Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

luv2learn 02-12-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Billy, It seems you like a lot of machines that are not Singer. . . I seem to find a lot that are not singer and just wondered, are parts for other machines available? For instance, I just saw a photo of a Standard treadle, the guy says, "oh yea it IS 140 years old but other than needing a belt, I'm sure it's fine." Are singer parts, interchangeale with other brands? For instance if a machine doesn't have a bobbin case or bobbin? or throat plate or throat plate extension, etc.

Nothing will interchange from Singer to any other machine that I know of. Even the screws for the Singers were proprietary. Your only hope is to find several machines like each other so you can use them for parts or find one that is functionable.

Billy

What about singer to singer. . Where could I find info to tell me which Singer parts are interchangeable with which machines?

Also, have you done the tutorial using the 500A yet, and what is it called, so I can view it? Thanx

luv2learn 02-12-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Monica, this is the machine you need to get to do your decorative stitches! It is the Rocketeer 501a. This is a 1961 machine that I got at a barn sale for $10. The decorative stitching is a ribbon stitch done on the Rocketeer. My initials on top, I did with the monogrammer for the Rocketeer - attached. So much fun. I put the ric rac on with my Free treadle and did the decorative stuff with the Rocketeer! This is an all vintage Valentines wall hanging quilt!

Nancy

Nancy that little wall hanging is darling. . . I sure wish I had know about these vintage and antique machines before I spent THOUSANDS of dollars on fancy new machines. It is amazing how many of us have purchased the newest and fanciest machines and never learn to use all of the features on them. I feel sick to think I could have accomplished most if not all designs with the older machines, with the proper knowledge to use them combined with a little of my own creativity. . . . I'm thinking maybe to start TRYing to sell some of my newer machines to make room for more vintage and antique machines. Thanx for sharing all of your knowledge

phyllis b 02-12-2011 06:43 PM

Billy,

I have acquired several singers the 501, 401, 301 and have had them cleaned thoroughly and completely gone thru. I know this is a difficult question and hard to answer, but they seem to run a little noisy. Other owners on this board have said that they run quiet. The machines run great after serviced.

I don't know what to do. Change repair person????

vintagemotif 02-12-2011 07:50 PM

Monica, this is the machine you need to get to do your decorative stitches! It is the Rocketeer 501a. This is a 1961 machine that I got at a barn sale for $10. The decorative stitching is a ribbon stitch done on the Rocketeer. My initials on top, I did with the monogrammer for the Rocketeer - attached. So much fun. I put the ric rac on with my Free treadle and did the decorative stuff with the Rocketeer! This is an all vintage Valentines wall hanging quilt!

Nancy

Nancy, That is so pretty and cute! I was hoping for a machine to put in my treadle, but now I will keep my eyes open to the Rocketeer. I like that you put the ric rac on with your Free machine-way cool. What does that gadget that you have attached to the foot do? Heehee... every time I see these Rocketeer 501a, I think of the Jetsons- such a contrast from my elderly ladies. Thanks for sharing!

irishrose 02-12-2011 08:11 PM

phyllis b, My 301A arrived noisy, but she has become quieter with each day's use. I also oiled her a lot the first few days. I have no idea how long she had been out of service, but after completing her first quilt with me, she is relatively quiet.

sewbizgirl 02-12-2011 08:22 PM

Nancy

The wall hanging is awesome, and I love your Rocketeer! It's so clean it looks MINT. Quite the looker...

BoJangles 02-12-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, That is so pretty and cute! I was hoping for a machine to put in my treadle, but now I will keep my eyes open to the Rocketeer. I like that you put the ric rac on with your Free machine-way cool. What does that gadget that you have attached to the foot do? Heehee... every time I see these Rocketeer 501a, I think of the Jetsons- such a contrast from my elderly ladies. Thanks for sharing!

The attachment is the monogram thingy. I put my initials on the top of that little wall hanging using the monogrammer. Very easy to use and fun! My Rocketeer is one of my favorite, if I have to use electric, machines! All the decorative stitches are great, but remember it uses cams!

Nancy

purplefiend 02-12-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Has anyone ever seen or own or know anything about this one?

It seems 'all wrong'.http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PORTABLE...item483ee8623e

From what I remember there were quite a few old machines that were referbished like this with the crinkle
finish after WWII, as there were no new ones being made. I read it somewhere and can't recall where though.

BoJangles 02-12-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
The wall hanging is awesome, and I love your Rocketeer! It's so clean it looks MINT. Quite the looker...

Thank you, I love her too! She makes really nice decorative stitches with the different cams and her straight stitch is really nice too. One of my favorites for sure!

Nancy

BoJangles 02-12-2011 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Nancy that little wall hanging is darling. . . I sure wish I had know about these vintage and antique machines before I spent THOUSANDS of dollars on fancy new machines. It is amazing how many of us have purchased the newest and fanciest machines and never learn to use all of the features on them. I feel sick to think I could have accomplished most if not all designs with the older machines, with the proper knowledge to use them combined with a little of my own creativity. . . . I'm thinking maybe to start TRYing to sell some of my newer machines to make room for more vintage and antique machines. Thanx for sharing all of your knowledge

Well I second everything you said. I paid $7,000 for a very fancy machine that now sells for $12,000. It is only a few years old and does not work! I made the mistake of putting in a generic bobbin, (I didn't know it was generic) causing some damage that makes the machine skip stitches (it won't sew at all even straight stitching now). I haven't got the machine fixed yet. The new machines are just too touchy! The old machines took all kinds of abuse and still kept right on trucking!

The FW maintenance class I took a few days ago was a perfect example of how well those old machines work. One of the gals in the class pulled out a ton of lint, and threads that were wrapped around her bobbin hook/race up to 6 inches long! That machine still sewed, although, I am sure it was much happier after being cleaned up! Try doing that on a modern machine and see if it will work!

Nancy