that sometimes.

Geeze, if you got a 222 for just over $300 -- YOU GOT a DEAL!

Nancy

What is an average for a good 222

BoJangles 02-12-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Here is something for you viewing pleasure.....

Billy

Billy those posters are so awesome to see. I love the old ads, so much fun to read.

Nancy

luv2learn 02-12-2011 04:57 PM

Billy, It seems you like a lot of machines that are not Singer. . . I seem to find a lot that are not singer and just wondered, are parts for other machines available? For instance, I just saw a photo of a Standard treadle, the guy says, "oh yea it IS 140 years old but other than needing a belt, I'm sure it's fine." Are singer parts, interchangeale with other brands? For instance if a machine doesn't have a bobbin case or bobbin? or throat plate or throat plate extension, etc.

I DO want to help rescue old sewing machines, but
since my space and dollars are limited, I would prefer to have machines that can be put back into service rather than just sit and not be any better off than where they are rescued from. Ya know what I mean? So other than asking about every machine I come across on the board, is there a way I can check this out myself. . . I did google the Standard, but found very limited general info and nothing about parts. Sorry so longwinded.. . . .

BoJangles 02-12-2011 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Well, my vintage ladies were patient with me the other day while I used my daughter's Janome TB-30 to make this Valentine's Day quilted postcard.

I would love to own a vintage machine in treadle that has the function of zig-zag and some decorative stitches. My hunt is on!

Monica, love the postcard!~

Nancy

BoJangles 02-12-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare

Around here on on E-bay -- usually, somewhere between $1,000 to $2,000!

Nancy

tjradj 02-12-2011 05:10 PM

Nancy

Here in the North country, they go for $350-$450 depending on condition. Thr rarer freearm is about $1000.

Lostn51 02-12-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Billy, It seems you like a lot of machines that are not Singer. . . I seem to find a lot that are not singer and just wondered, are parts for other machines available? For instance, I just saw a photo of a Standard treadle, the guy says, "oh yea it IS 140 years old but other than needing a belt, I'm sure it's fine." Are singer parts, interchangeale with other brands? For instance if a machine doesn't have a bobbin case or bobbin? or throat plate or throat plate extension, etc.

Nothing will interchange from Singer to any other machine that I know of. Even the screws for the Singers were proprietary. Your only hope is to find several machines like each other so you can use them for parts or find one that is functionable.

Billy

BoJangles 02-12-2011 06:04 PM

[quote=tjradj]

Nancy

Here in the North country, they go for $350-$450 depending on condition. Thr rarer freearm is about $1000.

The 222 is the free arm, that is the one we are talking about.
The 221 is the regular FW.

Nancy

BoJangles 02-12-2011 06:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Monica, this is the machine you need to get to do your decorative stitches! It is the Rocketeer 501a. This is a 1961 machine that I got at a barn sale for $10. The decorative stitching is a ribbon stitch done on the Rocketeer. My initials on top, I did with the monogrammer for the Rocketeer - attached. So much fun. I put the ric rac on with my Free treadle and did the decorative stuff with the Rocketeer! This is an all vintage Valentines wall hanging quilt!

Nancy

Donna Mare 02-12-2011 06:17 PM

Thanks for the info on the 222. Wowser!! Putting that away in my dream on folder :) I like the 221 enough to adopt one :)