Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 03-27-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I just carried the 29 pound 128 across the LR now my neck hurts.

Miss No name Leader is in the house. My weight lifter grandson wrapped his arms around the cabinet and carried her in easily. She is very dirty as is the 128. I have my work curt out for me when the weather breaks. She is a cutie. I copied the book so I'm not trashing it as I learn what I need to know. The seller has Singer attachments in with the Leader, so I have a ruffler for both machines. Woohoo! Here we go:

Wow, I love the Leader! It looks like the 3/4 size machines they made in the 20's! For some reason, the 3/4 size machines were very popular at that time. What a pretty machine, and it is in great shape! It is the same size as my T No 3 machine, but in better shape. You did good!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-27-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Hubby used a small suitcase key and it unlocked the lid on my cabinet. Question on my 99 please. I do not have a manuel and could not get it to print out on the Singer site. Do I thread the needle left to right? There is a small hole in the take up leaver. Do I thread the thread through that? Kathie S.

Kathie, yes you thread through the hole in the take up lever and most 99's thread left to right.

Kathie, I just sent you a copy of the 99 manual. It is 75 pages long so when you open it - it might take a minute. Just scroll down - the first page is blank!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-27-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

And did you know about the site, Tools for Self-Reliance? They have complete, detailed instruction how to refurbish the 66s, 99s, 15Ks and 201s... just those four machines but very great instruction on each of those:
http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

You have to open up a lot of pdf.s to see it all. It's designed to be printed out and kept in a notebook, for working on sewing machine reconditions.

Sewbizgirl, what a great site. Thank you for the information!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-27-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose

And the Singer 128 is a small machine. I think my girls had a toy machine that was about the size of this one. Kitsone, you're right. No Name does make me smile. Mamie? I'll feel better when she's clean and the wiring checks out. 1952 wiring is scary.

No Name reminds me of the movie Paint Your Wagon! My Mom and Dad loved that movie! Wasn't the town named No Name?

Nancy

BoJangles 03-27-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Very nice looking National--I love the cabinet. Try a regular needle, moving it down just a smidge in the holder.

Miz Johnny is it the Leader that you think is a National? According to the White records, the Leader was a Mason machine made by White? It is so hard to tell, I have the New Home T No 3 that also looks like that Leader - pictured on page 665? Well, whoever made the Leader, it is really cute for sure!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-27-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
Excellent purchases! You are going to be so happy once you get these cleaned up. A bit of sewing oil on the irons (and cleaning out all those years of thread caught between the wheel and spindle) will do wonders.

Enter phase II. :-D

Redbugsullivan, why don't we get to see the top of the rider?
Nice looking horse and half a rider!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-27-2011 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by qltndog
Thanks again, Billy. I have goop hand cleaner, but can't find GoJo cleaner. Anyone in Calfornia know what stores carry it?
I checked out wal mart and Lowes-no luck.

Goop works just fine as long as you are using non-pumice Goop! Actually, I remember seeing Goop in one of Billy's tutorials!

Nancy

luv2learn 03-27-2011 07:09 PM

Sewbizgirl,

Thank you for the "Tools for Self Reliance" site you just posted. . . herein I believe will be the answer I asked for help on last night. . . I have a lot of reading to do and things to adjust and I'm hopeful of a resolution to my stitching problem on my Redeye.

chergram 03-28-2011 04:45 AM

hello this may be off the subject I am new here really do not know how to post message so just do reply I am still looking for a singer feather weight machine i think it is 221 I need one that does not weigh a ton been watching on ebay they have but way out of my price range I want it for my quilting not just to collect so would need one that sews though i had found one on ebay but wwhen i read the buyers statement she said it did not sew should have guessed at the price she was asking any way glad i found this group Evelyn

cabbagepatchkid 03-28-2011 04:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chergram
hello this may be off the subject I am new here really do not know how to post message so just do reply I am still looking for a singer feather weight machine i think it is 221 I need one that does not weigh a ton been watching on ebay they have but way out of my price range I want it for my quilting not just to collect so would need one that sews though i had found one on ebay but wwhen i read the buyers statement she said it did not sew should have guessed at the price she was asking any way glad i found this group Evelyn

Hi Evelyn and welcome! I have found some good deals on my local Craigslist. Another thing that you could think about is to think beyond a Featherweight. Singer 301 is the bigger sister to the FW but is still light enough to carry around plus it has a nice carrying handle on top. I like them so much that I now have 7 :shock: of them. A bonus is that they come in 3 different colors....black, mocha and two tone beige.

My favorite 301--Two Tone (LBOW)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]176344[/ATTACH]

Black 301
[ATTACH=CONFIG]176347[/ATTACH]

Mocha 301--long bed....can't put in a cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]176348[/ATTACH]