Restoring a dressmaster

Old 06-10-2020, 02:16 PM

Default Dressmaster pedal mistery

Hello Leonf,
Thank you. Unfortunately my machine don’t have what you described. I tried to post pictures here but it won’t allow me. The light and power feed it’s on the same cord. I wish I can post the pictures.

Glenda

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Hey Glenda, Good news and questions for you. Your machine looks to be a rebadged White or something similar. On the bottom side of the motor is probably plug in with three or four flat brass arms dropping down. Am I right? The foot control should fit into these. I'll try to post a pic later. I am surprised that your light works. Does it have a cord going directly from the light to wall?

Welcome aboard.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:21 PM

Default Restoring a dressmaster

And I was able to post pictures! Pls let me know what do you think.
thank you!

Thank you,
Glenda
Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Hey Glenda, Good news and questions for you. Your machine looks to be a rebadged White or something similar. On the bottom side of the motor is probably plug in with three or four flat brass arms dropping down. Am I right? The foot control should fit into these. I'll try to post a pic later. I am surprised that your light works. Does it have a cord going directly from the light to wall?

Welcome aboard.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:31 PM

Welcome, Glenda.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button. I know it says the maximum size is more than 2MB, but they don't load.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:12 PM

Default Pictures of my mistery Dressmaster

I got to post my pictures again.
Attached Thumbnails e15545ad-f93b-4c39-a97b-19b2bb220aff.jpeg   ef3fcaea-e42b-497f-84ca-7f540254c50c.jpeg  
Old 06-10-2020, 04:14 PM

Thank you Janey, I hope I was able to figure this out.
Glenda
Old 06-10-2020, 05:35 PM

Glad I could help, at least with getting the pictures posted. I have a couple of White machines, but haven't had them out for a while. I don't remember them having 3-cord zip cord. I'm thinking that an electric foot controller would work. I know they do for old carbon pile controllers and pretty sure rheostat controllers.

Is the cord long enough to go to a foot controller? I'm wondering what the wiring looks like after it goes under the machine. I know I have seen a bunch of configurations for the wiring. I have also heard of people thinking that it didn't have a foot pedal, but finding that it was wired to a knee controller. Some machines use a knee controller that is actually a foot controller in a bracket in the cabinet. Unfortunately there isn't a picture of the motor controller, but two motors for a Dressmaster at Louise .... or the new Singer ....... no choice at all. one is blade type and the other is a pin type.

Now that you know how to post pictures, maybe show the ends of the wires that you have.

ETA- the place that I and others used to refer to for vintage machine parts is no longer in business. I have picked up controllers from thrift stores and have switched out if had the cord with the correct plug.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-10-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:38 PM

hank you for your efforts. It isn't easy. OK you have the connection I expected. Is the machine in a cabinet?

if so take a look under teh cabinet and see if there is a control bot with a lever where your right knee can easily operate it. That is a strong possibilbity. if it isn't there, trace the wires back past a split and see where they go.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:44 PM

This is it one one of my machines. They do vary a bit.
Attached Thumbnails knee-lever-controller-c_crop.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 06:27 PM

Hopefully, someone will correct me, if I'm wrong, but I think this one would work if the wire is long enough - https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/fo...al-6098fc.aspx and some explanation of the electronic foot controller at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk8iSs_9uZo

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-12-2020, 06:27 PM

Glenda, a motor block cord set would need to be rewired so that the motor has an electric plug as well as the light would need to be rewired for an electric plug.. If your wires are long enough, all you need is the foot controller. The motor and light are already wired to the plug at the bottom of the motor.
Two possibilities https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOT-CONTRO...EAAOSwy6VZu5RX and https://www.amazon.com/Singer-Sewing...008926&sr=8-33 I am sure there are others. There are youtube videos about wiring a foot pedal.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)