Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Muv 09-23-2012 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Charlee - Really sorry to hear you have been ill. Relax, take it easy, get everyone else to do the work... I know I'm saying the same as everyone else... I'll be praying they get the treatment right first time.

Miriam - Absolutely love the grandchildren. Send them round here, there are a couple of machines that need cleaning.

Here is the latest, a Singer 48K that I found in a second hand shop on Friday. It's a bit muckier than I usually go for, but I'm a sucker for transverse shuttles, and the decals are too pretty to pass by.

pfroggg 09-23-2012 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5535990)
Laura, That machine is cute! Looking forward to seeing your demo at Cathy's next TOGA!

Yes! :D (Note that a winter (mini-)TOGA is coming up--possibly the last week of December. Mark your calendar!)

pat

miriam 09-23-2012 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5535848)
Miriam, cute kids. Love the red hair and the curls. Which Singer are they working on? I see my Elna behind them.

I'm thinking they were 'working' on a Singer 401 I had on the bench when they surprised me. Little Miss L was asked about her 'red' hair and she very smartly, hands on hips told everybody (in a crowed elevator) we had to use henna so the louses wouldn't eat our hairs. Uh - my DD is very afraid they might get lice at church so she puts henna on the hair. Miss L's is probably the color mine was when I was a little kid LOL. Oh and Wilbur's curls ARE real. He has crazy wild curly hair and no it is not really red. See avitar... LOL

Laura, I don't care if it isn't real - I LOVE IT!!!

Bennett 09-23-2012 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5534147)
Hey Folks- here's a machine I picked up on the way home from TOGA. Isn't it cute? It looks like the motor caught fire, because there is a scorch where the motor mount was. But, with the motor gone, you can see the "made in occupied Japan" label. Fun, huh?

I like the poppy decals! Too cute.

Edit: Just read they were a "home job." Very neat.

Bennett 09-23-2012 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5534490)
I'm going to try again to post the pic of the GKs working in my shop...

They are darling, and they look like they're being a great help. :)

Bennett 09-23-2012 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Muv (Post 5536073)
Here is the latest, a Singer 48K that I found in a second hand shop on Friday. It's a bit muckier than I usually go for, but I'm a sucker for transverse shuttles, and the decals are too pretty to pass by.

The decals on that look almost like cloisonne to me. I definitely wouldn't have passed that one up either.

Bennett 09-23-2012 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Didn't find much in the way of sewing stuff on my weekend in the big city, just a 66 that stayed where it was. A little too rich for my blood at the thrift store. But, I did get a picture because it was a blackside machine. Someone had stripped off the motor, and the case had been painted over or something. I did pick up a couple of queen sized bedskirts cheap (yay!) and went a little crazy at Quilter's Stash in Hurst. Nice guy taking care of the store, chatty and friendly atmosphere.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365094[/ATTACH]

Bennett 09-23-2012 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 5536003)
I have an amazing story for yall. After we lost Mama in January, I had decided to start being a better person in my own weird way and started making the lap quilts to donate for door prizes monthly at our local country music show.

That is a wonderful story...definitely one of those meant-to-be things!

irishrose 09-23-2012 04:45 PM

What a lovely story. Melinda. The quilts are very pretty, but it sounds to me like you already are a good person with a good heart.

melinda1962 09-23-2012 05:36 PM

Thank you. I try to do right. I will make another for next month. Maybe something harvest/fall themed. I like the way the quilts make the people remember the quilts their mother/grandmother or whoever made for them, and I get to hear all the stories, which is cool. At first, I was asked, "Did you make that?" and "Are you just giving that away?" I just smile and say yes. It is sad that so few people sew or quilt much anymore; I like to think of it as an art form. It is relaxing for me, and everybody knows that giving makes the gifter, not just the receiver, feel better. And I get to use my vintage machines and learn something new most projects. I had gotten a White Jeans machine a while back, for $5 at a yard sale, and it had an awesome hopping quilting foot in the accessories. It has a larger eye that my Pfaff one, and works on all my machines.