Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

EdieClay 10-14-2010 11:47 AM

I have a Singer treadle machine that belonged to my aunt. I am using it as a telephone desk ... the belt that goes around the wheel on the bottom and is broken. It never occurred to me that I possibly could still get a new belt. When I get home, I am going to open up the machine and see what I can find out about it. I would LOVE to be able to use the machine because I know my precious aunt used it as long as she was able. She thought it was safer to use than her electric machine. She could control the treadle easier. When I find out more about the machine, I'll post info and maybe you can help me find a belt. THANKS for the inspiration!!!

redpurselady 10-14-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by EdieClay
I have a Singer treadle machine that belonged to my aunt. I am using it as a telephone desk ... the belt that goes around the wheel on the bottom and is broken. It never occurred to me that I possibly could still get a new belt. When I get home, I am going to open up the machine and see what I can find out about it. I would LOVE to be able to use the machine because I know my precious aunt used it as long as she was able. She thought it was safer to use than her electric machine. She could control the treadle easier. When I find out more about the machine, I'll post info and maybe you can help me find a belt. THANKS for the inspiration!!!

OH! - post a picture of your machine - I'm sure she is a beauty!! You can find a belt at any sewing repair shop.

Lostn51 10-14-2010 01:01 PM

Love the two spool machine!!

Billy

Miz Johnny 10-14-2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I bought a Singer coffin top treadle cabinet today, no machine. It was on Craig's list. Here it is if its still there.

http://austin.craigslist.org/atq/1996940603.html

I thought a Featherweight came with it, that's the picture she emailed me. :x
When I got to her house, she brings out a 99k. :shock:
I said to her, "That's NOT the machine you showed me in the picture!"
The cabinet is in very good condition. She wanted $100 for it....I wanted it bad.

So--did you get the treadle?? Does it hold a 99? If so, you have a cabinet that's far more rare than a Featherweight is. You can find a FW easily.
I would love to have a 99 treadle. I have been thinking about "making" one . . . .

BoJangles 10-14-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
My new find, National/Western Electric Two Spool, which I picked up Monday from a person who saved it from going to the dump. . Next day, I made the drive to purchase my Two Spool. He was happy to see someone save the machine, and I now get to happily entertain myself with this beauty.

I also love the Two Spool Machine; but pardon my ignorance - is the 'Two Spool" a name of the machine or does 'Two Spool' mean something?

And, thank you for answering my question about the stitch regulator on the 15-88 treadle. I kept trying to move that stitch regulator to a different stitch to see if my stitiches improved -- nothing changed! Now I see why! It is my treadling and hand movement that has to get better! That's ok, I am enjoying the practice -- treadling is so much fun! The only problem is that my legs get very tired and ache! I thought I was in good shape, but those ladies and guys before me were in much better shape if they sewed much! Tell you what . . . . if everyone spent some time everyday treadling they wouldn't need a treadmill, stationary bike, or any of that stuff!

Nancy

Quilt Mom 10-14-2010 02:25 PM

I was at a fellow quilter's home this afternoon, looking at her quilts. She mentioned her 'treasure', and asked if I would like to see it. Well, hidden in a beautiful parlor cabinet was a Duplex treadle! (She showed me the bobbin and bobbin case; so different! The case was bullet-shaped. I am guessing it is what everyone has called a vibrating shuttle.) It is the machine she learned to sew on - belonged to her grandmother, I believe. It still works. Sorry I can't post pics. I thought it would be rather rude to ask if I could take pictures. Sure was fun to see, though.

quiltergirl80 10-14-2010 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the featherweight my dh brought home to me the other day :0)

vintagemotif 10-14-2010 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Love the two spool machine!!

Billy

Yeah, I do too. I just keep looking over at it in amazement. This should be a fun machine to work with once it is all clean up and working.
It once had a motor, but long gone, which is great for me since I plan to use it in a treadle.

SewExtremeSeams 10-14-2010 04:26 PM

Ewww, I could really go for her majenta FW. One of my favorite colors. Course, I would be hard pressed if I had to pick between that and a cobalt blue one.

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Cabbagepatchkid, I couldn't see the orange FW, already removed,

Nancy

Go to that link and scroll down a little--it's still there but just not at the top of the page.

Bonnie Hunt from Quiltville has a beautiful FW that she recently bought and she calls Hot Rod Magenta.

http://quiltville.com/sewingmachines.shtml

I L-O-V-E that color!!! It reminds me of the Duster's of the late '60's that were painted Moulin Rouge. Billy, what would this paint color be called? I had asked you several months ago about painting a machine this color.

purplefiend 10-14-2010 04:56 PM

Nancy,
I set my stitch length at 0 and drop the feed dogs on the machines that have that capability. I move the quilt sandwich at a reasonable speed. One of my favorite machines for FM quilting is a Singer 237(had a motorectomy). Relax and have fun. Also drawing loops and such on paper with pencil before I start quilting seems
to help too.
Sharon W.