Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question-need lubricant for old Singer 301? >

Question-need lubricant for old Singer 301?

Question-need lubricant for old Singer 301?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 AM

I sure am glad I bought some lubricant from the singer service while at the Toronto Creative Festival only because
I didn't want to use my antique looking container in singer box. Now I will take it to Fl to use in my 2 FW's. If I see
it again will buy another for stock. We don't have those local Singer stores around any more. Don't know the name
of dealer where I bought this or I would get you some.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 AM

Gun oil ... I haven't bought dedicated gun oil in decades. I've lost count of how many different oils I've tried for that use too. Never had a problem with gumming up. But as with other things that's where maintenance comes in I guess.

Oh, but the question is what to lube a 301 with.
I agree with either the Singer oil and lube, or Tri-Flow oil and lube. I see no problem with the Singer oil but the Tri-Flow is better.

Now I have a question. Several times in the last couple months I've read comments about Singer machine oil gumming up. Never had that experience with any I've used. Does anyone with a well used home machine have any first hand experience of Singer oil gumming up their machines?

If so could you elaborate? Start another topic if you want.

Joe
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM

I went to my local bicycle store when I bought my 500. They had Tri-flow oil but not grease. However, there was a different brand of grease with Teflon in it, called Finish Line. It comes in a white tube with a checkered flag on it. It works fine for me.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 AM

I am also interested in the 'gumming up'. Have not had any experience with it and the around 40 Featherweights that I have serviced in the last few years. Wonder if something else was used and that was why it happened.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgal View Post
I am also interested in the 'gumming up'. Have not had any experience with it and the around 40 Featherweights that I have serviced in the last few years. Wonder if something else was used and that was why it happened.
I wouldn't be surprised. There are many chemical compounds that can react with each other. Use one thing, then use another and suddenly the two create a gummy mess. I've seen it on type writers and firearms too.

Joe
Old 10-24-2012, 03:24 PM

Thank you everyone who responded. We no longer have any Singer repair places around here, thus I had to use Joann's to find my Singer lubricant. I know I can order it on line but when I get busy cleaning and fixing up a machine I don't want to wait for a mail order to arrive. When I bought this machine I was told it didn't work. I was thrilled that it did indeed work once I cleaned and oiled it. However I don't want to use it until I find the lubricant. For those who asked about the "old gummed up lubricant" I referred to: twice in the past I bought old machines, one a featherweight and one a black 301 that had old gummed up lubricant in some of the gears. I was surprised to find this beize 301 dry and clean,no old gummed up lube in any of the gears. One other time I cleaned up a featherweight that was fine, no gummy old lube in it either. As far as cleaning up old machines that the sum of my total experience. Thank you for all of your opinions. Guess this machine will have to sit until I can get some Singer Lubricant mail ordered.
Kat