Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which Sewing Machine was it when you Realized You had way too many? >

Which Sewing Machine was it when you Realized You had way too many?

Which Sewing Machine was it when you Realized You had way too many?

Old 09-27-2014, 08:49 PM

I haven't reached that point either. I am saying no more often, but oh how my heart jumps when I see a machine! I have them in the front room, the family room, the "sewing room" and on shelving. Then there is the hoard in the garage still waiting their spa days. I have plenty enough to keep me busy for a good long time but I can't stop looking!
Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 AM
Power Poster

I am seriously over loaded, too. Right now I'm trying to get rid of cabinets. I think I might have to burn some of them. Yup that bad. Jon, Glenn sent me home with an ugly Davis head with a needle feed. I need info how the needle bar end of things works. I found a White treadle base in the garage it will fit. Now to get rid of some stuff both in the garage and in the house to get it in the house. Oh and I do have a sewing machine in the bathroom.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:44 AM

Sewing machine overload here too. My little “Bike Shop” work area (closed in carport to create a utility room) is becoming a “Sewing Shop” instead. We have sewing machines in every room of the house except the kitchen. Both bathrooms have a machine in them. The wife and I are already talking about moving the air-lift motorcycle table out onto a covered patio and covering it from the weather. It takes me a half of a day moving sewing machines around to get a motorcycle in on the table as it is now, and I’m wanting to put another industrial power stand in there.

And then just minutes ago, strolling through the Dallas Craig’s List, I spotted an old rusty Singer 28K handcrank in the convertible base designed for setting into a treadle, and the treadle irons being sold with it could be one of the 3/4-size frames that is original to the machine. I can’t tell, because the cabinet top has been changed, and the treadle components have been removed. Both the machine and treadle are rusty basket-cases, but the portable wood base looks good. Just the sort of thing I seem to be falling for here lately.

So, when I seriously considered driving the 260 miles one-way to pay my $60 for it, and then sadly changed my mind, I thought to myself, “Boy! I’m really hooked on this sewing machine addiction, ain’t I!”

If someone else is interested in it, the listing is at:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/atq/4688863037.html

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-28-2014, 05:52 AM

I'm overloaded too - but DH and I will be building a new home for our machines.

I keep looking at the Davis VS machines. I have the walking foot, and I really struggle with if I should have a regular Davis made VS machine too. I'd grab a 3/4 size one fast if it came with the shuttle - and I'd love to find one of the rarer Davis round bobbin machines.

I figure I got lucky when I lost my head and bought the Davis low arm - in that I was able to send it on to someone that would appreciate it way more than I would - though that was such a neat machine LOL!!

I have no problem paying shipping for machines, I figure I'd have to drive several hundred miles for most anyway, and I'd much rather pay $50 shipping than spend $100 in gas plus a day's time to go pick one up. I figure I get lucky if I find one less than 100 miles away. Though it's probably a good thing I don't live closer to a city - or I may have even more machines!

Now that things will be "settled" with the farm, I shouldn't be making monthly trips into the Twin Cities, so my main avenue for buying machines will be gone. Though Omaha is only four hours away, and they often have neat machines listed too.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

When you can't find a place for another
Old 09-28-2014, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I'm like Joe & Elaine. Machines in almost every room in the house tripping over them daily, machines in the shed, in my car, at other peoples houses. I've even gotten rid of furniture to make more room for them. I'm a lot more particular about what I bring home now and am slowly thinning the herd but I can't seem to stop bringing them home.Cari
Ditto Cari. Don't forget the closets.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:12 AM

Cd that poor thing is a complete rust bucket. I think it would be easily the oldest machine in my herd if it was mine but other than that and the handcrank there aren't a lot of redeeming qualities. This coming from a guy who is a proven sucker for basket cases. I would have them measure the stand before I drove that far. Make sure it really is the 3/4 size one first because given how many machines you have that would be the big reason for going.

Macybaby you have a far different perspective on distance than I do these days. 4 hours one way is far in my world.
Rodney
Old 09-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

OK. THIS IS WAR........... I may even start a new thread about this...
it's not the machines.... it's the tables and stools and treadles......... They take up so much space.............
Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 AM

Easy! Easy Miriam!!!!

Put that hammer down!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t254454.html
hammer? - you mean matches???