Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilts made using vintage machines! >

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 07-24-2013, 05:44 AM

Here is a cheater quilt I just finished using my new Signature. The sewing machine I just bought two weeks ago for $20 from Hospice! It is for my new truck camper bed. My ganddaughters and I are going horse camping next weekend so I needed a fast quilt. The middle is[ATTACH=CONFIG]425642[/ATTACH] 3 panels, then I added the oriental border, then horse borders, quilted it and bound it! It measures 86x100!
Attached Thumbnails camperquilt.jpg  
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt made on a sweet treadle.

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I just finished piecing a Smokey Mountain Stars top, still needs borders. I used 30s repros. The free pattern can be found on www.quiltville.com. I pieced it with my 1955 Pfaff model 60 treadle.
Sharon
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM

Nancy, I like you horse theme quilt that you plan to use for camping.

Judy, Nicely done quilt with both sides having two different quilt patterns.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Nancy, I really can ay which machines at this point.. I switch around to much. LOL...

I do know it's between that pink atlas, whatever that 15 clone was that I gave away. The treadles I have been using are that Toyota and my homemade hacker singer 15 - ?. The electric's I do use are pfaff 130 , then a 237 , 15 - 88 , 15 - 91 , any time I need to get sometime done quick it's the 301. Then on quilts that I don't have photo's of I've used a kenmore , dressmaker , a Elgin , all the other treadles which there's to many of those to write out all the names LOL..

Then to put them together it's between a 31 -15 and that 15 - 88 ..

All the fabric came from places like salavtion army or st vinny or mostly yard and estate sales. The estates where sad to see, This is where I bought huges bags and boxes stuff full of new fabric at prices like 2 and 4 $ per bag

What was sad, 3 estate sales, I knew who each lady/ family was, each was just over 90 yrs old..To go into there homes and see what they did in the way of sewing. What was left of there lifes collection..I also bought treadle machines at each sale..

At the start of this my mom died, I had my choice of her sewing stuff , I look back now , doing so many quilts , It ma have been my way of letting these people know there life will be remember, That there toys ( fabric ) went to a very good use. And it gave me some thing to do , LOL, Doing this really does help keep you warm during those cold winters, quilting aking size on a home type machine is a work out.

I'm amazed at the work and skill it takes to make a really nice quilt, I will never get that far ,,
Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 AM

oneday, how nice that are put those fabrics to use.

Nancy, your 'quick' quilt is very nice. I really like the strong colors in the borders.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM

nancy your pic of the horse theme just loaded for me. I was waiting for John wanye to come Riding up .. LOL... This pattern reminds me of eastern calif ..

It looks like you did a heavy ZZ around the center panels in Brown , is that right
Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 PM

Oneday, you certainly have been busy. That's a lot of quilts..... good job!

Nancy, your horse quilt looks like it will be perfect for your camping trip.... I find border fabric to be challenging but you certainly came up with a nice combination..... super job.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 AM

Thank you all! I needed to get something done fast, and I had all the fabric on hand. The horse quilt is perfect for my camper since it will be used mostly for horse camping! Sometimes it is very rewarding to dig into your stash and just go for it! Even the back is horsey and pieced from my stash! It is pretty fun to make an easy cheater quilt once in a while!

Oneday, no zig zag on that quilt. I free motion quilted it with a lot of loops!

Nancy
Old 07-25-2013, 06:21 AM

Monroe, thank you for your kind comments on my quilt.

Oneday, I really like that denim quilt with a few red triangles and flying geese. I have a lot of denim saved up and I've added your quilt to my folder of "ideas" so I can use it for inspiration later.

Nancy, you are calling that a "cheater" quilt but I can see a lot of thought a design went into that. I never would have thought to put oriental fabric with those panels but it is perfect. Nice job. What do you mean by 'horse camping'? Do you bring horses along for riding while you are rving?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post

Nancy, you are calling that a "cheater" quilt but I can see a lot of thought a design went into that. I never would have thought to put oriental fabric with those panels but it is perfect. Nice job. What do you mean by 'horse camping'? Do you bring horses along for riding while you are rving?
I auditioned lots of fabric with the horse panels and the oriental border just looked the best to me! Somehow it just made the whole quilt richer looking. Thank you Judy, even cheater quilts take planning!

Horse camping is just that. I just bought a nice little camper to go on the truck. I am getting too paranoid about tent camping by ourselves, I feel too vulnerable. My grandaughter and I love to go to different locations that are set up with corrals for people who go camping with their horses. We get our camp all ready and head out on the trails for some exploration - there are lots and lots of horse friendly camping grounds within a couple hours drive from me!We are going next weekend for the first time with my new camper!
Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 07-25-2013 at 12:40 PM.