Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

rosie99 01-06-2015 03:04 PM

Quick question! I got a 201 at an antique shop after Christmas and it is in great shape although missing a few key parts. It is missing the bobbin cover and the tension assembly. Would a tension assembly off a 301 work on the 201? I have a 301 that a supposed "professional" shipped me a couple of years ago in a toilet paper box with cushion foam thrown in. The 301 arrived with the main shaft bent. (Yes I got refunded after I sent him the bobbin case and I kept the rest.) I would check myself but the 301 is in the shed loft and I don't want to disturb the chickens that are there.lol. Thanks!

miriam 01-06-2015 07:04 PM

It might - what have you got to loose?

Quincunx 01-06-2015 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Quincunx (Post 7019134)
A question I should have asked long ago.

What is the way to keep the support arm for the fold-out cabinet top from popping out?

This is one of the plainest cabinets. The bent headed bolt someone screwed into the side of the cabinet was a good idea. Twist it a little to free the support arm, fold up the arm and twist the bolt head back, the arm pops out again but it is held by the bolt. But maybe one time out of ten I put the arm back and it stays in place on its own. What did I do to make it stay in place? Was it friction, or luck, or did I pull the spring and latch it somehow?

I got lucky and the arm stayed caught long enough for me to look underneath and watch it. There is a small bump on the underside of the hardware which connects the arm to the table. When I am lucky the spring is tight enough that it rides up high very close to the underside of the cabinet's top. Then it is caught and held by the bump by friction. But how to move the arm so that the spring will catch the bump, I have no idea.

lolthom 01-07-2015 11:33 AM

I have found the ads. But no other info. Like who mfg. it. Where to get a manual.. Thanks for trying. Linda

SteveH 01-07-2015 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by lolthom (Post 7037688)
I have found the ads. But no other info. Like who mfg. it. Where to get a manual.. Thanks for trying. Linda

posting a photo here would go a LONG way to us being able to help.

The issue is that when a company set up to make sewing machines, they would typically only use about 50% of the capacity of the facility, so they started a process where they would make the machine, apply MOST of the design decals and then if you ordered X number of machines they would put on it any name you asked. I have seen a photo of 5 different machines with the same "name" on them side by side.

So the "Name" on the machine is not as helpful as you might think. Several folks here have made a study of the particular nuances of the actual manufacturers so that when we see a picture we can say "oh look, it has holes like so, and plates like so, and so it is most likely a such and such manufacturer.

Without the pictures, it is near impossible unless someone here owns one.

Macybaby 01-07-2015 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by lolthom (Post 7037688)

Jon identified the machine in the add as being made by Davis - key things, the needle plate (part that covers the feed dogs) is rectangular, not round or oval. AND the treadle belt goes on the outside of the flywheel, not on the inside (toward the machine).

if yours has those two features, it's more than likely a Davis, if not, then we need pictures to identify it.

jlhmnj 01-07-2015 08:24 PM

The treadle irons would be a 3rd identifier on this particular machine. Many, not all, Davis' used this style irons from the late 00's and into the 20's. The center brace is quite distinctive like a signature. I suspect Davis cast their own bases and the woodwork was made by Theodor Kundtz Co. out of Cleveland, O. which also made the White SMCo cabinet work.

Jon

lolthom 01-08-2015 03:36 PM

thanks, that helps. i don't know how to load pictures.

lolthom 01-08-2015 08:34 PM

macybaby, Thanks so much for your help. it is definitely made by Davis. I found a list of models made by Davis, and New Stockman is on the list. This will give me a starting point. Now I need to get the serial number from my DD. Thanks again. Linda

grant15clone 01-14-2015 07:30 PM

Hi everyone. I was asked a question that I need some help on.
Someone asked me about a Singer 411G (Made in Germany). They want to convert it to be able to use in the USA. It currently has a 220 volt motor in it. He has a power converter for it but he doesn't like it.

My question- Would a motor from a US built 400 series machine fit in his 411G, housing extension and all? Would it be a direct bolt in swap? Also, are the electrical connections compatible?
Thank you in advance,
~Grant~