Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 72w19 Hemstitcher rescue >

Singer 72w19 Hemstitcher rescue

Singer 72w19 Hemstitcher rescue

Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 AM

Steve, that is such a nifty machine, and you did such a fantasic job cleaning it! Also, a good deed to the universe by saving it from becoming Lawn Trash.

Would you be willing to stitch a bit with it and show photos? I am curious as to what kind of a stitch it makes, with the twin-everything business going on!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Wow! I'm glad the seller had enough respect for the machine to sell it to you instead of the other person. It would have been a real shame for it to end up as a tractor in someone's yard.
Rodney
I so agree! This is a really cool machine and it would be such a shame to see it a rusted mess with some hunk of metal welded to it...glad you rescued it!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
...Would you be willing to stitch a bit with it and show photos? I am curious as to what kind of a stitch it makes, with the twin-everything business going on! Thanks :-)
You betcha. I am giving the base a good cleaning tonight and taking the CL photos. I have never even touched a two thread/needle machine before this one so it should be an interesting experience.

pics tomorrow, wish me luck.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 AM

Good luck!

I’ve been following this thread, and wishing that I hadn’t sold the one that I had. I never even got it cleaned it up or used it, but it had extra needles and piercers in a bag with it, so the new owners probably got it going. I haven’t ever heard any more from them. They’re the ones that I have mentioned before that drove straight through and back from Salt Lake City to pick it up here in Oklahoma. The middle-aged couple was in a minivan, and nearly worn out here at the half-way mark. They said that those straight-through road trips that they used to enjoy were more fun back when they were younger. LOL!

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine146_05.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
...They said that those straight-through road trips that they used to enjoy were more fun back when they were younger. LOL! CD in Oklahoma
LOL That is EXACTLY what I said when I went and picked up my Grover and Baker in Washington! the 36 hour road trip that in my 20-30's would have been no biggie was a butt kicker...

Cool pic, mine is missing the drawer. Based on the age of the head I suspect that this is a later base that it was "upgraded" into
Old 07-30-2014, 12:04 PM

The head is a 1935. What's yours?

CD in Oklahoma

ETA: Ooops! I see it's a 1911.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM

doing the happy dance here in SD!!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:20 PM

Getting a Hemmer?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-02-2014, 06:45 AM

for those waiting for pictures of the machine working, you'll have to wait a bit more . . . I'm so very excited about this machine - I seriously love hemstitchers and have quite an assortment of attachments for regular machines. When SteveH posted it was going on CL - my heart skipped a few beats.

I wonder if he'll send it back with some of the packing used to send him machines. Some of that packing has already made the trip more than once LOL!!

Steve shipped a White, I shipped the Polytype (he found and bought that one, I just picked up and shipped) then Steve shipped me the GE Sewhandy, and then I sent him the Davis VF low arm. Now he's sending the hemmer.

Sort of like playing tag . . .
Old 08-02-2014, 07:33 AM

That is the most complex underside of a machine that I've seen so far. Very cool!
Macybaby congrats on being able to work out a deal with Steve on it. It's nice to see it's going to stay in good hands.
Rodney