Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

purplefiend 05-30-2013 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 6093156)
Just back from 3 days at the coast...our 14th is tomorrow, but since we have to work, we went a few days early. Had a great time! :)
Didn't see MUCH in the way of machines, and certainly nothing to write home about...almost bought an Elna Supermatic, but no cord, and he still wanted $50 for it...I'm too cheap for that! LOL!

Looks like everyone's been busy!!

Happy 14th Charlee.

Charlee 05-30-2013 06:05 PM

Thanks for the anniversary wishes!! :)

Crossstitcher 05-31-2013 04:22 AM

Happy 14th to you and yours Charlee.

Windblown 06-01-2013 11:31 AM

Help please molasses soak for rust on throat plate?

On the 99-31 I just got he has rust on the very edges of the main throat plate, I have polished and polished on this and it's not budging. Probaly because the rust is on the cut edges of the metal. I searched on you tube and found this Aussie who soaks entire vintage car body parts for up 2 weeks in molasses and water solution. Has anyone tried this? Any other low risk solutions?

~ Karen B

Mizkaki 06-01-2013 11:47 AM

Karen,

I've used this method on rusty machine attachment and parts. It works very well, but very slow.
When the parts are removed from the solution there is a crust on them. I use brass wire brush to
easily remove the crust.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 6098017)
On the 99-31 I just got he has rust on the very edges of the main throat plate, I have polished and polished on this and it's not budging. Probaly because the rust is on the cut edges of the metal. I searched on you tube and found this Aussie who soaks entire vintage car body parts for up 2 weeks in molasses and water solution. Has anyone tried this? Any other low risk solutions?

~ Karen B

Windblown 06-01-2013 12:28 PM

Thank you Mizkaki, I just did not want to damage anything. I have lots of time now I have retired. Plus I like no harsh chemicals. Would the brass brush damage the chrome or what ever the throat plates are made of?

Mom3 06-01-2013 01:20 PM

JB weld question:

To those of you who have used this, do you use the type that you have to mix or do you use the tube type?

Glenn 06-01-2013 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 6098017)

~ Karen B

I think I will just use the Evaporust it works great and is non toxic.
Skip

Glenn 06-01-2013 02:00 PM

I have been busy answering question on where to find my tutorials on Repairing the clear shellac coat and refinsihing cleaning and reviving furniture( sewing machine cabinets) I think this should be sticky. How do we do this?
Skip

miriam 06-01-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6098172)
I have been busy answering question on where to find my tutorials on Repairing the clear shellac coat and refinsihing cleaning and reviving furniture( sewing machine cabinets) I think this should be sticky. How do we do this?
Skip

Yes that should be a sticky
I don't know - maybe find a moderator?