Problem with threading

Old 05-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Question Problem with threading

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm leading a 4-H sewing group whose members are making pj Pants. Two of the machines don't seem to be threaded properly as the tension either can't be adjusted or seems not to be holding. These machines were donated for our use and I'm used to many different brands but these two have me stumped.
This Singer 774 almost seems like it should be threaded from the left of the tension discs. I think I have the needle position and stitch set properly but the stitches seem wobbly too.
I've attached pictures so you can hopefully see what I mean. The other is a Kenmore and it just seems to get awfully tight - but I didn't get pictures or model number.
We really could use these two machines working properly. We seem to have some kids who really enjoy sewing - this is their first project.
Attached Thumbnails singer.jpg   singer-2.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 PM

The disc on the top of the machine is only to be used for winding bobbins. So take the thread out of there.
I think I remember the thread goes from the spool to the tension, or there is a little thread guide at the back of the machine even with the tension assembly. Remember to make sure the pressure foot is up for threading.
Stitch should be better. I think you may have the tension a bit loose. Should be around 4-5.
If you go to the ISMAC website you should be able to to find a threading diagram.
Good luck.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 PM

Look on www.singerco.com for the free manual for your 774. It has a detailed threading diagram that should clear up your problem.

Pat
Old 05-16-2014, 02:13 PM

If you open the front face plate, you will probably find a threading chart.

I have a Singer Golden touch and Sew, Model 750 that I bought new circa 1970. About 5 years ago, I had to have all the plastic parts inside replaced. Plastic does a funny thing when it "rots". It starts coming apart and if there are cogs involved, the ends just start coming off. Since a 774 should be a newer machine than my 750, maybe you don't have any of this type wear. And, yes, my machine was well used for many years. So, threading it properly may not solve all your problems. I could sew a straight seam when mine started coming apart, but it wouldn't zigzag. It has the most beautiful balanced stitch of the 4 machines that I own, although I tend to use my Big Brother because of the thread cutter and auto threading function.

Edited to add: Found your manual
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...84_774-734.pdf

I downloaded a pdf for mine as well. I still have my original manual but decided a virtual one would be good.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 05-16-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Definitely download the manual. Touch & Sews are good machines but they aren't the most intuitive or beginner friendly machines out there. In my opinion a copy of the manual is a must for those machines.
The groove in the needle should face the front.
Be careful to make sure the two piece bobbins are screwed together tightly, loose ones can cause jams. I learned this the hard way. Also don't overfill the bobbins for the same reason.

The plastic gears are a known issue with them-actually any plastic geared machine can have this problem. There are new gear sets available but if you have to pay someone the cost can outweigh the benefit of getting a machine repaired.

Kudos to you for teaching a 4H group.
Rodney
Old 05-17-2014, 03:05 AM

Thanks so much!
I'd always wanted a Touch & Sew - it was the first zigzag machine I'd ever used - but didn't realize this was one. Now to see if we can get it permanently donated to the sewing program.
Now I need to get pictures of the Kenmore beast.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 AM

SuzzyQ,

This is not a Touch n Sew. This machine is in the Stylist series. Basically the same as a 700 series TnS, but with a conventional drop in bobbin. Note the bobbin winder on the top of the machine. All TnS series have a wind-in place bobbin. This one will not have the bobbin problems that a TnS cangive.

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
Thanks so much!
I'd always wanted a Touch & Sew - it was the first zigzag machine I'd ever used - but didn't realize this was one. Now to see if we can get it permanently donated to the sewing program.
Now I need to get pictures of the Kenmore beast.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Oops, my mistake for assuming it was a Touch & Sew.
That should make it a little friendlier to use though.
Rodney