Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

nurseknitsLaura 05-23-2012 02:53 PM

If I've already put pictures of a machine up on this thread, should I also put them on the picture thread? Spending a lot of quality time on the couch, as my surgically enhance foot is healing....seemed like as good a time as any to upload photos.... When I dumped off a bag at Goodwill this morning, I noticed a cute little brown crinkle finish VS with no name, but a New Home looking foot set up. Three things kept me from buying it: I can't carry it on crutches, it didn't have it's shuttle, and it was in a cabinet with a knee bar, so I'd have to totally re-wire it to a foot pedal. Now, of course, I'm wondering if it is still there, sadly waiting for rescue....Laura

vintagemotif 05-23-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5238219)
If I've already put pictures of a machine up on this thread, should I also put them on the picture thread? Spending a lot of quality time on the couch, as my surgically enhance foot is healing....seemed like as good a time as any to upload photos.... When I dumped off a bag at Goodwill this morning, I noticed a cute little brown crinkle finish VS with no name, but a New Home looking foot set up. Three things kept me from buying it: I can't carry it on crutches, it didn't have it's shuttle, and it was in a cabinet with a knee bar, so I'd have to totally re-wire it to a foot pedal. Now, of course, I'm wondering if it is still there, sadly waiting for rescue....Laura

Hi Laura, What kind of surgery did you have done on your foot?

jljack 05-23-2012 03:45 PM

Hi Laura - Hope you are mending well!! We'll keep you company!! LOL

grayhare 05-23-2012 03:48 PM

Hi Monica, Thank you exactly what I needed to know, and Thank you, Laura, and purplefiend for your help too!

BoJangles 05-23-2012 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5238200)
What????? :shock::shock::shock: We have all been told repeatedly and with certainty that those small bobbins only fit the 221 and 301. Something new every day!! That's for sure!

Janice I love the new A G Mason, New Glenwood, machine! How cute! Look at the back of the bed? It is rounded off! I wonder how old that machine is? It is a very different looking machine - I don't remember seeing another machine with a bed like that?

Hazelnut, I love all your machines, even the yellow and tan Brother!

Nancy

vintagemotif 05-23-2012 03:50 PM

Talking about research, I have been researching on bra making. Has anyone made their own bras?

I hate the padded bras since I find them uncomfortable and hot...and really hot and sweaty when having hot flashes.

I'm broad chested, but not well-endowed, 38A...and Cooper's droop is settling in(old age).
Since the bra companies like to make bra cup sizes for the more fully figured ladies that are 38s and above, I'm having a difficult time finding a cup that fits.

:D I'm laughing at myself right now; I just confused to what I have been researching. You now know that I'm really nuts since I want to make my own bra. I have also been thinking of designs. There has got to be a better way of making a bra that works in lift and is comfy too.

And yes, this bra will be made with a vintage sewing machine!:)

nurseknitsLaura 05-23-2012 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5238258)
Hi Laura, What kind of surgery did you have done on your foot?

My big toe was frozen from a bone spur. which made me walk on the outside of my foot, which caused a stress fracture and a sprained ankle, and a partridge in a pear tree...now my big toe is un-frozen, and in the ouchie physical therapy phase of recovery. Somehow I thought 5 weeks off work would be more fun! But it looks like the surgery was the right decision, things are getting better! Laura

nurseknitsLaura 05-23-2012 04:00 PM

I think there was a Threads article on making your own bra. I have also read about taking one that fits well apart, and using that as your pattern, and also recycling the "hardware" from the bra. Have you considered a sports type bra? I have heard that they are pretty comfortable for the A-C cup crowd. Which I am not in, unfortunately. My bra's remind me more of a suspension bridge than anything else:p Laura

quiltdoctor 05-23-2012 04:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5238384)
Janice I love the new A G Mason, New Glenwood, machine! How cute! Look at the back of the bed? It is rounded off! I wonder how old that machine is? It is a very different looking machine - I don't remember seeing another machine with a bed like that?

Hazelnut, I love all your machines, even the yellow and tan Brother!

Nancy

My 1915 AG Mason "Golden Star" looks mighty like the New Glenwood. Mine came in a beautiful cabinet, that I haven't had time to restore yet. Check her out.

Texas Jan

vintagemotif 05-23-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5238404)
My big toe was frozen from a bone spur. which made me walk on the outside of my foot, which caused a stress fracture and a sprained ankle, and a partridge in a pear tree...now my big toe is un-frozen, and in the ouchie physical therapy phase of recovery. Somehow I thought 5 weeks off work would be more fun! But it looks like the surgery was the right decision, things are getting better! Laura

OUCH! That's not nice. Hopefully you have a speedy recovery! Feet pain is no fun.