Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

quiltdoctor 11-17-2011 05:36 PM

Singer 12 Wheel

Does anyone know how to remove the wheel from a Singer Model 12 fiddlebase? I cannot see any screws and the center of the wheel twists freely and is attached to a strong spring that pulls it back into position. I was haping to take the wheel off when I repaint, but I may have to just leave it on and paint as best I can around her.

Texas Jan

jlhmnj 11-17-2011 05:49 PM

Remove belt guard. Drive out tapered pin on hand wheel and remove after soaking.

quiltdoctor 11-17-2011 06:44 PM

Thanks--I'm not real sure where the tapered pin is. Maybe you could give me a clue?

Texas Jan

deplaylady 11-17-2011 06:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4691527)
Something wrong here. What happened to the cabinets and machines?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/fuo/2708116433.html

This sort of has to do with a question I've been meaning to ask... is there a way to find out what kind of machine/cabinet the irons originally came from? I needed a table for my front entry and refused to pay the $250 all the furniture stores wanted for tables so my husband and I hit up the craft antique co-op.We found this for $40 - and since it was already past being a base and it is beautiful, its now Gretel's base. Any way to tell what it came from? It's 29" tall - the irons on my White treadle measure 14" to the wooden cabinet - these are really tall! I'd really like to know, but have no idea where to even start -- anyone recognize the shape/pattern?

jlhmnj 11-17-2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor (Post 4692060)
Thanks--I'm not real sure where the tapered pin is. Maybe you could give me a clue?

Texas Jan

Guess the location would be called the "collar" of the handwheel or part of handwheel closest to the buisiness end. This pin (peg?) has to be driven from the small end. On mine it was a real PITA cause it hadn't been removed in 140 years and may not be worth removing for painting (?) Hope this is clear.
Jon

Kas 11-17-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady (Post 4692072)
This sort of has to do with a question I've been meaning to ask... is there a way to find out what kind of machine/cabinet the irons originally came from? I needed a table for my front entry and refused to pay the $250 all the furniture stores wanted for tables so my husband and I hit up the craft antique co-op.We found this for $40 - and since it was already past being a base and it is beautiful, its now Gretel's base. Any way to tell what it came from? It's 29" tall - the irons on my White treadle measure 14" to the wooden cabinet - these are really tall! I'd really like to know, but have no idea where to even start -- anyone recognize the shape/pattern?

Looks like the ever popular "Pan Am" treadle! No, seriously. I have no idea, but the bottom shape made me think of Barbie's Friend Ship. Plus I have been watching "Pan Am" on hulu.

jlhmnj 11-17-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady (Post 4692072)

I'll venture a wild guess. The center support looks like something off a Sears Minnesota from 1910 or so. Google Sears Minnesota and view Images. If this isn't it I'd do the same with other makers from this time period but it might just be Sears. Also the bases vary from year to year even by the same makers. Hope this helps.
Jon

Nanamoms 11-17-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish (Post 4690001)

Waaaahhhhh!! It probably won't be that price 2 days from now when the auction ends. I have 5 on ebay watch right now!! But I have some private leads too so not sure what decision I will make.

Nanamoms 11-17-2011 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 4691415)
Sometimes when one addiction is out of control and one is threatened with sleeping on top of treadle cabinets, it needs to be replaced with a more benign addiction. Don't think I could bring myself around to vaccinating myself, I'd probably hit an artery and make a real mess :(

Hmmm...a thought...you could use a blow up mattress and put it on top of the cabinets. All you need is a quilt!! LOL

mpeters1200 11-17-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 4690893)
I have one like it that came in with a NIB sewing machine. The little forks go under the presser foot screw on the outside of the presser foot. I will try to attach it to the machine and get a pic up later tonight. I have a "block party" for pre-Christmas that I am taking my mom to right now. Hang in there.

Edit: I found the pic I was thinking of.

I swear if that works I will owe you coffee or a FQ or my firstborn son...well, you wouldnt' want any of my sons, too much maintenance...I owe you the next VSM I find. I don't know, but it's something! It looks like I was putting it on a bit backwards. I'm going to fiddle with it tomorrow and see if I can get it to match the pic. That would be AWESOME.

Thank you.

~M~