Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Deara 10-14-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I finished cleaning my 15-30. I put a repro hand crank on it also and painted out the Chinese letters - fortunately mine moves really smoothly and quietly. I had bought the machine for $20 and it was missing the slide plate - and the box. I bought a wood box on eBay that was covered with ugly wallpaper.I removed the wallpaper thinking I would paint it but the joints didn't look very good. So I put red oak veneer on it and stained it. Here is the finished product:

Your Gretel looks like a 15 to me.
Great job cleaning her up.
Love the handcrank.

Blessings,
Sandi

Charlee 10-14-2011 06:56 PM

I finished cleaning my 15-30. I put a repro hand crank on it also and painted out the Chinese letters - fortunately mine moves really smoothly and quietly. I had bought the machine for $20 and it was missing the slide plate - and the box. I bought a wood box on eBay that was covered with ugly wallpaper.I removed the wallpaper thinking I would paint it but the joints didn't look very good. So I put red oak veneer on it and stained it. Here is the finished product:

REALLY pretty!! Was the veneer very expensive?

deplaylady 10-14-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Not really - the veneer cost $10 total. It was in iron-on pre-glued rolls.

Charlee 10-14-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Not really - the veneer cost $10 total. It was in iron-on pre-glued rolls.

:) I watched a program once where the guy took iron on veneer and cut shapes to make an inlaid pattern....I've always wanted to do that!

HisPatchwork 10-14-2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay kids here is a link go have fun........ Oh and you can get a glimpse of the 160th Anniversary Singer and yes I will have one as soon as I can get my paws on it!!!!

http://www.mysingerstory.com

Billy

Thanks, I like the certificate that you can have printed out with your name, the serial #, and date of issue for the machine...looks real nice!

Honchey 10-14-2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork

Okay kids here is a link go have fun........ Oh and you can get a glimpse of the 160th Anniversary Singer and yes I will have one as soon as I can get my paws on it!!!!

Billy

Thanks, I like the certificate that you can have printed out with your name, the serial #, and date of issue for the machine...looks real nice!

I have 9 Singers dated before 1970...Do you think I can get a certificate for every one???

deplaylady 10-14-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork

Billy

I have 9 Singers dated before 1970...Do you think I can get a certificate for every one???

I did! For all 9 of them!

deplaylady 10-14-2011 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I gave the Red Eye the spa treatment, but needed a new display box for her to sit in. I did some talking to our Glenn and we made a deal to trade my Singer 319 for two custom display boxes. Here is my Red Eye now, all decked out in her new box with the fancy attached little box. Aren't they both beautiful !!!

Texas Jan

I just have to say how beautiful this came out - hard to believe it's the same machine! That little lady really got her money's worth at that spa.

Janis 10-14-2011 09:04 PM

I gave the Red Eye the spa treatment, but needed a new display box for her to sit in. I did some talking to our Glenn and we made a deal to trade my Singer 319 for two custom display boxes. Here is my Red Eye now, all decked out in her new box with the fancy attached little box. Aren't they both beautiful !!!

Texas Jan

I just have to say how beautiful this came out - hard to believe it's the same machine! That little lady really got her money's worth at that spa.

I agree!!! She is a real beauty now, and has her dignity back!!

melinda1962 10-14-2011 09:05 PM

Texas Jan

WOW!!! All I can say is if anybody thinks their machine is too sad to save, just look at that. Wonderful job, and great box. The machine looks quite at home. Happy dance for it!!