Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 01-20-2011 05:52 PM

[quote=cabbagepatchkid][quote=BoJangles]

Originally Posted by Lostn51
so. Can a FW be made into a treadle, I wonder?

That was what I was thinking when I read about her damaged FW.

vintagemotif 01-20-2011 05:57 PM

[quote=BoJangles]

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

I won't buy a machine off of e-bay unless I can pick it up. I have seen too many horror stories on this forum.

Nancy

I too will not purchase unless I can pick it up for that very same reason.
Most of the time I don't bother with looking on ebay since better deals are found on CLs, thrift stores, or garage sales.

Sorry to see a beautiful machine damaged so badly.

vintagemotif 01-20-2011 06:03 PM

Thanks Billy for answering that question on the tension mechanism that had fallen out for that one poster. I thought that may be the way it needed to be repaired, but I wasn't about to take mine apart to see how they are held in place. The beauty of these machines are their simplicity and that they are made to last...unless someone drops them.

sew wishful 01-20-2011 06:16 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=Randa][quote=Crossstitcher][quote=BoJangles][quote=vintagemotif]

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I have been sewing with my NVF all afternoon and the reverse doesn't work...more like a sew in place button. LOL! Oh, well. It needed some tension attention, but after a few rows, I got it worked out and it runs great! Even with the old belt! Just needed some oil....a lot of oil!! She was dry!

Randa,
I was thinking about your reverse not working last night while I was cleaning this section of my NVF. Does your machine have a spring attached to the reverse mechanism (inside)? There should be a spring. If not, that could be why yours doesn't go in reverse. I haven't tried mine with fabric yet to see if it reverses, but it looks like it should. I'm still cleaning and oiling the parts.

yes there is a spring in there. I've had to take the plate off and check everything...my feed quit working while sewing the other day and I oiled (again) and it worked for a few more. Then tonight I was sewing with her again and it acted up again....So I took off the plate again and turned the wheel by hand and watched. When it worked it would "click" into place but when not it just stuck and wouldn't move. So like every five or six stitches it would work but then stick again. When I finally saw where it was sticking I gave it a good drink of oil and worked it by hand turing the wheel. It was right where the reverse spring is attached...it was just dry and I thought I had oiled every moving part, but that is so subtle a move I didn't notice it! So I haven't tried the reverse but I'm betting it will work. It runs so quiet now and I finished my quilt squares! Love that machine!!

JaneK 01-20-2011 06:34 PM

Thanks Billy for answering that question on the tension mechanism that had fallen out for that one poster. I thought that may be the way it needed to be repaired, but I wasn't about to take mine apart to see how they are held in place. The beauty of these machines are their simplicity and that they are made to last...unless someone drops them.

Thanks Billy and vintage...I was away from my computer all day( that darn day job, ha!) and just now got online..I will fetch the 201 and see about the screw. I'm so excited to see if this solves my problem, it's really unnerving to have the entire tensioner just drop out!!!As vintagemotif said "eek"! I'm so thankful for all the help I get on this board! I'll keep you posted!
Jane

Cindy Lou Who 01-20-2011 06:51 PM

[quote=vintagemotif]

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

I won't buy a machine off of e-bay unless I can pick it up. I have seen too many horror stories on this forum.

Nancy

I too will not purchase unless I can pick it up for that very same reason.
Most of the time I don't bother with looking on ebay since better deals are found on CLs, thrift stores, or garage sales.

Sorry to see a beautiful machine damaged so badly.

What a terrible experience and I know she had to have been sooooo disappointed! I was fortunate to have purchased a FW and a 301 within the last 6 months from eBay and both arrived in perfect condition. I did check the ratings of the sellers and also asked additional questions about their packaging and shipping methods before buying. So there are good experiences out there but the bad ones are the ones we always hear about. Checking buyers feedback and satisfaction, and the seller's experience with sewing machines is key I think!

amBoo 01-20-2011 07:01 PM

Hi -

Could anyone tell me what the original price of a Bernina 830 was in the mid '70s?

Thanks!

Nancy

Pins n' Ndls 01-20-2011 07:07 PM

MizJohnny...I hope you were not seriously hurt ! Please let us know how you are doing.

vintagemotif 01-20-2011 07:14 PM

[quote=Randa][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Randa][quote=Crossstitcher][quote=BoJangles][quote=vintagemotif]

yes there is a spring in there. I've had to take the plate off and check everything...my feed quit working while sewing the other day and I oiled (again) and it worked for a few more. Then tonight I was sewing with her again and it acted up again....So I took off the plate again and turned the wheel by hand and watched. When it worked it would "click" into place but when not it just stuck and wouldn't move. So like every five or six stitches it would work but then stick again. When I finally saw where it was sticking I gave it a good drink of oil and worked it by hand turing the wheel. It was right where the reverse spring is attached...it was just dry and I thought I had oiled every moving part, but that is so subtle a move I didn't notice it! So I haven't tried the reverse but I'm betting it will work. It runs so quiet now and I finished my quilt squares! Love that machine!!

I was cleaning behind the face plate the other night when my husband came by to take a peek and compare the difference from my other machines. He was amazed at all the parts and how they interact inside this machine (interesting mechanics). Well while I was cleaning it with a Q-tip, a little pin dropped from a spot inside the machine. I was like oh, no. I started looking around and then it dawned on me that it was the tension pin. Somehow it had fallen out at one of the times I had taken the face plate off and was loose inside this area. This also explains why the lever for the foot would get stuck sometimes. The pin was impeding the lever from moving. I noticed that the lever for the foot hits another lever that is attached to the face plate. This lever on the face plate extends to the pin/tension area inside the machine which then keeps the pin from falling out. Once the face plate is off the pin can fall out when the machine is tilted (at least mine does that). Now that I know that I will remember not to turn the machine on its side when the face plate is off. And if I do, I will keep an eye out for the pin. Penni is starting to look very pretty! I plan to work on the cabinet this weekend.

pennijanine 01-20-2011 07:26 PM

I am anxiously waiting for a cleaned up pic!! I bet she will SHINE.