Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 04-16-2012 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5147060)
I posted a new thread here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5147053

John Langdon is looking for help with compiling a database for dating our Wheeler & Wilson D9 and Singer 9W machines... please post to the thread if you have one! (Texas Jan, we *really* need the info on your new girl!! :) )

Who is John Langdon? He's not the dude that designs the ambigrams? I have a Singer 9W that I will post. :)

Charlee 04-16-2012 09:25 PM

I'm not sure Monica, I've never seen one of the newsletters! (I keep meaning to join....one of these days I will!)

vintagemotif 04-16-2012 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5147318)
I'm not sure Monica, I've never seen one of the newsletters! (I keep meaning to join....one of these days I will!)

I haven't joined either. I'm having a difficult time just keeping up with this place and getting quilting done. :)

nurseknitsLaura 04-16-2012 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5147274)
Joe, thanks for the info. Everything on the white looks pristine in the photo so I will probably take a look at it and see what I can determine is the problem.

I am definitely going to look at the Franklin tomorrow. It is not in a cabinet and doesn't come with anything. If I get it, it will my grungiest vintage purchase that I have ever made. I guess it just looks like a good challenge to me. If nothing else, maybe it will be a nice show piece on one of my shelves.

Thanks again Candace for all of your help. :)

I have a white 77. it is a solid machine. I rewired mine, as I didn't like the foot controller. Actually, I TRIED to re wire it, and then Mizkaki came over and rescued me in about 3 minutes. I failed to take picture of the wiring before removing it, certain that I would remember how it went. You can stop laughing anytime, now. This machine had really grungy tension plates. At first I thought it was rust, but after taking it apart I fund it was stuck together with dried oil. weird, but true.

I have just finished my second machine using Skipper's tutorial on French polish. It is amazing. It is hard to get a meaningful photo of the change, but in person it is really a stunning difference. Completely worth doing. Maybe this Franklin, as your most grungy, would be a good candidate? Laura

miriam 04-17-2012 01:23 AM

There is a good possibility my Vindex Special will star in a play, Fiddler on the Roof. Do you think it is a good choice for the poor tailor? I still have to put the stitch length knob on it, put it back in the base and put a belt on it. I just hope they don't have to change sets quickly. LOL... Heavy metal. The Vindex Special looks pretty good after the Glenn Treatment and getting re-assembled.

miriam 04-17-2012 02:11 AM

http://dayton.craigslist.org/atq/2960383483.html too bad this one is so far away..... I like the cabinet...

J Miller 04-17-2012 04:22 AM

Miriam,

Joey likes that one. Road Trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish, but not to be. It does answer a question I posted a week or so ago. I'll go pull up that thread later and post on it again.

Joe

miriam 04-17-2012 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5147646)
Miriam,

Joey likes that one. Road Trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish, but not to be. It does answer a question I posted a week or so ago. I'll go pull up that thread later and post on it again.

Joe

Joe, I wish I could do that road trip. I really like that set up. I hope somebody here will fetch it.

quiltdoctor 04-17-2012 04:54 AM

I'll post to the site later today. Maybe he will have some info on little Half Pint.

Texas Jan

BoJangles 04-17-2012 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5145887)
Then it should hold up just fine. The local, big box stores typically only carry Rayon embroidery thread. I have to mail order mine (Isacord) or buy it from a sewing machine store. I would also feel comfortable using rayon on towels etc. that aren't being bleached.

I agree with Candace on the rayon thread. Candace I have bought almost every shade of Isacord from Meissners in Folsom. I bet the store down near Arden mall has it too. I love the Isacord - I started using it when my embroidery machine kept refusing to sew with other brands of embroidery thread - love the stuff!

Joe, the reason I asked about the thread weight it just looking at the photos makes it look like the thread your wife is using is a heavier weight thread. When I buy my fancy jeans, the decorative thread on them has to be 30 weight or heavier. I haven't been able to find thread like that unless I get upholstery thread. I have taken the inseam apart to open up a leg on jeans to embroider flowers on the leg, but never tried to go through more than a single layer. I am inspired to try embroidering around the pockets after seeing those photos! You know those really nice jeans with the glitz all over the pockets run around $100 a pair! I just might start getting plain jeans and doing the decorating myself! Thanks for the inspiration!
Nancy