Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

JudyTheSewer 01-28-2012 04:23 PM

What treadle would you prefer for free motion quilting - Singer 115 or 15-88?

I am thinking of adding a treadle machine to my collection for free motion quiliting. I have few 66's, a Davis NVF, a WW9 and WW8. What would you recommend, a Singer 115 or Singer 15-88? I really have a preference for having a 115 if their performance is basically equal. I understand that the feed dogs drop on a 15-88 where they do not drop on the 115. I am thinking that won't matter much to me, I'll just cover the feed dogs with an index card or something. I searched the board and many people are using the 15-88 for free motion work. Is it really that much better than the 115? Or, is it a case where there are not as many 115's around? As always, thank you everyone for your opinions! - Judy

quiltdoctor 01-28-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 4920012)
Hi, the WW8 I have is serial number 483301. That silver piece above the '8' on mine says "Pat Dec". The latest date on the plate is August 27, 1878. I don't know if this information is helpful or not.

There probably was a year to go with that Dec date. Still gives us another number that is in the same general area.

Thanks,

Texas Jan

BoJangles 01-28-2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by icon17 (Post 4919215)
Hi, Bo ? I have one just like this But its totaly locked Up!1 anyone here have any idea what can be done?

You must be talking about the Spartan I picked up for $10 bucks a couple weeks ago? First have you tried oiling her and just letting her soak? Second, I'd take off the bobbin plate, there is probably a big mess under there that has the machine completely jammed up. Usually when something is totally locked up, it is because someone tried to force the machine with a birds nest/thread tangle. Have you looked at the race/bobbin casing? Is there a thread tangle in there? I'd start there!

Nancy

Charlee 01-28-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor (Post 4920053)
There probably was a year to go with that Dec date. Still gives us another number that is in the same general area.

Thanks,

Texas Jan

Mine has Dec 27 of 81 as well.. :)

quiltdoctor 01-28-2012 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4920198)
Mine has Dec 27 of 81 as well.. :)

Well-that dates them a little younger (so to speak) still a nice ripe old age.

Texas Jan

Candace 01-28-2012 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been searching high and low for a vintage Singer card table for short bed 301's/401 machines and FINALLY have one. I'm so excited. It needs refinishing but is otherwise in working condition and will work perfectly for me as I use these machines to FMQ a lot. I have 3 shortbeds and a 401 and all will fit in the table. I don't use the 401, for FMQ but it will also be better for my long sewing runs to have it set in the table. It seems this is one of the hardest tables to find! I had one with a FW cutout offered to me and have seen those for sale, but finding this particular cutout wasn't easy. Especially since I didn't want to pay the outrageous amount they're going for on ebay right now. Happy dance.

You can see how the machine fits perfectly and the side cutout will allow the 401 to fit perfectly too:>

Candace 01-28-2012 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A closer view of the cut out.

Charlee 01-28-2012 06:02 PM

Nice!! Congrats Candace! :)

Grannyh67 01-28-2012 06:23 PM

Charlee, I'm so sorry for your.I know how you feel. I have I have lost two of my Sisters. Prayer going up for you. Granny
The chair looks great

jlhmnj 01-28-2012 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt (Post 4919954)
My DH and I went to an antique store today and they had a Singer Red Eye. It was an electric machine in a tredle sewing cabinet, it looks like they switched it to electric. It was dated (according to the tag) was 1949. Does that sound right? Does anyone know when they stopped making the Red Eyes?

Stopped the Redeye design in the mid 20's and went over to all black with gold decals. Could have been electrified in '49 or earlier.
Jon