Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 01-11-2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy I like your new Avator, although I wish it was the whole treadle not just the emblem!

Nancy

That is the treadle I restored for Lauren here on the board. I also did a repaint on the 66 that sits in it and she is getting the cabinet restored right now as we speak. I can not wait to see it all together and if I remember the story right the machine belonged to her Grandmother.

Billy

whenpigsfly 01-11-2011 08:27 PM

A treadle question. I read the following on www.treadleon.net:

"... putting a Brand A machine into a Brand B treadle...In concept, it isn't too difficult. You have to either change the shape of the cutout slightly and change the location of the hinge pins, or perhaps remove the top board the cutout is in and make a new one with a cutout for the new machine. However, with a little ingenuity and woodworking skill, it can be done."

So my question is: am I understanding correctly that one can put ANY brand of machine in ANY treadle - even putting a 3/4 size machine in a full-sized treadle -- by using those methods? Anyone have experience doing that?

Miz Johnny 01-11-2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
. . .
And guess what...I took this machine out of the cabinet and brought it into bright light. Some kind of cleaner(?) or heat was used on the machine....the "glaze" has run and it's all bumpy, and looks like the shine is off the top and partially off the "body" of the machine (the right hand part that holds the bobbin winder) and the flat part of the machine is loaded with the shiny bumpy blistery looking glaze. Looks like it got overheated.

Thank you for the info, BoJangles!!

I have never seen a Davis with a good finish left on it. It's often bumpy like that--I have no idea why! My machine has very little finish left at all. I don't really care--it sews so well it doesn't have to be pretty.

Miz Johnny 01-11-2011 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Cathy,
Bill said they were waterslide decals.
Sharon W.

So pretty! They look like someone Tole painted them on.[/quote]

I do have one machine that has tole painted roses. You either love it or hate it. The purists hate it; and the non-collectors love it.

vintagemotif 01-11-2011 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
A treadle question. I read the following on www.treadleon.net:

"... putting a Brand A machine into a Brand B treadle...In concept, it isn't too difficult. You have to either change the shape of the cutout slightly and change the location of the hinge pins, or perhaps remove the top board the cutout is in and make a new one with a cutout for the new machine. However, with a little ingenuity and woodworking skill, it can be done."

So my question is: am I understanding correctly that one can put ANY brand of machine in ANY treadle - even putting a 3/4 size machine in a full-sized treadle -- by using those methods? Anyone have experience doing that?

That is what Billy has done. He has a picture on this thread of his table that holds different machine heads. My husband modified a Singer straight leg treadle to hold my National Two Spools. One pin is in the old Singer slot and the other pin he did something to it for it to stay in place( I'm afraid to look). Here is a photo of the setup. The machine doesn't know the treadle and the treadle doesn't know the machine. Just need a surface cutout that machine head can rest on for both to work together.

vintagemotif 01-11-2011 08:57 PM

Billy, I like your new avatar! You did a beautiful job on that treadle.

whenpigsfly 01-11-2011 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
That is what Billy has done. He has a picture on this thread of his table that holds different machine heads. My husband modified a Singer straight leg treadle to hold my National Two Spools. One pin is in the old Singer slot and the other pin he did something to it for it to stay in place( I'm afraid to look). Here is a photo of the setup. The machine doesn't know the treadle and the treadle doesn't know the machine. Just need a surface cutout that machine head can rest on for both to work together.

Of course! I SHOULD have remembered seeing that picture of Billy's studio! Thanks, vintagemotif!
PS: lucky you to have a husband who'll do all those Honey-do chores for your collection! My husband has ZERO interest in doing woodwork OR cleaning old machines!

vintagemotif 01-11-2011 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly

Of course! I SHOULD have remembered seeing that picture of Billy's studio! Thanks, vintagemotif!
PS: lucky you to have a husband who'll do all those Honey-do chores for your collection! My husband has ZERO interest in doing woodwork OR cleaning old machines!

I'm happy that my husband enjoys projects like this one and woodworking, but he will not clean the machines. That is my job, which I love to do!

vintagemotif 01-11-2011 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone own or know anything about the White Sewing Machine Co Featherweights? I found a White portable on CLs; wondering if it is the White Featherweight.

"The White Featherweight
Moreover, it was in the 1930s that they introduced something completely different into the market. Known as the Featherweight, this antique White sewing machine was everything you could not expect from any other sewing equipment at that time.

Just when everybody had gone ebony for color, White adopted the use of magnesium alloy. On the other hand, they contained a sewing light, which basically guided sewers in more delicate projects or when they're going to use the machine during late nights.

Most of all, the Featherweight antique White sewing machine was very lightweight-it only weighed less than 20 pounds."

http://www.sewingmachinereviewer.com...-machines.html

Does this mean that the White Co. came up with the first featherweights?
Here is the White portable. Is this the White Featherweight?
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/for/2148282953.html

vintagemotif 01-11-2011 10:29 PM

And does anyone own a Singer crinkle FW?
http://home.roadrunner.com/~featherweight/crinkle.htm

I wondering if this was to look like the White's finish.