Sewing Machine Petting Zoo

Old 10-06-2014, 01:24 PM

A simple handout sheet would be a good thing to send home with people, someone will always take a idea once presented with it.
So on the way home they stop at a yard sale and pick up a machine that needs some love...or even a perfect one.

List some of the simple Don'ts ( so they don't silver their beautiful decals)

and some Do's (if it's stuck oil it and oil it again...It isn't hopeless)

that way you aren't spending precious time saying the same things over and over again that we know as common sense.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 10-06-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

AH I am open to lots of suggestions about that hand out sheet!
Old 10-06-2014, 01:47 PM

This sounds like a great idea Miriam!

Callen: I have a couple of red eye machines, they are awesome machines.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
This sounds like a great idea Miriam!

Callen: I have a couple of red eye machines, they are awesome machines.
They are awesome if you aren't a little kid afraid of one eyed monsters...
Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Power Poster

My petting zoo will be much different from Steve's. Since the lady wants a little class in cleaning and maintaining a sewing machine, I'm going to take old ugly derelicts with 3 different bobbin types. Long bobbin, drop in bobbin and one with a bobbin case. The 3 I'm thinking of look horrible! I also have a New Home with a painted out name and other issues. We can clean on them in the class. Then I'm going to take machines that have been cleaned up and will sew that match the machines that are a mess. Then the goal will be to clean some up while we are there. The good machines will also get put to use when we let kids sew on paper bags or what ever. I may take some other machines along to look at/use but in INDIANA we need to see that derelict machines CAN be made to work. The ones in treadles are found with no home and no power most of the time. Maybe we can save a few machines that are lurking in attics, barns and sheds then maybe a few treadles won't get turned into coffee tables or what ever. I also have some machines the DGDs were using over the week end - those need minor cleaning and no repairs so that we don't get people discouraged or overwhelmed. Their go to machines were a worn looking little Singer 99 fitted with a hand crank and a clone when they were piecing quilt squares for Ashlea's quilt. Anyway I'll get double duty out of machines by hauling look a likes and derelicts. I think I'll work on a hand out for cleaning out a sewing machine - it will have 3 different bobbin styles but clearly refer to using your sewing machine manual. I still have to find out how much space they are giving me....

Last edited by miriam; 10-07-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:37 AM

I'd include a couple of 1950s European machines to get people in. The Husqvarna/Viking green machines and Bernina 530-2 are beautiful stitchers, free arm and 50-60 years old.
The Necchi Supernova is also a fantastic machine, but you might want to do some free weights for a few months before lifting it.
Just providing other options. I've seen people look at those vintage free arms and just melt, until they try and lift them of course
Old 10-07-2014, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

The old Elna machines aren't terribly heavy. I have some but I don't do much with them. I would NOT want to do a clean out in the class...
Old 10-07-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The old Elna machines aren't terribly heavy. I have some but I don't do much with them. I would NOT want to do a clean out in the class...
I heard that the Elnas (the green one) aren't that great a machine. Completely hearsay though. What's your experience been?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:49 AM

I like Mike's idea to include the Viking's and Bernina's...but I'm not too sure I would go back as far as the 530...maybe the 730 or the quilter's dream machine 830. I've worked on many of the old European machines and the Necci is a super machine but just weighs as much as an industrial.

This show is such a great idea! I've seen those bags with the holes in them at Christmas, with a bit of sand and a votive candle in them.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Rodney, you have given it a lot of thought! I have only a couple weeks so I'm having to think fast and get things ready. I think I won't take anything like a 301 with an expensive bobbin case that could walk.
Something like that would never have even occurred to me!