Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

KenmoreRulesAll 03-26-2014 03:28 PM

Rodney, believe me, I have my share of sad cases. :) I'm getting better ("...must...resist...the turquoise...Dressmaker...") but I see these dirty, broken, neglected machines and I get The Twinge. I'll never get over my machine obsession so I'm trying to manage it: besides being something I want, a machine has to be 1) valuable (something a true collector would admire); 2) really cheap ($20 or less and it's in my car); 3) fills a hole in my [insert brand name] collection. Baby steps, right?

Glenn 03-26-2014 03:34 PM

No Rodney I don't normally find them in this conditions. I was lucky this time.
Skip

KenmoreRulesAll 03-26-2014 03:37 PM

Hi, Lisa -- thanks very much, you're very kind. I've had some beginner's luck but I've also bought a few that give me some regret such as a Morse that can't even do a zig-zag properly. And I have a few that sew pretty well but are cosmetically beyond repair. I've learned that the mechanics of most machines can be repaired fairly easily (within reason) but once the paint is chipped and the chrome is dented on the non-removable parts, that's pretty much it. So, I don't buy the really ugly ones anymore no matter how well they perform.

And I have to say that there is nothing, I mean nothing better than a seller who is willing to part with a gem for $15 or less. Serious endorphins.

miriam 03-26-2014 03:38 PM

Some of those ugly machine sew better than the pristine ones.

KenmoreRulesAll 03-26-2014 03:38 PM

Glenn, that is a beautiful machine. No wonder you bought it.

Rodney 03-26-2014 04:39 PM

Glenn you know far better than me that a machine that old and in that good of condition isn't easy to find. I think you would have kicked yourself if you let it get away.
Rodney

chris_quilts 03-26-2014 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6645168)
Hey, Chris -- It's the same color! :p

I really like the styling of that particular Necchi. Very '50s, especially the logo on the bed. I have one like it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468976[/ATTACH]
I've never been able to get it unfrozen (the bane of Necchis, from what I've learned -- something to do with the alloys they used and how they expand/contract), so I have this really nice mid-century blonde wood end table that's kinda heavy. I have yet to break out the TriFlow and really work on it, though, so I'm partly to blame. I bought this machine back when I knew absolutely nothing, just that Necchi is a sexy name in sewing machines. The seller offered a fire sale price because he thought it needed a foot pedal/cord in addition to the machine being caked with dust. It turns out it has a knee pedal (something I finally figured out while vacuuming it) tucked way up above the door of the cabinet with one of those long pedal extensions that was turned up.

Beautiful Necchi. Sorry it is frozen. The one pictured is my 1st Necchi, I gave away my 2nd one and have a 3rd that needs serious work. Got #3 from SIL who couldn't get it running and gave it to me as a sad basketcase. It still doesn't run but I have hope that it will.

Chris

KenmoreRulesAll 03-26-2014 06:00 PM

Chris,
Here's to hoping you'll get it running one day. Necchis have great style and many say they're worth the effort. I keep hoping that some day I'll see the light (after I get the switch working) and be converted. For myself, I guess it's learning the proprietary language, the parts, the idiosyncrasies. And lots of TriFlow.

purplefiend 03-27-2014 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6646292)
I have a NOS machine around here somewhere. It is small and light weight if it isn't in it's case.

Miriam,
What does NOS mean?
Sharon W in Texas

grant15clone 03-27-2014 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 6647302)
Miriam,
What does NOS mean?
Sharon W in Texas

New Old Stock. In other words something that is brand new but was made some time ago.
~G~