Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 301 maintenance inquiry >

Singer 301 maintenance inquiry

Singer 301 maintenance inquiry

Old 07-13-2021, 05:31 AM

Default Thank you for showing me how to share photos, didn’t think about visually sharing

I was surprised to see how different it looked compared to a few others that was included in videos for showing how to remove the rotating hook and do inspections for possible burr markings that could damage the thread, and what to visually see to make sure that it doesn’t cause problems for the thread and what to expect to see if timing is not done and how it would marr and visually show why the needle is not picking up the bobbin thread. I was able to get out a few deep indentations that wasn’t along the design’s original version and curve so was glad to have it closer to the chance to try it. I was watching the tutorials and noticed that some of the parts were set up opposite, I made certain to have everything set up in front of me similar to the video so I could have it go over with my machine matching how they described it to be. I was kind of hoping to see how it would be for these curtains that I made and how it would work with the singer 301 foot since that came with it. Then understand what to order soon as I learned how it would help with the process. I am currently trying to reset the needle bar, needle bushing, and the rotating hook so it will be on timing again. I was sad to see how deep the new gashes are when I attempted to get it to pick up because I have done it before a long time ago and it was simple. Similar to the videos showing how it would be a little pull up with the top thread to make the bobbin thread come through the cover plate. I will have to do another post to show the parts that are going to be adjusted but will be after completing the needle bar adjustment so I will have fewer parts off0d3f364d-f0fb-4ccd-8899-409f60267bd2.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails 5c52869b-9cfd-4207-9793-379209159a2a.jpeg   1edbda4a-de7d-4de4-948d-e674234ddc20.jpeg  
Old 07-13-2021, 05:41 AM

Default They are so awesome with sharing what they learned!

Originally Posted by Dressmaker View Post
Here are a couple of video's to help you remove those stubborn screws.
Ray Elkins https://youtu.be/LSU7Ua7xyuY
Andy Tube https://youtu.be/6pAWzJyV0IY
I have been following Andy and find him very relaxing to follow through with directions. I just watched Ray about an hour ago with the same video that I was so happy you recommended! He is a new one for me to follow but I am glad that you recommended.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:50 AM

Default A few others I am starting to follow

Vintage Sewing Machine Garage, Sewing Machine Tips and Tricks, Andy Tube (first one since he was recommended), The Treasure Cellar, Paul Howell, and Ray Elkins (just this morning too right before I had gotten some responses). They all have been pretty helpful with being able to visually identify and understand how to maintenance and how to put together as well.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
A vintage machine would have to be abused quite badly to throw off the timing. I believe one would see, at a minimum, lots of needle strikes on the needle/stitch plate.

When I get a machine, I clean and oil, but don't touch the tension at all, until after I see how it stitches. I'll adjust the tension if needed, but don't remove it to deep clean/polish -yet. Checking in this manner separates the machine capability from user error.
This is exactly what I do. Often and good cleaning and oiling is all that is needed and, as you say, It eliminates a lot of "user error" especially when you're new to vintage machines and just following youtube with little other knowledge.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:58 AM

When she told me that she wants me to go to a professional sewing machine mechanic before I tried to start it for any reason, made me feel like she knew, but it wasn’t obvious enough for the reasons why because she didn’t give any more details. I was just so happy to have a chance to be able to make more things than blankets and bags from crochet or knitting. I have taken the time to understand the logistics and the comprehensive process of the design’s mechanisms. Been doing it through all my hobbies and have been showing my family how to repair fans, to other at home repairs and have it done with the first time. I don’t take a chance with it was a mistake, was raised to have it done the first time right before even attempting because either that is the only chance you would ever get or it was that one shot that made it the last. I had the quote, “don’t worry, it only has to be perfect” and I both hate it and understand how it is better to get as much information and have it done so not having to repeat everything over again and have to worry about it. Wasn’t really allowed to have mistakes, and having the capability to get help with what I wanted so had to rely on finding out what I would have to do to make sure that it was done and understanding to make sure that it was capable for being sturdy and reliable. I wasn’t trying to make it sound like I am trying something beyond my capability and zero knowledge of the logistics to comprehend. I am sorry for the inconvenient rant.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:31 PM

Jade.Rose, you may find a 301 workshop helpful. Friends who have attended have said it was worth every penny!
David walks you hrough every aspect of the machine. There's only one left this year, it's the two day class on Aug. 7th.

https://www.quilters-connection.com/...classId=337953