Sewing Machine Petting Zoo

Old 10-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Well, I'll have to throw one of those redeye machines on the truck. My grand kids don't like the eyes looking at them. Cracks me up. They like the 99s or the 15s or the Cinderella machines. DH made a box for Cinderella today. Lovie and I had a good discussion about what to take to the petting zoo. Cinderella topped her list. Her case is so shabby.... Anyway he made a little frame for the machine to sit on and Lovie sanded the wood. It is made out of some scrap cherry wood. I think you could put the name Cinderella and paint a couple flowers on about any old machine and she would fall in love.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Banned

Isn't it funny sometimes what the little ones will focus on? Lately Shye, my 3yr old kidlet has decided she likes superheroes. While we were shopping last week for new clothes for pre school she spotted little boys superhero underwear and we weren't leaving the store without them. So my tiny-shiny girl wears green lantern or batman underwear to school.

Cari
Old 10-05-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Isn't it funny sometimes what the little ones will focus on? Lately Shye, my 3yr old kidlet has decided she likes superheroes. While we were shopping last week for new clothes for pre school she spotted little boys superhero underwear and we weren't leaving the store without them. So my tiny-shiny girl wears green lantern or batman underwear to school.

Cari
Gotta love that!
Rodney
Old 10-05-2014, 08:31 PM

Miriam,

I love what you are doing. I would love to be there, too, but I'm much too far away and I still have to work! I could stand to learn a LOT more about the various machines, but I spend more time running one or the other of the ones I have (mainly the 403A lately).

Good luck. I know you will enjoy your event!

Jeanette
Old 10-06-2014, 01:47 AM
Power Poster

Cari, At least she is willing to wear underwear... I have a DGS who refused to until he wanted to go to school. Then he wears it to school, comes home and takes it off. Oh and he has a Princess pencil box. They are going to different schools together.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:59 AM

I would love a chance to go pet a bunch of older machines!

What fascinates me is the changes in the engineering and how ideas swept across the manufacturers. I would be totally entranced if someone put together a real-life "evolutionary tree" of sewing machines that I could walk along; showing where various key changes created new branches of machine technology. Of course, most interesting would be all the dead-ends!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post

What fascinates me is the changes in the engineering and how ideas swept across the manufacturers. I would be totally entranced if someone put together a real-life "evolutionary tree" of sewing machines that I could walk along; showing where various key changes created new branches of machine technology. Of course, most interesting would be all the dead-ends!
Now you have my attention. How about a sewing machine museum?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post

This is what we do with The Victorian Sweatshop (my travelling show)

Folks really seem to like the "progression". I set up three lines, one of domestic, one of industrial/tailor machines, and one of handcranks. It really is funny how the guys will gravitate to the industrials and the ladies will gravitate to the domestic machines with the kids ALWAYS obsessed with the handcrank
Old 10-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Cari, At least she is willing to wear underwear... I have a DGS who refused to until he wanted to go to school. Then he wears it to school, comes home and takes it off. Oh and he has a Princess pencil box. They are going to different schools together.
LOL, we don't talk about Arrows baby doll and his high heels that stay here at Grammas house. His dad(my son) would kill me.

On topic, I think there have been some good ideas tossed out here, Miriam you might be over thinking it. Do something similar to what you did camping but have a couple examples of different kinds of machines like treadles, hand cranks, tailed straight stitch and zigzag machines. People are going to be interested(or they wouldn't be there) in whatever you bring.

Cari
Old 10-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
This is what we do with The Victorian Sweatshop (my travelling show)

Folks really seem to like the "progression". I set up three lines, one of domestic, one of industrial/tailor machines, and one of handcranks. It really is funny how the guys will gravitate to the industrials and the ladies will gravitate to the domestic machines with the kids ALWAYS obsessed with the handcrank
That sounds awesome! I just found your site and will have to watch it to see where you're setting up. You're not exactly my neighbor, but I might be willing to spend some time in traffic for something like that.