Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

KenmoreRulesAll 03-24-2014 08:23 AM

Hey, Rodney -- Thanks for your kind words. I don't know enough to choose machines based upon specs and engineering, so I mostly go on looks alone and I have no idea about value or brand. As for photography, I do what I can with this old camera but it hunts around for focus, particularly if the shot is a complicated image and it doesn't know what to choose as its point of reference. Time for a new one.

And thanks for the welcome, too. I'm happy to be here.

chris_quilts 03-25-2014 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kenmore;

In answer to your query, the White front with the levers and stitch length area does look like my Necchi BU. I believe there are other machines too with a similar look. Attempting to attach a photo if I have what I'm referencing.

Edited to add: Not so much now that I look at it. Sorry - I was obviously addlepated there.

KenmoreRulesAll 03-26-2014 02:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, Chris -- It's the same color! :p

I really like the styling of that particular Necchi. Very '50s, especially the logo on the bed. I have one like it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468976[/ATTACH]
I've never been able to get it unfrozen (the bane of Necchis, from what I've learned -- something to do with the alloys they used and how they expand/contract), so I have this really nice mid-century blonde wood end table that's kinda heavy. I have yet to break out the TriFlow and really work on it, though, so I'm partly to blame. I bought this machine back when I knew absolutely nothing, just that Necchi is a sexy name in sewing machines. The seller offered a fire sale price because he thought it needed a foot pedal/cord in addition to the machine being caked with dust. It turns out it has a knee pedal (something I finally figured out while vacuuming it) tucked way up above the door of the cabinet with one of those long pedal extensions that was turned up.

Smorris17119 03-26-2014 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6641633)
Sharon, I'm a little late but welcome aboard to you too. If you haven't solved the picture resizing problem yet I use a free download called Pixresizer when I need to. If you use photobucket you can do it there easily too.
Rodney

rodney, thanks for the welcome. It's amazing how much information one can find on these boards. I will look into Pixresizer for resizing.
Thanks for the info again.

Rodney 03-26-2014 08:02 AM

Ken you're not that much different in your machine choices except you have better taste. :) I buy what I like and can afford, usually cheap and needing work. I'm a sucker for sad bas***ds, orphans and basket cases. My first reaction is: "I can fix that." We're up to 9 machines at the moment so I'm slowing down on bringing more home and am learning to look for features that fill a need instead of "I like it and it's cheap".
I've got my work cut out for me at the moment. I gave my daughter a Singer 99 (1 of 2, both needing work) and just signed her up for 4H where she will need a portable machine. I have a full-sized Montgomery Wards machine that's ready but it's heavy. I'm building cases for both 99s so they're portable and doing whatever else is necessary for them to sew.
My wife also surprised me with a machine that I picked up Monday. I'll do a thread for it when I can get some decent pictures taken. It needs some work to run too but will shortly be my favorite machine.
Rodney

quilt addict 03-26-2014 12:15 PM

I don't check in here that often anymore. Ken you have certainly a good eye and have numerous machines that I haven't seen before and they all look in great condition. I am more the frozen and rust budget machines.

Glenn 03-26-2014 01:42 PM

Damascus

1 Attachment(s)
I know I should not have bought this one but the decals are so nice. It is a Damascus made by National but it is just pretty.
Skip

miriam 03-26-2014 01:48 PM

It is stunning, Glenn.

grant15clone 03-26-2014 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6646235)
I know I should not have bought this one but the decals are so nice. It is a Damascus made by National but it is just pretty.
Skip

If you are anything like me at all, you would have regretted it later. That looks like a NOS machine. I found a Minnesota A in that condition and wound up selling it. I am kind of regretting selling it now. Very nice find. "Blue Chip Condition" machines like this one are hard and rare to find. You did good.
~G~

miriam 03-26-2014 02:16 PM

I have a NOS machine around here somewhere. It is small and light weight if it isn't in it's case.