Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question about Bobbin Winder on Singer 99-13? >

Question about Bobbin Winder on Singer 99-13?

Question about Bobbin Winder on Singer 99-13?

Old 04-20-2023, 02:10 PM

Default Question about Bobbin Winder on Singer 99-13?

If I were to find an original 9 spoked hand wheel (instead of my replica spoked hand wheel) from a singer 99k and put it on my 99-13 (originally electric) would this help the bobbin winder make contact better with the wheel so it will spin instead of rigging something up for my hand crank sewing machine? Thank you for any advice, I really appreciate it!
Old 04-20-2023, 03:07 PM

I'm 99.9% sure the reproduction 9 spoke hand wheel mirrors the Singer 9 spoke.

The solid hand wheel, for which your bobbin winder was designed, is a full 1 inch larger in diameter where the bobbin tire needs to engage. You can look for a 66 bobbin winder from a 66 which had an original spoked wheel. I might have one with a bonnet, you can message me.

I think Janey suggested removing the one bolt which allows the bobbin winder to be moved to engage the spoked wheel. I have successfully done that modification.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:21 AM

The to fix the problem of 99s and imitation HC installation is quite easy. This is a lot of words for a very simple operation.
Get yourself a piece of clear plumbing tubing...3/8" OD/1/4" ID. Length, enough to go around the inside flat area of the handwheel. You will need to remove HC to measure and install.

Get a short piece about 3/4" to 1" inch piece of 1/4"OD tubing. This will be the connector. Slice this piece lengthwise to cut off less than half.
Scrunch/ twist this small piece to one end of the larger tubing, then place on the handwheel and insert with small twist motion to connect.
I suggest you try dry run of creating this 'circle' off the machine to get the feel of it. The 2 ends will not come together completely, but the space will not cause a problem. If the space seems too large, more than an either or so, cut the length of connector.

You may need a few tries to get it right. I have found that on some handwheels it wants to slip off to rhe left. You will notice the area of the handwheel where we are placing the tubing is not really flat, so if the tubing is a bit loose, it will slip. To rectify that I take a piece of 1/4 OD tubing , make the same 'circle' and use a sliver of the 1/4 OD tubing as connector. place that to the left of the other band.
Let me know if this is clear, or you need pictures or clarification.
Oh, I find Home depot is the best source in my area. Midwest USA, I expect Maynards, or other hardware stores. Some carry only by 25 to 50 feet, others also sell off the roll, by the foot.
Maria
Old 04-21-2023, 07:09 AM

Maria, I'm not sure I'm understanding "inside flat area of the handwheel." I know I have used plastic tubing for treadle belt. It sounds like if you put it around the spoked hand wheel, where the treadle belt would ride that it would then allow you to use the original bobbin winder that is attached to the belt guard?

Melissa, some pictures may help identify which bobbin winder you are asking about. Have you seen the following links? One I believe is a newer 99 than yours.
https://treadleon.net/sewingmachines...onverting.html
https://mermaidsden.com/blog/2016/06...o-a-hand-crank
Converting Singer 99 to Handcrank

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-21-2023, 11:39 AM

I think Maria is talking about wrapping tubing around the area indicated with the red mark on the spoked hand wheel on the right, to bring the diameter of that area closer to that with the red mark on the solid hand wheel on the left, so that the bobbin winder original to the solid handwheel can engage on a spoked hand wheel, the areas with the red marks being where the bobbin tire makes contact.
Attached Thumbnails 20230421_143002-2-.jpg  
Old 04-21-2023, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I think Maria is talking about wrapping tubing around the area indicated with the red mark on the spoked hand wheel on the right, to bring the diameter of that area closer to that with the red mark on the solid hand wheel on the left, so that the bobbin winder original to the solid handwheel can engage on a spoked hand wheel, the areas with the red marks being where the bobbin tire makes contact.
Thank you, Joe. I forgot that the bobbin tire rides on the wheel and not on the belt. That makes more sense to me, now. I understand why it may slip and why another round to go around maybe in the area were the belt would ride. I'm wondering if a little larger tubing would help to ride the pulley area to keep the other from slipping off the area where the bobbin tire rides.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-21-2023, 05:38 PM

Perfect Joe!
If the only spoked wheel you had was the repro one, that flat area is often tilted to the left, so the tubing can potentially slip.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:42 PM

Janey, I have not found a larger tubing to contribute to a better fit.