Singer Featherweight Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Tammi,

Sew-Classic has those. They're $1.39 USD, { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Spoo...oles-52239.htm }

Joe
That's a different pin... Her part number is 52239 which is helpfully described in my supplier's price list as "Spool Pin", so I can't tell what the difference is, unless it's just the multiple holes.

The one I'm referring to is here:
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/spo...g-machine.aspx

They describe it as for the 222,223, and the 31-15
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 PM

*** Occasionally mine will do the wrap around the spool pin thing and
*** I have found the thread need a little weight, so I run the thread
*** under the spool felt and put an empty wooden spool on top of it.

*** It works for me.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM

Tammi,

Sew-Classic used to sell the single hole pin like the one you listed. I have no idea why they quit.

Joe
Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
*** Occasionally mine will do the wrap around the spool pin thing and
*** I have found the thread need a little weight, so I run the thread
*** under the spool felt and put an empty wooden spool on top of it.

*** It works for me.

I find the wrap around the spool pin thing stopped for me once I took the crosswound thread off the spool pin and put it on the thread stand behind. This is how I learned that: http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...s-verse-cones/ There's also a video about it in their Thread Therapy videos. It might be the one they link to at the bottom of the page. The only thing I don't like about the article is that they say "Cones and spools". I have a lot of spools that are cross wound, so it's misleading. It's correct for their product, but almost any spool thread you buy today (other than specialty threads like metallic, silk, etc) is cross wound which is unfriendly to our vertical pins.

Tammi,

Sew-Classic used to sell the single hole pin like the one you listed. I have no idea why they quit.

Joe
The weird part is that they're listed separately in the price lists, so there is a difference. I wonder if the 5xxxx number has superceded the 12403 in recent time?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I find the wrap around the spool pin thing stopped for me once I took the crosswound thread off the spool pin and put it on the thread stand behind. This is how I learned that: http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...s-verse-cones/
Thanks, Tammi. That explains a lot of problems adjusting tension encountered before I started using the binder clip. Another mystery solved. I knew it couldn't totally be a little added tension which I tried compensating with adjustments. I knew the binder clip solved the tension problems but unknown to me it also solved the twist situation.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Tammi,

I read the article in the Superior site and all it did for me was raise questions.
I made several adapters so we could use the C&C machine quilting thread in the straight cardboard spools on our vintage to antique machines.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]461013[/ATTACH]
These spools are crosswound and work just great on my adapters. Of course the adapters are drilled a bit over sized so they can turn but we've used this thread on basically all our machines with good results.
Also, the Guttermann thread on regular spools is crosswound too and we've got no problems with it. So like you said, the article on the Superior site must just be for their thread.

As for that drilled spool pin, I bought one of the two hole versions some time back and put it on my SEWMOR 404. It fit perfectly and I've used the holes exactly once. I threaded a couple of cones through the pin for a photo op.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]461014[/ATTACH]
To tell the truth, I like my widget I showed on page one better.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails widget.jpg   sewmore-404-web.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 11:11 AM

Ron,

Thanks for the binder clip tip. I will use that the next time I use a cone. I have found, for me anyway, the cone feeds better out of a quart canning jar than a coffee cup. What I have done was tape a safety pin to the spool pin and run the thread through that but a binder clip will be simpler and I won't worry about needing the tape.

Chris
Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 AM

So like you said, the article on the Superior site must just be for their thread.
Hey Joe, that's not strictly what I said. The fact that they say cones are cross wound and spools are stack wound is all I said was specific to their thread. I have all manner of thread that's CW on spools (and I can't decide if Aurifil is a spool or a cone. It looks like a spool, but acts like a cone, and it's CW. )

To tell the truth, a lot of people never really notice a difference between having the CW thread on the vertical pin vs the thread stand. I noticed it because if I get sewing fast on the featherweight with CW thread on the pin, it jerks around and then it flies off the pin.

There are a few things that I think do this:

• CW on a vertical pin. You can see "Dr. Bob" demonstrate it. It herks and jerks about instead of winding off smoothly, because the cone wasn't meant to rotate. (Joe, I know you can't watch YouTube Videos, unless you downloaded the Firefox DownloadHelper plugin that I suggested - is this true even if you click on the "Gear" at the bottom of the video and set it to 144p for the resolution instead of the default of 480p?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1jq9QoP9jg
  • Poly thread has a tiny bit of stretch, so it's a little like pulling on an elastic and letting go
  • The arm on the FW is so short all of these movements are sort of exaggerated.

I demonstrated this to a lady in our sewing circle. I put a 1/3 of a spool of Aurifil on the vertical pin and wound a bobbin. This let her see it climb up and down the pin before it finally jumped off.

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Thanks, Tammi. That explains a lot of problems adjusting tension encountered before I started using the binder clip. Another mystery solved. I knew it couldn't totally be a little added tension which I tried compensating with adjustments. I knew the binder clip solved the tension problems but unknown to me it also solved the twist situation.
My pleasure! It's the same thing I experienced. All of the sudden like magic my weird little tension issues vanished.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 PM

Tammi,

We have downloaded the Firefox DownloadHelper plugin that you suggested, it didn't seem to help much.

Anyway, I guess I miss understood some of what you said. It happens. I have had CW thread launch off the spool pin. Funniest thing I've seen in a while. I've gotten in the habit of keeping one finger on the top of the spool. Keeps it from bouncing around. And I wind my bobbins fairly slow.

Joe
Old 02-08-2014, 03:47 PM

And so if you go to the link I posted from YouTube, then click on the downloadhelper Icon by the address bar and click the down arrow and select one of the versions to save, what does it do? IT should give you an option to save then it should just plug along until it's finished downloading it and you can watch it at will from your downloads folder...

What about the lower resolution setting? It's been years since you could even get a dial-up plan here, so I have no way of testing, but there's no reason for it not to work at all.

The thing about having a finger on the spool while sewing is that I quickly run out of hands to sew with. One for guiding, one for holding the spool, one for pins, etc... having to hold the spool just seems like a partial solution. Even just bobbin winding that way is no fun: One to hold the spool, one to tension the thread... (I like the tension I get better from tensioning the thread rather than weighting the spool)

Yes, a person should wind relatively slowly, but I provide extra tension when I wind, and it doesn't seem to cause many issues with the way I sew, even at extremely high speed sewing on a LA.