Singer 301A

Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
I got the mocha one for $80 plus shipping and I also bought a black one for $50. HOWEVER, the seller is handicapped and her dh works for FED EX and she sent pics and addresses with him to be packed and shipped. HMMM. I got someone else's HAND CRANK JONES --the prettiest machine in a wood case with key. Has a shuttle. However it was just stuck in a box with no padding no newspaper at least around it, the box did not fit as one end was caved in and no bubble wrap inside to keep it from rattling around. Now, I got an email that said to wait on shipping it to this other person, because FED EX is supposed to reimburse her and she will reimburse us, but what a mess. Hope that guy got my machine and was packed better than this one. Otherwise I am out $40 for the shipping and $50 for the machine.
So the color i have is mocha, i know its darker than tan, i didn't know they had differant colors, i can't believe its in such great shape, the man i bought it from said its been in his house, and there are a lot of attachments, still in the singer boxes.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
It's how you access the guts of the machine. You'll need to open this to oil and lubricate, so you'd better download the manual.
Thank you, I will work on that today, and then try to sew on her, her name will be Emma, after my first granddaughter who was born on May 7th
Old 05-20-2012, 09:44 AM

I know i have to locate the serial number, but there is a black plate that i have to remove. Do you know when these machines came out?? The book that came with the machine was copyrighted in 1951, 1952 (year i was born) and 1953. And i am guessing this is just a straight stitch machine??
Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap41 View Post
My first sewing machine was a 301A, it was beige in color; was dumb
and traded it in on an Elna. the Elna was a great machine, but I wish
I had kept the 301A. The Elna got stolen from a western wear store
and I ended up with a New Home, it lasted 16 years and did a lot of
sewing. I have a friend that has the 301A machine and she is 89
years old and still uses it. Tell DH you got a bargain!
Not only did i tell DH about my bargin, i told DH, if he touches, he will lose his hands (lol) we have been married 40yrs this month and ever since i have known him, he takes things apart to see how they work, so this is an older machine and i can see him doing this, my dad has been gone since 1995 and he worked for a company that make grandfather clocks and he made one for me and my MIL, one night after i went to bed i woke up to the bonging of the clock and went out to investigate and guess who got caught in the headlight, and almost got hit with a bat. I was sooo mad, i started hitting on him, at that time in our lives he was a police officer he's lucky i didn't shoot him. Anyway, i may have to lock this machine up like i did my others to keep it safe from him, he just doesn't learn his lessons.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2 View Post
Not only did i tell DH about my bargin, i told DH, if he touches, he will lose his hands (lol) we have been married 40yrs this month and ever since i have known him, he takes things apart to see how they work, so this is an older machine and i can see him doing this, my dad has been gone since 1995 and he worked for a company that make grandfather clocks and he made one for me and my MIL, one night after i went to bed i woke up to the bonging of the clock and went out to investigate and guess who got caught in the headlight, and almost got hit with a bat. I was sooo mad, i started hitting on him, at that time in our lives he was a police officer he's lucky i didn't shoot him. Anyway, i may have to lock this machine up like i did my others to keep it safe from him, he just doesn't learn his lessons.
about fell off my chair laughing with the image of that!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 AM

You'll love it! It's a hard working little machine.