Sewing machine help

Old 02-04-2015, 04:27 PM

Exclamation Sewing machine help

Hi New here
I hope someone can help. I have a Kenmore 158.13450 sewing machine.I have had this machine for 35 years and it still runs like bran new, Now that I am retired, I would like to try to quilt and sew again.I wanted to update my collection of presser feet with a walking foot and a few other feet. Now here is the problem...my 35 year old machine. I went on sears and Kenmore web site, and they don't carry any presser feet for my machine anymore...who would have guessed. Hey my baby (sewing machine) is only 35 years!!
I also went on ebay and the problem is I don't know if my machine takes low shank or high shank. I never had bought any feet in all these years,(never need any ) this machine came with lot of feet when it was new,and the book that came with my machine doesn't say if the feet are low or high shank. . Does anyone have this machine? or know a web site I can look and get the answer....sears and kenmore don't know. An also does anyone know of a cheep site to get accessories for sewing machines. thank you for your help
Old 02-04-2015, 04:32 PM

I "think" it should be a low shank machine, BUT don't hold me to it.

Here's a link to a site with a section on how to tell what shank you have:
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }

Go to the presser foot section and follow the links.

Welcome to the QB.

Joe
Old 02-04-2015, 05:12 PM

There was a review of this machine on Sewing Pattern Review, also a few other sites had info about it being a low shank, oscillating hook, 3/4 size machine, .89 Amps. From the photo of one on Goodwill.com, it is clearly a low shank or short shank foot machine. I think I read on Sew Classic that a rotary hook is better for free motion than an oscillating hook, never know till you try. Officially, this is called an Ultra Stitch 8. You say you're looking for a walking foot; Sew Classic also has good info about choosing a walking foot.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I think I read on Sew Classic that a rotary hook is better for free motion than an oscillating hook...
I know nothing about Kenmores, but it was my understanding that the Singer 15-88-91 is awesome for FMQ. It has an oscillating hook
Old 02-04-2015, 07:35 PM

It may be more having a vertical bobbin vs horizontal, Singer 15's are know to be great FMQ machines.

My last quilting machine (Bailey) was oscillating - my new one (Handi Quilter) is full rotary.

For a domestic machine, it's all going to depend on the machine. My best "all around" sewing machine (viking bought around 1981) is not very good with FMQ. So try your machine and see if you like it - and if not, then try something else and keep it for piecing.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 AM

thank you everyone for the info on my machine (Kenmore model 158.13450). I truly thank every one for taking their time to help me .Now I have a place to start looking to get more equipment for sewing and when I get a little better with this machine, I will be getting me a new Sewing "buddy" But I will keep this old baby, still works and in good shape....but told hubby...."New machine do so mush more". Thank you all again. Oh by the way, still have a my singer model 27, still working ..I just love to sew on it.I have had this sewing machine since I was 12 years old.
Thank you All. littledreamdevil.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Littledreamdevil View Post
..."New machine do so much more".
actually the old ones can do most everything the new ones can, just using attachments to do so.

New ones do it much easier, but they do it for such a short amount of time before breaking.....
Old 02-05-2015, 07:28 PM

If you are like me and many other quilters you probably won't use all those features on the expensive newer machines. I REALLY regret buying into the idea that I needed a new fancy machine. I use my older, heavy workhorse most of the time. I understand her and she's never let me down. Ever.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
it being a low shank, oscillating hook,
I think I read on Sew Classic that a rotary hook is better for free motion than an oscillating hook
Cogito and Macybaby have corrected me on this. I looked it up again and it's about it being horizontal or vertical, not as I said.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Littledreamdevil View Post
thank you everyone for the info on my machine (Kenmore model 158.13450). I truly thank every one for taking their time to help me .Now I have a place to start looking to get more equipment for sewing and when I get a little better with this machine, I will be getting me a new Sewing "buddy" But I will keep this old baby, still works and in good shape....but told hubby...."New machine do so mush more". Thank you all again. Oh by the way, still have a my singer model 27, still working ..I just love to sew on it.I have had this sewing machine since I was 12 years old.
Thank you All. littledreamdevil.
The last quilt I completed was sewn together with a Singer 27 treadle. All you really need for quilting is a decent straight stitch machine. If you work with knits a zigzag stitch is good to have. The fancy stitches are fun to play with but aren't essential for most sewing chores. You have to spend serious money on a top end new machine to match the quality of most vintage machines. Even then the vintage machines have the advantage of no circuit boards to fail. If you're going to spend money on a new machine I recommend one with a built in walking foot. I know the Pfaff with that feature that I sewed on was nice.
Rodney