Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

sewbizgirl 01-31-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
The Singer 99 sews a fine stitch as do the majority of the old Singer straight stitchers. I have a nice one that will soon be powered by hand crank for my grand daughters. I bought my 99K at the local antique consignment store for $75 haggled down from $110 as there was no footpedal or cords, its in very good condition. It came with a 220 volt singer motor, it came off as soon as I got it home. I tried the hand crank from my Singer 201k & it works perfectly. I'm quite sure that it was originally a hand cranked machine as the case top fits perfectly with the hand crank still attached to the machine.
Sharon W.

That is lovely!

ewecansew 01-31-2011 09:10 AM

In my last post, I mentioned the Lotus. It was a Elna Lotus that went for over $600. ----they are going for way over what a Singer FW 221 would (should) sell for.

vintagemotif 01-31-2011 09:25 AM

The Singer 99 sews a fine stitch as do the majority of the old Singer straight stitchers. I have a nice one that will soon be powered by hand crank for my grand daughters. I bought my 99K at the local antique consignment store for $75 haggled down from $110 as there was no footpedal or cords, its in very good condition. It came with a 220 volt singer motor, it came off as soon as I got it home. I tried the hand crank from my Singer 201k & it works perfectly. I'm quite sure that it was originally a hand cranked machine as the case top fits perfectly with the hand crank still attached to the machine.
Sharon W.

Sharon, Pretty machine! I'm not surprised that the motor came off as soon as you got it home. I also like your ironing board fabric.

vintagemotif 01-31-2011 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
In my last post, I mentioned the Lotus. It was a Elna Lotus that went for over $600. ----they are going for way over what a Singer FW 221 would (should) sell for.

They are cute, little, modern machines compared to the FWs. I can see why some would want them. The RETRO to take to class. One week it could be the classic look (FW) and another week the retro look (Lotus), or match a machine to the fabrics theme. :lol:

sewbizgirl 01-31-2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
They are cute, little, modern machines compared to the FWs. I can see why some would want them. The RETRO to take to class. One week it could be the classic look (FW) and another week the retro look (Lotus), or match a machine to the fabrics theme. :lol:

We are pretty spoiled, aren't we? LOL...

luv2learn 01-31-2011 10:38 AM

Sorry double post. . . .

luv2learn 01-31-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Good evening everyone. I will be trying some of your ideas for removing rust on all of these parts I got today for 2.00. I don't know what machines they go on but I can practice cleaning on them. Also a photo of the 501a that I got today for $10. It runs, but haven't tried it with thread in it yet. I figured it would be good to use for Billy's tutorial on whatever he's going to do using a 501a. (The attachment box says part for a 403, but the manual says 500 series) It has quite a bit of chips on the paint and really needs a good cleaning, and needs a new faceplate, since the current one is broken out at the top pin.

Also a photo of an old Free Westinghouse that I saw today, it's in a cabinet with what I think you call a potted motor. It was very, very stiff, but the wheel did turn and the needle bar went up and down. The screw was off of the stitch regulator, but was in the drawer . . .I couldn't get it on. It is EXTREMELY dirty and was not plugged in. It is in a VERY rough cabinet. Serial # is ARE 62947. She has it priced at $30. Not very pretty but am interested in any info anyone may have about it. The Sewing Machine Search Train leaves early tomorrow morning. Have a good weekend! luv2learn

BILLY. . .

Do you have and what would it cost for the following parts for the Rocketeer. . . .general purpose foot, face plate, spool pin that goes on top. Also what tutorial are you going to do using the Rocketeer and when will that be?

Can you give me any info and your opinion on the Free Westing house machine in photo on page 603, would I be able to get that knob back onto the stitch regulator? Thanx luv2learn

MarieM 01-31-2011 11:21 AM

Sharon W.

Purplefiend, where did you find your plastic seam allowance guide? I have a 66 that I think would work well on.
Marie M.

Honchey 01-31-2011 11:24 AM

[quote=MarieM]

Sharon W.

Purplefiend, where did you find your plastic seam allowance guide? I have a 66 that I think would work well on.
Marie M.[/quote

Hi All, I haven't been on this thread for awhile and would also like to know where the green guide came from also. Anne

Miz Johnny 01-31-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
And for the person who said "Buy your neighbor's house", I have a friend who has done just that. AND she has them stacked 2-3 high in the basement!!!!!!!

You are not talking about Cindy P. are you??[/quote]

No, but Cindy used to have a commercial property with big trailers to store her machines!!