Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Adjustable Tube Foot How-to? >

Singer Adjustable Tube Foot How-to?

Singer Adjustable Tube Foot How-to?

Old 11-29-2015, 02:14 PM

Default Singer Adjustable Tube Foot How-to?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536693[/ATTACH]
Does anyone know of a source for instructions on how to use this type of tube foot? I've searched You-Tube and Google with no luck. Their is no Simanco ID inscribed on it either.
Attached Thumbnails tube-foot.jpg  
Old 11-29-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by lmc8 View Post
Does anyone know of a source for instructions on how to use this type of tube foot? I've searched You-Tube and Google with no luck. Their is no Simanco ID inscribed on it either.
Did it come with a vintage domestic machine? I haven't seen one like that - perhaps MacyBaby has.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:58 PM

I purchased it on ebay as a single item. I assume its vintage (a few small pin pricks of rust) and likely for industrial use (thick sturdy metal and possibly a high shank).
Old 11-29-2015, 04:12 PM

Does this vide help, it's not the same foot, looks similar with out the adjustment function.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:33 PM

Nope, that video is a gathering foot, I have one of those too. It may function similar though because the foot and vertical plate have a bit of spacing between them but I don't understand how the fabric would feed under and over the foot.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:45 AM

Just a guess but I found that shows the fabric being thread through the foot. http://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/p...e-presser-foot I'm guessing that it is somewhat similar to a binder in that the fabric goes through and keeps the stitches an even distance from the edge. The above site also shows which machines it fits. Maybe one of them has instructions on how to use it. I do see that there are some Singer machines listed. Maybe you could find a manual at singerco.com

Old 12-03-2015, 06:07 PM

That's it Janey, the photo explains how the tube feeds into and under the foot, still wonder what the washer is for though
Old 12-04-2015, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by lmc8 View Post
That's it Janey, the photo explains how the tube feeds into and under the foot, still wonder what the washer is for though
I thought I saw a video listing when I googled to find the above site, but can't find any now even putting in part #S533. My guess would be that the "washer" spring fits into the right side or it could have some sort of pin on underside of foot and used to guide fabric through the foot to keep fabric even on both sides of the stitching line.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:07 AM

Sorry, I only know about vintage SIMANCO domestic attachments. This looks like a light industrial, and this style is in current production. So there should be info on it available.

There are some really neat specialized feet available, and some have not significantly changed from what was available 50 years ago.

The vintage SIMANCO tube foot #35984, is very different looking, and the full set comes with two long tools that work with it (one is a tube turner, not sure what the other is). The set is #35985
Old 12-05-2015, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Sorry, I only know about vintage SIMANCO domestic attachments. This looks like a light industrial, and this style is in current production. So there should be info on it available.

There are some really neat specialized feet available, and some have not significantly changed from what was available 50 years ago.

The vintage SIMANCO tube foot #35984, is very different looking, and the full set comes with two long tools that work with it (one is a tube turner, not sure what the other is). The set is #35985
Cathy,

The other one is called a Strip Wire in the parts list, but is called a Threading Wire in the 1938 version of "Machine Sewing" and appears to be inserted into the attachment/foot while stitching. I also think that the flatter one could be used for straps that have one closed/stitched end. I remember turning straps over a pencil. The wire could probably be used to turn the strap when both ends of the strap are open and will be sewn into a seam, like for shoulder straps. I remember attaching a safety pin on one end and threading it through. I suppose you could make the strap longer if you close one end to turn and then cut off the closed end.