Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Glenn 02-01-2011 04:26 PM

My attachments are for my 66-1 and they are hard to find. I was lucky and some great boardmembers found mine for me and I am grateful. Glenn

Miz Johnny 02-01-2011 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ann L
. . . I guess maybe I will have to sell the 301 and look for an ELNA. Are they as hard to find at the FW?

Far less common than FW. I can find a FW on any street corner ("Hi, Sailor"), but they can be found at a good price if you're patient. Elnas are sweet machines.

Glenn 02-01-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Originally Posted by Glenn
I like your lotus, I have a brown one made in Prussia in 1908. Picked up on the street in Germany in in 1978 on trash day. I use mine nearly everyday. Glenn

WOW! Mine was made in 1908, too, but in America. It has the old back clamping attachments, but I don't care. I will probably only ever straight st. with it, anyway. It's got a ton of attachments but they look like Greek to me!

;)

I own two brown lotus, both have the back clamp. One is a 1907 from New Jersey, and the other 1914 from Kilbowie Scotland. Both make beautiful stitches. I did the piecing of a pin-wheel baby quilt for my niece with the 1907 machine.

The back clamp mdl is the 66-1 and yes they are great machines. I also have a redeye 66-1. These are my favorite machines to use. Glenn The lotus is my favorite decals

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 04:43 PM

I like your lotus, I have a brown one made in Prussia in 1908. Picked up on the street in Germany in in 1978 on trash day. I use mine nearly everyday. Glenn

WOW! Mine was made in 1908, too, but in America. It has the old back clamping attachments, but I don't care. I will probably only ever straight st. with it, anyway. It's got a ton of attachments but they look like Greek to me!

;)

I own two brown lotus, both have the back clamp. One is a 1907 from New Jersey, and the other 1914 from Kilbowie Scotland. Both make beautiful stitches. I did the piecing of a pin-wheel baby quilt for my niece with the 1907 machine.

The back clamp mdl is the 66-1 and yes they are great machines. I also have a redeye 66-1. These are my favorite machines to use. Glenn The lotus is my favorite decals

Try to find a cheap 201 that you can use in your treadle. You will instantly fall in love. Sew quiet and smooth. Equally beautiful stitches.

Kathie S. 02-01-2011 04:43 PM

I have been reading about all your cleaning of your old machines and I got to thinking that maybe mine could be cleaner that what they are. Hubby has some Phase 1 body shop Material non Silicone Machine Glaze. I tried it on my newest machine that looked very clean. I was amazed at the dirt that came off that I did not know it was there. I tried it on my good treadle and started to get scared because it started to become gummy I stopped. I wiped off the cleaner and boy did it shine. Kathie

Glenn 02-01-2011 04:54 PM

;)

Try to find a cheap 201 that you can use in your treadle. You will instantly fall in love. Sew quiet and smooth. Equally beautiful stitches.

Vintagemotif, I have heard good things about the 201. I will take your advice and look for one. If I do not get off this baord I want have time to use one or finish my quilts. :lol: Glenn

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I have been reading about all your cleaning of your old machines and I got to thinking that maybe mine could be cleaner that what they are. Hubby has some Phase 1 body shop Material non Silicone Machine Glaze. I tried it on my newest machine that looked very clean. I was amazed at the dirt that came off that I did not know it was there. I tried it on my good treadle and started to get scared because it started to become gummy I stopped. I wiped off the cleaner and boy did it shine. Kathie

No two machines are alike. So test, test, and test. Test the decals in a very small area. And even that area may work while another area of the machine may not. Billy's tutorial is great for cleaning up the Singers and newer vintage machines, but some others you must be careful. My National and Davis machines have the shellac bed damaged. Those machines didn't do well with the GoJo. I had to clean around the decals on those machines. I found that the Singer sewing oil did not harm the decals and cleaned off some of the built up dirt.

Miz Johnny 02-01-2011 04:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by QuiltDraggon
A question for you guys. A friend bought a treadle machine at an auction because he liked the way it looked. We were talking about it and I went to look at it. He said he would sell it to me for $120 which is what he paid. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer. It is in a very nice cabinet with a coffin top. There are no hinges(?) on one side and no key for the lock on the other side. Can these items be located? The cabinet is in great shape but the machine is a bit rough. The machine appears to run just fine. You push the treadle and it runs smooth. The decals on the other hand are basically gone. It appears that the middle decal on the base has been removed completely. You can see the outline of what it was but not one speck is remaining. There really isn't rust anywhere on the machine. I looked up the number on it and it appears to have been made in 1890. I'm attaching a couple of terrible pictures and the last one is NOT the machine but a picture I found that looks just like it. I'm not really looking at this to sew on but just wonder if it is worth the price.

Just my 2 cents worth here--I love the looks of the fiddlebed machines, and the VS 2 in particular. I wound up buying the beautiful cabinet I wanted with a not-so-good machine, and then buying a second one for the beautiful machine. I promptly sold the 2nd cabinet, and will sell the other machine when I get around to it.
I don't know anything about your area, but $120 doesn't sound like too much for a nice VS 2 cabinet. As for keys and hinges (the VS 2 hinges are different than more modern ones), they are available, but you might have to wait a while to find them. In the meantime, the machine will sit on the cabinet without them.

Like I said, just my 2 cents worth, but would do it all over again. Here is head I kept:

and put into this cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]130938[/ATTACH]

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 04:59 PM

[quote=Glenn][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Glenn][quote=vintagemotif][quote=sewbizgirl]

Vintagemotif, I have heard good things about the 201. I will take your advice and look for one. If I do not get off this baord I want have time to use one or finish my quilts. :lol: Glenn

I'm working on basting, but now taking a break. I made a mistake on layering. I basted a section and then unrolled to work the next section only to realize that I had the top off from the bottom. Ripped that section out and now I'm starting over. I'm trying Sharon Schamber's method of basting, a first for me.

Glenn 02-01-2011 04:59 PM

That is a very nice parlor cabinet. I am trying to find one in my area. Glenn