Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quest-Beyond a "Straight Stitch" Treadle

Blog Entries

Quest-Beyond a "Straight Stitch" Treadle

If you were to select the best machine that would fit into a Singer treadle and sew more than a straight stitch, what would it be? Why would you choose it?

I've found a collector that is willing to keep an eye out for specific machine heads. I love to treadle but space warrants keeping only one treadle available at a time. Straight stitching is grand but I need more!!! Suggestions and opinions please!
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

I'd put my Alden SUZ-2 ZZ with 60+ patterns built in in a treadle.

Beautiful straight stitches and all the fancy stuff you might need.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Go for one of the 4XX G or K models... most of them can be treadled.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

You could post this question on the main Vintage Sewing machine thread. There are quite a few regulars there who treadle multi stitch machines .

Blog Entries
    Candace, the reason I didn't post there was simple. I didn't want to be a "thread hog" as my husband puts it! This way, I figure the folks that want to offer suggestions will and those with other interests won't have to read through my posts.

Joe, I'd put your Alden in a treadle too!!! Wow!! That is amazing! Who made it? I'm not married to Singers. Variety is the spice of life.
    Annette

I don't know who made it. It's a Japanese machine. I've been unable to find an owners manual for it, or even any mention of the Alden name. Adler is as close as I can get.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Go for one of the 4XX G or K models... most of them can be treadled.
    What models are these?

Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
    Candace, the reason I didn't post there was simple. I didn't want to be a "thread hog" as my husband puts it! .

I love your signature.
    ""Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.""

WOW!!! Those are beautiful stitches.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Blog Entries
    Candace, the reason I didn't post there was simple. I didn't want to be a "thread hog" as my husband puts it! This way, I figure the folks that want to offer suggestions will and those with other interests won't have to read through my posts.
    WOW! So that thread has "thread hogs" on it...and that is why you do not wish to post.

Well, I must be one of those "thread hogs" since I post lots on that thread that Candace was referring to for you to post this question.

Redbugsullivan, Enjoy your hunt!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Well, I must be one of those "thread hogs" since I post lots on that thread that Candace was referring to for you to post this question.
    Ack! I didn't mean to offend!! My DH is on a lot of forums and he regularly gets disgusted at folks that have their own agenda on the thread of someone else. Please do not take offense!

I know that thread well and love reading posts. I also know that most folks are not treadle lovers. So far, I'm still learning...
    Annette

Maybe I'm butting in on your thread, but I just wanted you to know I appreciate it. Count me in as a treadle lover. I didn't know anything else could be treadled. What 4xxx do you recommend and how hard is it to switch them over? We need more details!
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    Maybe I'm butting in on your thread, but I just wanted you to know I appreciate it. Count me in as a treadle lover. I didn't know anything else could be treadled. What 4xxx do you recommend and how hard is it to switch them over? We need more details!
    Agreed! We need more info Charlee.
    Annette

Blog Entries
    Ack! I didn't mean to offend!! My DH is on a lot of forums and he regularly gets disgusted at folks that have their own agenda on the thread of someone else. Please do not take offense!

I know that thread well and love reading posts. I also know that most folks are not treadle lovers. So far, I'm still learning...
    That thread is open to all vintage machine lovers; be it a machine in treadle or e-machine. Sometimes it is difficult to read the intent of the post on the internet. So words can be taken many ways. Your question would have worked on that thread too since anything almost goes on that thread, from gardening to food along side vintage machines.
    Last edited by vintagemotif; 07-06-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    So, I own numerous machines that produce more than a straight stitch that are all in treadles.

My latest, Singer 224, was designed for treadle. I have had a Singer 328k in treadle. I bypassed the motor on that one. I have a Necchi Supernova Ultra in a Singer straight-leg treadle. I was lucky that I didn't need to make any pinholes larger for the Necchi to fit in that treadle. It went right into treadle like it was its home. If you read my blog you can see how I have the Singer 328k setup.

The smoothest machine to treadle is the Singer 224, than the Necchi, and lastly the Singer 328. All produce beautiful stitches. The Singers produce the same decorative stitches since they use the same Singer flat cams.

There are a couple of folks on the QB that own the Singers 306 and the 319 that can be treadle and perform decorative stitching. All of these machines can be seen in in the section with the photos of the vintage machines.

Blog Entries
    The blind-hem is most important to me. I'm a petite gal and as a result, pants I purchase need re-hemming most of the time. Beyond zig-zag, that blind hem is the most important stitch to me. All of my professional slacks need re-hemming. If I am not quilting, piecing, or straight stitch repairing, the blind-hem is my most "go to" stitch.

I just didn't know if it was remotely available on a machine that could be treadled. My New Home 6000 rests upon my student desk from childhood. Its freearm makes certain chores easy. I remember quite well trying to hem pants on my mother's finiky Featherweight. That was an exercise in frustration!!!
    Annette

Blog Entries
    heehee, I only hem jeans on a machine. All other pants hemming gets done by hand if they need to be done.
    Singer did make an attachment for blind hemming. Here is a photo of the attachment. I have tried it out on a sample, and it works well. This sample shows the outside. I think I tried this attachment out on my Singer 201.
    Name:  IMG_4398.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  1.04 MB
    Last edited by vintagemotif; 07-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ok so I'm a thread hog too...
    Here is one that I put on a hand crank - it could go on a treadle too - it looks something like Joe's Alden.
    Name:  June 30, 2012 022.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  130.4 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    I hit the wrong number!! (Actually, I WAS thinking it was the 4X machines...but knew better! LOL)

The 311, 319, 328 can all be treadled...there are a few others...
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I have a 401G and a 411G that treadle - the American models don't treadle. About any machine that runs with an exterior belt and the balance wheel sticks out past the end of the machine base could go on a treadle.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Happy treadling!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I don't know who made it. It's a Japanese machine. I've been unable to find an owners manual for it, or even any mention of the Alden name. Adler is as close as I can get.
    I found an Alden treadle while searching for something else on YouTube! The man puts a restored head on a restored treadle top. I was just looking for how to place waterslide decals on a sewing machine! LOL
    Annette

Blog Entries
    Finally jumped through all of the hoops and got onto TreadleOn's mailing list! I'm in love- Necchi BU Nova. YouTube has a great video showing off the finer points of its design. No idea how much one costs but the search has begun!
    Annette

Blog Entries
    Yesterday, I picked up my new to me Necchi BU Nova. I've not yet stitched with it because it needed a day to soak up oil. Thank you everyone for helping me on my quest!
    Annette

Good for you! Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast