Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 03-31-2012 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5106532)
I don't need a recipe...just pack some of those babies in a box and send them express overnight!! :D

Wish I could!! :) Just that the rest of the family are drooling over them now.

BoJangles 03-31-2012 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5106178)
Don't forget the denatured alcohol

Ok Skip, I haven't made it to Lowes yet! Tomorrow, I am going to Home Depot - I hope they have all the supplies! It would be so cool to see everyone's before and after photos!

Nancy

vintagemotif 03-31-2012 08:38 PM

Hahaa my husband just said, "why do I have three buns?! Most of us just have two.":D

vintagemotif 03-31-2012 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5106543)
Ok Skip, I haven't made it to Lowes yet! Tomorrow, I am going to Home Depot - I hope they have all the supplies! It would be so cool to see everyone's before and after photos!

Nancy

Nancy, I have to go to Lowes or Home Depot too. I plan to post a before and after picture too. It would be fun and very helpful to see everyone's work. Also for the benefit of learning what worked and any discoveries made in the process of working on this project.

vintagemotif 03-31-2012 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5106520)
HELLO! Recipe???

Here you go Hon!! (said in my thick Balmer, Murland accent while wearing my beehive hairdo today with apron)

The link to the recipe: http://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes...ml#post5106616

Enjoy!

nanna-up-north 04-01-2012 03:13 AM

Recipe looks great.... thanks!!

I thought I'd check back in this morning.... I'm a morning person and can't stay focused once it's 11pm here in the midwest. Anyway, I want to check and make sure I understand the refinishing process.

You use the naptha to clean off the oil on the machine
Then you use the denatured alcohol to blend and smooth the shellac, right?
Then if you need to add shellac, you dip in shellac and add a couple drops of linseed oil, right?

Am I leaving out a step? I'll have to check and see what I need from the hardware store and start working on the machine my sister-in-law gave me. I probably still have some cleaning to do..... the cabinet is really dirty, too.

I'm still a little confused about what to do if the finish isn't shellac..... don't know how to tell if it's some other finish so I'll be checking in to see if anyone answers my questions and corrects the steps I think I understand.

miriam 04-01-2012 03:47 AM

Whee - sticky buns and sewing machine finish repair. What a combo. I have to do mine out doors. I just can't do chemicals in the house. It needs to warm up tool...

Brynn 04-01-2012 05:10 AM

Thanks Skip! Okay, just because I am a organizational fanatic, and because I haven't had my coffee yet so I'm a little slow, are the following instructions correct?

1. Gather naptha, linseed oil, denatured alcohol, and shellac.
2. Clean machine with soap and water.
3. Wipe machine down with naptha to remove old oil.
4. Dip finger covered in rag in denatured alcohol, then add 2-3 drops of linseed oil. Swipe finger over machine, gently blending old, brown, gunky finish with good finish until smooth and clear. Do not rub! Continue motions off the edge of the machine to avoid sticking.
5. Insert instructions here for applying shellac?

I write a ton of instruction guides for my work, so I start to panic if things aren't in a nice numbered format. XD Did I get it right?

miriam 04-01-2012 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Brynn (Post 5106960)
Thanks Skip! Okay, just because I am a organizational fanatic, and because I haven't had my coffee yet so I'm a little slow, are the following instructions correct?

1. Gather naptha, linseed oil, denatured alcohol, and shellac.
2. Clean machine with soap and water.
3. Wipe machine down with naptha to remove old oil.
4. Dip finger covered in rag in denatured alcohol, then add 2-3 drops of linseed oil. Swipe finger over machine, gently blending old, brown, gunky finish with good finish until smooth and clear. Do not rub! Continue motions off the edge of the machine to avoid sticking.
5. Insert instructions here for applying shellac?

I write a ton of instruction guides for my work, so I start to panic if things aren't in a nice numbered format. XD Did I get it right?

Brynn, maybe you and Glenn can team up on this one!!! This needs it's own domain so we can post pics AND find it again!

BoJangles 04-01-2012 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5107020)
Brynn, maybe you and Glenn can team up on this one!!! This needs it's own domain so we can post pics AND find it again!

I agree with Miriam now on this one! Brynn, I love it that you have organized the instructions! Glenn, yes before everyone starts posting all their before and after photos we need to put this in its own domain as Miriam said - so we CAN all find it again and see all the trials and errors and triumphant endeavors!

Nancy