Scored 301 Card Table

Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 AM

Default Scored 301 Card Table

Noel, a QB buddy (thanks Noel), sent me a Craigslist link for a sewing machine table listed for $45. When I first saw the photo it looked like a Featherweight table. I tasked DD to pursue the table. One of DD's friends picked it up for us. DD then called me to say that it was not a Featherweight table as her Featherweight did not fit in the table and she could not find any markings on the table that denoted Singer. I picked up the table yesterday and it was painted the same Mocha color as my 301. Hmmmm, it HAS to be some kind of Singer card table. Once I hauled it past DH, who rolled his eyes and said "what do you have now?" and got it upstairs and started cleaning it. I finally found the Simanco name and model number stamped on the back metal support bar. Whooo Hoooo! The table model is 148121 and Millie, my 301 now has a table to sit in. There are a few small veneer issues on the corners and sometime in the past someone had attached a piece of molding to one top edge with a ruler applied to it. Or did they come that way?

Attached Thumbnails more-pics-009.jpg   more-pics-007.jpg  
Old 05-31-2013, 07:21 AM

The ruler didn't come on the tables. I've got one just like this.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:24 AM

That is what I thought. I think Millie and the table are a good match. Both have been well used.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 AM

The condition of mine is very similar to yours. And that's o.k. by me because I drag it to sew days and don't worry about it. I had thought briefly about refinishing it, but then realized if I did that, I would be worried about damaging it and less apt to use it like I currently do.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 AM

Nancy Johnson-Srebro mentions in her book, Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable that the card tables were designed to also serve as utility tables. Her advice is to consider the table as an antique and not refinish or re-do. Quote, "A worn top is at least original and speaks volumes from a historical perspective." I will eventually repair the veneer on the corners so more damage will not occur.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:10 PM

Caroline, Fix your table top to use it. They made these tables by the hundreds of thousands. You didn't hunt it down and drag it home to look at it - use it! The antique value of them is negligible at best. They are only 60 years ( roughly) at this point and won't be a true antique for another 40 years. These tables are not fine furniture by any stretch of the imagination, they are a utilitarian table, meant to be used with sharp things like pins and scissors around them. They will have dings, scratches, worn varnish and peeling veneer.

Mine looked so bad when I brought it home I used denatured alcohol to soften the varnish enough to smooth it out some. Once it was dry I bought a roll of clear self sticking shelf liner and covered the top with it. It is really very slippery, which is nice when quilting. It isn't pretty, but it's pretty functional.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Caroline, Fix your table top to use it. They made these tables by the hundreds of thousands. You didn't hunt it down and drag it home to look at it - use it! The antique value of them is negligible at best. They are only 60 years ( roughly) at this point and won't be a true antique for another 40 years. These tables are not fine furniture by any stretch of the imagination, they are a utilitarian table, meant to be used with sharp things like pins and scissors around them. They will have dings, scratches, worn varnish and peeling veneer.

Mine looked so bad when I brought it home I used denatured alcohol to soften the varnish enough to smooth it out some. Once it was dry I bought a roll of clear self sticking shelf liner and covered the top with it. It is really very slippery, which is nice when quilting. It isn't pretty, but it's pretty functional.
I agree. I refinish or paint cabinets etc. as I see fit to be able to make use of them. I don't need to do any veneer work on my card table and don't mind the "patina".
Old 05-31-2013, 11:09 PM

*claps* yay! ya got a table for Millie! congrats
Old 06-01-2013, 05:22 AM

Yayyyyy!!!!
How sturdy are the card tables?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:47 AM

very sturdy....much more so than cardtables which have to have the legs straight down for people to sit at all four sides.

murphys oil wood soap works great on mine..... do protect the corners...they could snag fabric