Question About 99 Foot Pedal

Old 01-01-2022, 09:49 AM

Default Question About 99 Foot Pedal

I have several vintage machines, but none old than the early 50's. I just looked at a 99 at an estate sale. It was in good shape decals were good and appears to be from 1928/29. The bobbin casing and bobbin were there. It had a power cord with the machine and the light would turn on, but the foot pedal was missing. I looked in the case (which was also in pretty good shape) but it wasn't there either. I had thought that the 99 had the power cord and foot pedal as one piece. The power cord with the machine appeared to be original and in pretty good shape. Is there a separate foot pedal? Where does it plug into the machine? Also, what is the availability of replacement foot pedals and how much do they cost?

Edit: Okay, I just watched a video that showed the foot pedal being stored underneath the machine. Is this common? If it is I may wander over to the sale tomorrow and see if it sews and if they will take less for the machine. It wasn't expensive but it wasn't exactly a screaming deal.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 01-01-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:33 AM

It may be a 99-13 that uses a knee bar instead of foot pedal. A manual can be found at https://res.cloudinary.com/singer-se...ng_Machine.pdf or https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/7...13.html?page=2 It is possible that the electrical connections may different than what you are used to as seen at Singer 99 with knee bar needs electrical connection

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 01-01-2022, 11:08 AM

Thank you Janey. I did see a bar in the case and wondered about that. There was also a bracket to hold a foot pedal so I don't know. I had wondered if there was a different type of connection for the foot pedal. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-01-2022, 11:33 AM

that bar by itself holds some value.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:19 PM

I am fairly certain that the bracket in the lid was for the attachment box and I think there is probably a bracket for the oil can. Actually, there is a better manual at https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...nual-99-13.pdf

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-01-2022 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:08 PM

I think you are right Janey. That's right where the bracket on the case was. Well, this has been a great learning experience. Now I have a better idea what to look for.