Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Refinishing my Featherweight.... >

Refinishing my Featherweight....

Refinishing my Featherweight....

Old 09-09-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
I'm in the process of repainting several featherweights. I used the waterslide decals and didn't have any problems. I would sand the decals off and replace them with the waterslide decals. Sorry this happened to you. I guess after we do a few, we'll get better at it. My problem now is getting my clear coat on without getting "overspray" that I have to keep sanding off. Let us know what you decide to do.

Hi Lynn -- My clearcoat goes on but the spray is not a mist but more of a spray. It's not as smooth as I'd like. Not sure if it's a bum can of clearcoat. Anyway... I'm waiting in the mail for another set of decals...not waterslide though. This time it will be a very light coat, then a second light coat and then it should be good to put a final coat. Let you know how it goes after I get those decals in the mail.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:59 AM

I hope the decals work for you this time. I live in Florida and the heat and humidity has been very high, so I've been waiting for conditions to be just right to begin my clearcoat application again...hopefully, in a couple of days. Good luck on yours!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM

Well, the ebay store still hasn't shipped my replacement decals. I sent another email reminder today. Hopefully, I will have them by the weekend. The machine is ready for them and the weather should be good to clearcoat. Keeping my fingers crossed and will knit on my sweater until then. Can't wait to start sewing Yellow Brick Road quilt pattern on the machine.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 PM

what are you doing for the chrome parts? i've been wondering if there's a way to reface those. my grandmother's red eye treadle has some pitting in the chrome and the faceplate is in awful shape. i know you can buy replacements but i'm hoping to refinish the originals.

your work looks fantastic so far. i'll be watching to see how the new decals do.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:24 AM

Hi Oregongirl - My FW chrome parts are fine so I don't really have to do anything with them but tape up so paint doesn't get on them. I think refacing chrome is not so easy. You may need to google it to see if it's possible. If they aren't expensive I'd just replace them.

I should get the decals on Saturday and if the weather is dry I will reapply with a very light coat of clearcoat. Apparently, humidity and too much clearcoat on the first coat is a killer on decals, both ink coated and waterslide. My clearcoat can has been sitting for a while and the spray was not as fine a mist as I wanted so I'll probably pick up another can of clearcoat and make sure it's warmed up so the spray is not thick and more of a mist. More pics to come soon.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:59 AM

Default Update on Refinishing my Featherweight

Ok -- I finally got the new decals on and after realizing that the first can of clear coat was a dud...after 2 coats, I got a new can of clear coat and finished the painting/sanding/finishing. Not completely happy with the end result but this is my first repainting job so I'm content. Made a few mistakes and learned a lot...here are the pics. Now I'm putting the parts back on and hooking up the wiring and can't seem to get it right. When I plug in the machine, the motor runs and the hand wheel spins but the needle bar doesn't move. Also the lights and the on/off switch don't work. I found wiring diagrams posted by jijack so will look at that tonight. I think I may need to get new connectors for the wires. They are little round connectors and some of the wiring connections are only held on by one or two wires. I've enclosed pics if you can tell what I'm talking about maybe you can help me find out where I can get replacement wires.
Attached Thumbnails dsc03669.jpg   dsc03670.jpg   dsc03671.jpg   dsc03679.jpg   dsc03673.jpg  

dsc03681.jpg   dsc03711.jpg   dsc03712.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 AM

How many coats of clear coat did you use? I'm working on several machines now and I use clear coat after the paint, then apply the decals and use several more clear coats. I sand between each coat and make sure that the edges of the decals blend in well. I don't have mine finished yet, but will post pics when I do. It looks like you need to do some rewiring on your FW. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 AM

I used 3 coats of clear coat. The first two coats were with the bad can of clearcoat. Then I got the new can and the spray was much better. I may actually spray the extension bed once more because it doesn't look as shiny.

These were not the waterslide decals so they do 'stick up' on the machine. I sanded between each coat but I was afraid to sand the decals after the trouble I had with them bleeding with the first coat of clear coat. Still waiting on a couple more comments to see if someone can help me find the correct wires to replace the ones on the machine.

This machine will be for my nephew to use...once he is old enough to handle it. Until then, I'll be using it to make him a quilt for his room.

Looking forward to seeing your pics as well.

Julie