Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 01-30-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
You all remember the major problems a plastic bobbin caused with my fancy/very expensive Pfaff embroidery machine? I still have not gotten that machine fixed as it is going to cost me over $500 to fix what that plastic bobbin caused.

Nancy

My Pfaff embroidery machine came with only plastic bobbins.

Yes, so did mine, but I bought a bunch of bobbins that were suppose to be for my machine at a local sewing machine/fabric store. These bobbins did not say Pfaff on them, which meant nothing to me at the time as I believed this shop when they said they were Pfaff bobbins. One of them ruined my bobbin case/hook race thingy. I threw out every bobbin I have for the Pfaff that does not say Pfaff on the bobbin! We have all learned the hard way that bobbins do count! Until I decide to spend the $500+ to get this machine fixed, I will not have an embroidery machine. It won't even sew a regular stitch now.

Nancy

sew wishful 01-30-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Randa

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Randa, I have been playing with my Davis NVF and my reserve doesn't work either. I press the button and the foot goes back one stitch and then stops and sews in place. I have better luck making the treadle sew backwards which makes the foot move backwards then when I use the reverse button.

And what is that top lever for above the lever for the foot?
I only have the older manual that I found online.

This lever is called the"high lift for sewing extremely heavy goods or to sew over heavy seams."
What is the "older manual"?
Interested in a copy of my original one...remember mine is a 1914 model.

This is the only one I have been able to find online.
http://www.ismacs.net/davis/manuals.html

Did you ever get your machine to run backwards?

I'm making a print of the manual you have...it's a bit different. Do you want a copy of mine? Mine doesn't say New High Arm.
Have you taken your front plate off? I had a hard time getting mine back together with that upper "extremely heavy material" lift. (I'll bet this is what the "New High Arm" is, do you think??) But it does need cleaned and oiled good.
If you want a copy of my manual, let me know by PMing me your address.
I tried the reverse button again and what it does is stitch in place, so it locks the stitches. My manual says it should reverse. I don't care. I love this machine and it sews seeewwww good!! LOL!

BoJangles 01-30-2011 03:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Find yourself a vintage bobbin, but also make sure you have the correct one for the 66.

How do can I tell if it is a vinyage bobbin and the correct one? Kathie

Kathie a vintage class 66 bobbin has 3 larger holes and 1 small hole on each side. Here are a couple pictures of the class 66 bobbin.

Nancy

Class 66 bobbin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116428[/ATTACH]

class 66 bobbin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116429[/ATTACH]

class 66 bobbin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116430[/ATTACH]

Kathie S. 01-30-2011 03:14 PM

Thank you, Nancy. That is what my new bobbins that I just bought look like. Kathie

vintagemotif 01-30-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Randa

I'm making a print of the manual you have...it's a bit different. Do you want a copy of mine? Mine doesn't say New High Arm.
Have you taken your front plate off? I had a hard time getting mine back together with that upper "extremely heavy material" lift. (I'll bet this is what the "New High Arm" is, do you think??) But it does need cleaned and oiled good.
If you want a copy of my manual, let me know by PMing me your address.
I tried the reverse button again and what it does is stitch in place, so it locks the stitches. My manual says it should reverse.

I found a copy of the manual at the Yahoo Davis group. Yes, it states that the reverse locks the stitches in place. I saw a video of someone using the Davis NVF and they showed that the machine goes in reverse. I'm not too concern about mine not going backwards. What I do like is that it locks the stitch. I'm set now!

vintagemotif 01-30-2011 03:23 PM

Thank you, Nancy. That is what my new bobbins that I just bought look like. Kathie

Your new bobbins may not sit right in the bobbin area, too high. Also, if you roll them they may roll unevenly. Looking at them from the side you will notice that they may be askew or crooked. And sometimes the centers aren't connected to the sides; so the part that the thread winds around will rotate around separate from the sides, which means it will not work.

featherweight 01-30-2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by featherweight
You all remember the major problems a plastic bobbin caused with my fancy/very expensive Pfaff embroidery machine? I still have not gotten that machine fixed as it is going to cost me over $500 to fix what that plastic bobbin caused.

Nancy

My Pfaff embroidery machine came with only plastic bobbins.

Yes, so did mine, but I bought a bunch of bobbins that were suppose to be for my machine at a local sewing machine/fabric store. These bobbins did not say Pfaff on them, which meant nothing to me at the time as I believed this shop when they said they were Pfaff bobbins. One of them ruined my bobbin case/hook race thingy. I threw out every bobbin I have for the Pfaff that does not say Pfaff on the bobbin! We have all learned the hard way that bobbins do count! Until I decide to spend the $500+ to get this machine fixed, I will not have an embroidery machine. It won't even sew a regular stitch now.

Nancy

I think some of mine do not say Pfaff, I will have to double check them. Don't want to have a problem with my favorite quilting machine.

vintagemotif 01-30-2011 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Find yourself a vintage bobbin, but also make sure you have the correct one for the 66.

How do can I tell if it is a vinyage bobbin and the correct one? Kathie

Kathie a vintage class 66 bobbin has 3 larger holes and 1 small hole on each side. Here are a couple pictures of the class 66 bobbin.

Nancy

Here are two that work in my machine. Slightly different, but still have the curved sides.

bobbin 66
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118564[/ATTACH]

irishrose 01-30-2011 03:45 PM

$595 for a Singer walking foot!!!!! I was on April 1930s site to get a SITD foot for my 301. There was demo for a vintage walking foot. I'm glad I didn't want a 'black penquin'.

They didn't have a rubber replacement wheel for the bobbin filler on my machine listed. I'll call tomorrow. If they don't have one, where do I look next? Mine is very dry and is going to crumble.

vintagemotif 01-30-2011 03:53 PM

Thank you Sharon, Purplefiend, for mentioning the dental floss! My 201 no longer clanks. My husband said I should do that with all my treadle belts.:)