Singer Bentwood Cases

Old 10-07-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Singer Bentwood Cases

I was looking through some pictures of the domed bentwood cases on different blogs and web sites and I am curious if anyone knows the approx dates when Singer made changes to these cases

They changed the decal -
from the Singer insignia

to just the word Singer

I also noticed that some domes had smooth wooden handles

a ribbed 'beehive' handle

a smooth metal handle
Old 10-07-2015, 01:26 PM

I'm not sure there is a strict date line for any of them. Singer had factories in US, Scotland, Canada and Germany, for a while in France too I think. The cabinet makers had standard catalog of products, but I suspect there where a few differences, more so on the cabinets than the machines themselves.

For example, I have seen model 28 and 128 in both types of cases. I assume they stopped making the 28 about the same time 128 where introduced (1910?), though I know there were at least a few years of overlapping in production. Maybe a change around this time? I have only seen the 99 in the smooth case (introduced 1911?), but I have not seen them all
My model 99 made in 1934 has the last type of case with the beehive handle.

For a long time I thought the suite case type in faux paper crocodile and similar paper or leather was a sign of a later date, I have seen a few from the 1930s, but even more common in the 1950s. Then there suddenly appeared a machine in a suite case type box, dating to just a couple of years after 1900, all was suppose to be original machine and case. Before WWI making paper was an art different from today, and came in many qualities just not made anymore. It's hard to know what they had available with out doing a lot of research, and even harder to sort out when the different types of cases and linings were introduced.

I'm just thinking out loud really.

I'm not sure when the domed cases entered the scene either, the older ones like model 12 come in both the more square type case as well asthe bent wood, already in the 1880s.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-07-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Banned

It is also hard to judge ANY combination of machine and case after 75+ years. Folks always seem to claim that items were original, but when pressed for details it usually turns out that its was that way "as long as we've had it" and "the original owner told us it was..."

I had a two day discussion (read: argument) with a seller that insisted that their 1875 Singer 12 with a motor came from the factory that way because that is what their grandfather told them....

Mickey2 is correct, there was no "cutover" point for most of the items (machines, attachments, decals, etc) made by Singer. Travel from one side of the US to the other was slow and stock could not be wasted, so new things were made available and the old stock would be available as well, until it ran out.

EDIT: What you CAN do however is research the date of introduction of the new item
Old 10-07-2015, 02:35 PM

There is no such thing as an original cabinet or case, only one that is appropriate for the time and manufacturer. Singer dealers sold the cabinet and case that the customer wanted (and what they had available or could order). High-end machines often ended up with high-end cabinets, but not always.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
High-end machines often ended up with high-end cabinets, but not always.
With time I have discovered the distinction between high end and low end isn't as clear as it might seem to us 50 or 110 years later. For example, model 66 was the top model from it was introduced in 1900 until the 201 was introduced (1928?), but lived on as one of the best models for decades after. It's most important feature was the newly developed drop in bobbin case and occilating hook. I'm not sure when it was discontinued, but some time in the 1950s. By then it was far from state of the art, more in the direction of the old work horse.

The smaller model 99 is often looked upon as a lesser model too, however, at the time it was introduced (1911?) it certainly wasn't far behind any domestic machine. It was develped as a response to a cosumer demand for a smaller machine equivalent to model 28 and 27. Model 66 was just too large and heavy for some. The 99 quickly became popular for it's qualities; it's 3/4 size, a bit less heavy, better capacity bobbins (to the 28 at least) easy to use, dependable, perfect stitch as well as a bit less pricey. As the decades went on, it was given a back tack, new style tension dial, as well as a similar bobbin winder to the newer models. I can't complain much on it's stitch quality, the bobbin case is slighly different than on the 66, but it has flawless stitches.

Model 99 was a well built machine, but by 1950's it wasn't the latest anymore, even with the reverse stitch, the zigzaggers gradually became the new standard, as well as different colors. When the Asian model 15 copies entered the marked, it became to costly too produce these machines, they needed to develop new better equipped models. With the 1960s, we gradually loose the durable and hard wearing qualities of these old machines. What they don't have is zigzag and often not even back tack, but the build quality still stands as something very different to todays machines.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-07-2015 at 03:23 PM.