Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

chris_quilts 05-10-2010 08:03 PM

Billy,

Bought an old(er?) Federal e sewing machine today. Will post pics when I get home. It's made in Japan and is blue with a knee foot pedal - not the correct terminology, I know. There was no manual nor any accesories for it with the machine. Paid $25 for it. I don't even remember if it came with a needle. It does run. The shop owner helped me find the serial #, which I don't remember. Would that # help me date it and get info on it? Realize it may be a 70s machine but it had metal gears so that's a plus. It also may be missing the bobbin cover. Sorry for the long post but is info available for these machines? Would accesories also be availalbe?

Charlee 05-10-2010 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict

Charlee,
I saw this on CL and thought of you and Billy. Not sure if that is what you mean by a parlor cabinet. I am looking at another $40 machine so may be going up that way and would be glad to pick it up for you and get to a shipper.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/atq/1731877722.html

That's downright PURDY!! I'm afraid tho, that after I paid for it and then the shipping, that not only would my bank be broken, but so would my punkin head! William isn't about to let me get away with that!
Thank you so much for looking for me!! I'd love to have it if I could justify it...I so need to win the lotto!

genghis khan 05-10-2010 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is something interesting that davis treadle looks awfully similar to my friends R.H. Macy sewing machine.

SewExtremeSeams 05-10-2010 10:30 PM

I have been looking at a Singer with a serial number of 6457911. I looked it up on the Singer Sewing Co./support /serial numbers site. It said 1884. Would that be right?

Also noticed a Peerless which be connected with the White company. Its serial number is 431615. Any idea on the age of this?

wvdek 05-10-2010 10:58 PM

Billy,

I have the 603-A manual. If you think it will help you at all, I would be happy to post it. I also have the catalog showing the different cabinets available for the 603-A that Singer offered to the purchasers. Is anyone interested in that being posted?

Jan, could you please show a complete pic of your cabinet opened and closed? I think it is almost the same as mine on page 6 here.

Charlee 05-11-2010 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I have been looking at a Singer with a serial number of 6457911. I looked it up on the Singer Sewing Co./support /serial numbers site. It said 1884. Would that be right?

Uh-huh!! :)

(don't know about the Peerless)

no1jan 05-11-2010 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Jan, Billy's going to do a wiring tute soon, I'd wait until then and decide...but they can't be that hard to replace! I'm going to replace my foot pedal as soon as I can find another one that's more original to the machine (it's got a white "Made in Japan" pedal now) and I plan to re-do it myself.

Melody, they sold a lot of different cabinet types and styles for these machines. I'm on the lookout now for a treadle in a parlor cabinet...that's in my price range! ;) My sis in law has one, but she's not giving it up! :(

Then I won't touch the wiring until the tute is finished. I would like to be able to say "I did it myself!" I take a lot of pride out of accomplishing new things.

Thank you both Charlee and Billy. You two are such a great source of information!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

wvdek 05-11-2010 09:29 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Boy do I feel silly. I just realized I typed 603-A instead of 503-A for my mom's Singer.

Anyway, I found the brochures/manual if anyone is interested in copies. Let me know.

Lostn51 05-11-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Boy do I feel silly. I just realized I typed 603-A instead of 503-A for my mom's Singer.

Anyway, I found the brochures/manual if anyone is interested in copies. Let me know.

Could you send me a scan of the brochure of the 500?!??!?

Pretty please!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

And that is a lovely machine and cabinet!!!!

Billy

quilt addict 05-11-2010 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by genghis khan
Here is something interesting that davis treadle looks awfully similar to my friends R.H. Macy sewing machine.

It sure does look like the Davis. From what I have read, they made machines and were sold by various stores, mainly Sears. But I am not an expert. Just learning since this store opened.