Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Quilt Mom 06-22-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Thanks Billy, I will be able to give my old Seidel & Naumann a polish when it gets here. It's so frustrating not to be able to get all the stuff you have access to in the USA. Perhaps you should go into the supply business with a cleaning kit we could all purchase! LOL.

Even in the US, we do not all have ready access to the things Billy has listed. I am still trying to find GoJo and Liquid Gold pourable.

Thanks, Charlee, for the definition. I see even my 'new' machine hits the edge of vintage - at 1979.

dunster 06-22-2010 06:53 AM

The Scotts Liquid Gold site has it on sale right now. If you can use more than one of their products, shipping won't be too bad. I found Gojo at an automotive supply.

meant to add the site - http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/scot.../products.html

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Thanks Billy, I will be able to give my old Seidel & Naumann a polish when it gets here. It's so frustrating not to be able to get all the stuff you have access to in the USA. Perhaps you should go into the supply business with a cleaning kit we could all purchase! LOL.

Even in the US, we do not all have ready access to the things Billy has listed. I am still trying to find GoJo and Liquid Gold pourable.

Thanks, Charlee, for the definition. I see even my 'new' machine hits the edge of vintage - at 1979.

Miz Johnny 06-22-2010 07:06 AM

[quote=Quilt Mom]

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
How can you tell if a machine is just old or a Vintage Machine? How do you find out just how old it might be?

I've always heard that antique refers to an item more than 100 years old and vintage to any item 50 to 100 years old.

PunkQuilter 06-22-2010 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
look at this beauty!

Darcene 06-22-2010 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
look at this beauty!

WOW!!! Is this yours or will it be soon? Just beautiful.....

Lacelady 06-22-2010 10:50 AM

I found the Liquid gold on ebay, and I have just looked and Gojo is there too, after I tried Swarfega here, as that seemed the nearest equivalent. That might help some of you.

Kas 06-22-2010 01:43 PM

Ok. I am trying to get my daughter's 1926 Singer 66 ready for her to start her first quilt top. When I did a practice run, the pieces I was sewing together curled up the back of the presser foot. So it is all bunched up. I have tried adjusting the tension, and am still having the same problem. I can pull it straight after taking it out from under the needle, but it just seems to me that it shouldn't be doing this. Any ideas?

And no, this isn't the one I took apart to clean! That one is still all over the place! Lol!

Lostn51 06-22-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
Ok. I am trying to get my daughter's 1926 Singer 66 ready for her to start her first quilt top. When I did a practice run, the pieces I was sewing together curled up the back of the presser foot. So it is all bunched up. I have tried adjusting the tension, and am still having the same problem. I can pull it straight after taking it out from under the needle, but it just seems to me that it shouldn't be doing this. Any ideas?

And no, this isn't the one I took apart to clean! That one is still all over the place! Lol!

There should be a thumbscrew on top of the machine that the presserfoot bar goes through. Try and to take some tension off of the presserfoot first if that doesnt work then try and to increase the tension.

If that is not working then take some tension out of the bobbin. To do this you will slide the bobbin plate back as far as it will go. Then take a wee little screwdriver and turn the screw a 1/4 turn counter clockwise. The screw you want to play with is the one that is in line with the notch of the bobbin plate. That is what the notch is for letting the screwdriver get a straighter shot at the tension screw.

Only adjust it 1/4 turn at a time. In the perfect world the bobbin and the top tension will be equal to each other.

Billy

Kat B 06-22-2010 02:14 PM

woohoooo, I'm vintage.
Kat B
(been a very long, very hot day)

Kas 06-22-2010 02:23 PM

Thanks, Billy! I forgot about that knob. Here goes!