Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

chris_quilts 11-19-2011 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 (Post 4697827)
Wow! I would have loved to go with you! Sounds wonderful! A 15-91 is going to be my next acquisition...after I get a house to hold 3 machines...well 4 including the modern Janome. I am hoping to find one either with a cabinet or be able to find a cabinet for one. I want to FMQ and the cabinet would be just what I need to reduce the drag. I'm learning more and more about cabinets now. That trapezoid sounds fun. She sounds like the type of lady to sit down and have some coffee with and get a history lesson!

It was a great day but would have been better witha fellow quilter as I also refound a quilt store that I knew the general location but not the exact and now I have the exact location. She is a neat lady and DH is thinking about going with me the next time I go visit her. We will probably bring some home made goody to share with her. FYI: DH said possibly on the machine for Christmas present. Younger DD proud of me that I didn't buy all of her machines but frankly I was out of space and not because I was resisting the virus. ~ Chris

vintagemotif 11-19-2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 4698397)
I also enjoy meeting people like that and she really made my day, too. I talso cost me nothing to spend some time with someone who was wanting some company that day. Am working on trying to build up my treasures in Heaven by doing unexpected acts of kindness. Probably sounds silly but am convicted that if we all stepped outside of ourselves and spent time with others, the world would be better place but so would we as a person. ~ Chris

Amen!! Very well stated and totally agree!

Quilter7x 11-19-2011 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. I just got a new-to-me Kenmore 158.14101 sewing machine. DH says it needs a good cleaning and oiling. We just ordered a manual from eBay. The plastic part of the foot pedal has broken and the foot pedal is not usable like this. I did a Google search for model 6813 foot pedal and they are all sold out. Does anyone here have one they're willing to part with?

BoJangles 11-19-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman (Post 4697313)
Hope this pic of the mini I did on Elaine (201) comes through. It measures 10" x 12" finished and was really fun to make. Anybody that would like instructions can PM me with email address and I'll provide.

Weedwoman, I love the mini and all the pin wheels!

Great job!

Nancy

miriam 11-19-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman (Post 4697313)
Hope this pic of the mini I did on Elaine (201) comes through. It measures 10" x 12" finished and was really fun to make. Anybody that would like instructions can PM me with email address and I'll provide.

If you hold down your computer's control button and hit + a couple times the picture will get bigger and you can see those buttons! To get the screen smaller again hold down the control button and hit the minus as many times as you hit the plus. One very nice piece of work Weedwoman.

Weedwoman, the neighbor lady says I got into sumac AND poison ivy last summer AND possibly Virginia creeper. We still have to get rid of it some how. Is this a good time of year to chop it down?

BoJangles 11-19-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 4698149)
I've been saving a spot for a Raymond or New England style sewing machine. They were made in the 1850's and 60's and are a walking foot chainstitch. Job Davis it is claimed was influenced by the walking foot part for his Vertical Feed. Really neat story behind Raymond: http://www.sewalot.com/charles_raymond.htm
Jon

Jon, thank you for the link - I love the history of these sewing machine pioneers!

Nancy

Weedwoman 11-19-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4698862)
If you hold down your computer's control button and hit + a couple times the picture will get bigger and you can see those buttons! To get the screen smaller again hold down the control button and hit the minus as many times as you hit the plus. One very nice piece of work Weedwoman.

Weedwoman, the neighbor lady says I got into sumac AND poison ivy last summer AND possibly Virginia creeper. We still have to get rid of it some how. Is this a good time of year to chop it down?

You can cut it but you need to treat the 'stumps' with Tordon to get a good kill and hopefully it will retard it from appearing next year. Good luck.

miriam 11-19-2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman (Post 4698988)
You can cut it but you need to treat the 'stumps' with Tordon to get a good kill and hopefully it will retard it from appearing next year. Good luck.

looks like Rural King has it! Thanks. We have a very long line of fence on both sides of the property. The phone company came in to do it and gave up. Phone line everywhere. Some of the trees looked like they were on fire with red vines a couple weeks ago.

Charlee 11-19-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 4698149)
I've been saving a spot for a Raymond or New England style sewing machine. They were made in the 1850's and 60's and are a walking foot chainstitch. Job Davis it is claimed was influenced by the walking foot part for his Vertical Feed. Really neat story behind Raymond: http://www.sewalot.com/charles_raymond.htm
Jon

Great info Jon!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Charlee 11-19-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x (Post 4698789)
Hi everyone. I just got a new-to-me Kenmore 158.14101 sewing machine. DH says it needs a good cleaning and oiling. We just ordered a manual from eBay. The plastic part of the foot pedal has broken and the foot pedal is not usable like this. I did a Google search for model 6813 foot pedal and they are all sold out. Does anyone here have one they're willing to part with?

Diane, Check with Guy Baker http://www.sewingmachineparts.net/ He is an OSMG, and a good and trustworthy one!!