Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 10-01-2011 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by jljack

Originally Posted by irishrose
I paid $35 for my godzilla finished 128 with a bentwood case.

Karen, my 1928 Leader is a very small treadle as is my 1904 Ruby.

And my 128 looks just like yours.

Question...are 128's basically the same as 99's inside and just the finish is different?

No....not really. The 128 is a Vibrating Shuttle, the 99 has a round bobbin...

Charlee 10-01-2011 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Charlee
Here she is!! More pics will be on my blog (second link, not the Dear Jane link) in about an hour!! :)

Wow and WOW, Charlee! Geeze, that Davis makes me drool! You guys have done a fantastic job!

Nancy

Thanks! :) Now if I can just make it sew!! :lol: The manual says to set the needle in a "triffle" above the "holder-thingie-ma-bob" (like my techie talk? :lol: ) What the heck is a "triffle" other than a cake layered with fruit, whipped cream and pudding? ;)

Actually, I need to finish cleaning the machine, before I play too much with stitching, but I couldn't help myself, and last nite managed to get a few tiny stitches out of her before the thread broke!

chris_quilts 10-01-2011 08:10 AM

Here she is!! More pics will be on my blog (second link, not the Dear Jane link) in about an hour!! :)

Wow and WOW, Charlee! Geeze, that Davis makes me drool! You guys have done a fantastic job! Nancy

Thanks! :) Now if I can just make it sew!! :lol: The manual says to set the needle in a "triffle" above the "holder-thingie-ma-bob" (like my techie talk? :lol: ) What the heck is a "triffle" other than a cake layered with fruit, whipped cream and pudding? ;)
Actually, I need to finish cleaning the machine, before I play too much with stitching, but I couldn't help myself, and last nite managed to get a few tiny stitches out of her before the thread broke!

Charlee, A trifle bit is just a wee bit less less than a tad bit. Does this help?? :mrgreen:

Candace 10-01-2011 08:30 AM

Question...are 128's basically the same as 99's inside and just the finish is different?

But, they have the same size motor and power?

Janis 10-01-2011 08:40 AM

Thanks for the information on the no. 66 bobbins for the older machines. My hubby thought that one might just file down the new ones and make them work, but I don't want to mess up my wonderful 99 with trying them. It's not worth it. I'll gladly pay the dollar each for the bobbins from now on. How many do I need, anyway? I have 5 of the new ones and one old one that came in the machine. Should I go and buy more, 'just in case'?
Another dumb question. My 99 has a knob that makes the stitch length longer and shorter. Now which way do I need to turn it to make it longer? Anyone know? And how far to make much of a difference in the stitch length? There are no numbers on either it nor on the tension, but on the tension I never know which way to turn it to make it work right, but have gotten it adjusted so it is right at the moment, so won't fiddle with that until I need to.
Thanks for the help.

deplaylady 10-01-2011 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
Thanks for the information on the no. 66 bobbins for the older machines. My hubby thought that one might just file down the new ones and make them work, but I don't want to mess up my wonderful 99 with trying them. It's not worth it. I'll gladly pay the dollar each for the bobbins from now on. How many do I need, anyway? I have 5 of the new ones and one old one that came in the machine. Should I go and buy more, 'just in case'?
Another dumb question. My 99 has a knob that makes the stitch length longer and shorter. Now which way do I need to turn it to make it longer? Anyone know? And how far to make much of a difference in the stitch length? There are no numbers on either it nor on the tension, but on the tension I never know which way to turn it to make it work right, but have gotten it adjusted so it is right at the moment, so won't fiddle with that until I need to.
Thanks for the help.

According to my manual to lengthen the stitch, turn the thumb screw to the right. To shorten the stitch, turn the thumb screw over to the left. It doesn't say how much to make a difference - I seem to remember it didn't take make.

AliceQ 10-01-2011 09:14 AM

Hi all! I need help! I just bought a Kenmore 158.19461. It's a free arm machine without it's bed. Do any of you know where I might find this piece? Also it's a zig zag machine that won't zig zag. I've cleaned and oiled what I can get to and it didn't help. Any advice?

Charlee 10-01-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Wow and WOW, Charlee! Geeze, that Davis makes me drool! You guys have done a fantastic job! Nancy

Charlee, A trifle bit is just a wee bit less less than a tad bit. Does this help?? :mrgreen:

Yuh-huh!! :lol:

irishrose 10-01-2011 09:29 AM

miriam, on the Spartan, can you just loosen the pressure on the presser foot to FMQ? With my 301, I do not drop the feed dogs. It seems to work better with them slightly up.

Charlee 10-01-2011 09:30 AM

But, they have the same size motor and power?

I would think so...be careful with the 128...those shuttles don't do well with a lot of speed from what I understand.