Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-machine-photos-t130994.html)

leatheflea 09-12-2013 12:34 PM

Well I've taken the machine out of the cabinet and have been cleaning with SMO. I uncovered one decal that wasn't visible before. Letting it soak for now. Another question how do I get all the rust off the handwheel, is it supposed to be shiny?

SteveH 09-12-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 6289722)
.. Another question how do I get all the rust off the handwheel, is it supposed to be shiny?

yes it is.

0000 Steel wool is my weapon of choice in that fight...

grant15clone 09-12-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 6289722)
Well I've taken the machine out of the cabinet and have been cleaning with SMO. I uncovered one decal that wasn't visible before. Letting it soak for now. Another question how do I get all the rust off the handwheel, is it supposed to be shiny?

The safest way is with Wadding Polish. It takes a lot of elbow grease and time though. It is what I would recommend on all of the plated parts. You can get it at an Auto Parts store. P.S. It is Nickel plated, not chrome plated.
~G~

miriam 09-12-2013 04:25 PM

What if the plating is wearing off?

leatheflea 09-12-2013 04:56 PM

My husband wants to know if toothpaste would work to polish the metal parts? I've silver polish, is that the same as wadding polish?

miriam 09-12-2013 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 6290177)
My husband wants to know if toothpaste would work to polish the metal parts? I've silver polish, is that the same as wadding polish?

I've used it some times it works some times it doesn't - I think it depends on what is on it - it works good for silverware if it has the baking soda in it.

SteveH 09-13-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6290133)

IMO you would need to decide what you want as a result. (in no particular order)

1. Strip and replate
2. Hand polish until they "blend"
3. Strip plating and polish the metal directly
4. Clean the rust off and clearcoat to preserve as is.

For me, toothpaste (white paste type) is a preferred cleaner/polisher for metal

mlmack 09-13-2013 10:02 AM

"Wadding Polish" is probably the same thing as Nevr-Dull.

I use MAAS for polishing metal pieces. I have used it for years on chrome, and nickel plated DE safety razors, and have never had any issues with it marring the finish.

manicmike 09-13-2013 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6290133)

Electroplaters can put it back. They usually have a minimum job value, so do as many as you can at the same time.

miriam 09-13-2013 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6292065)
Electroplaters can put it back. They usually have a minimum job value, so do as many as you can at the same time.

How much money are you thinking?